Politics Is Australia Already An Oligarchy

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2009
Belgrave
AFL Club
Geelong
Looking back on it, I am now bemused at Scott Morrison's verdict that his last election win was a "miracle". Rupert flies in and organizes the troops just prior to the election. Palmer spends more money than both major parties combined, and later boasts he helped get the LNP in. I think about how much power Kerry Stokes, Rhinehart, and others have over those who rule us. I even look at Albo, too s**t scared to say anything that might upset...... ANY of them.

About 90 years ago media baron Keith Murdoch was furious that the newly minted ABC was allowed to air the evening news on radio, potentially cutting into his evening print media. Even conservatives like Robert Menzies told him to go take a flying jump on that. Today, politicians tremble at Rupert's name. Our government energy and global warming policies are written by the mining billionaires. But should I call them that? Maybe just call them "mining oligarchs".

Last edited:
Always been the case though hasnt it.

The wealthy conservatives have the ear of the political class, but the low and middle class voters have the numbers - which at the end of the day is what really matters.

We certainly have a more transparent system than the USA, where it's perfectly legal for PAC's and Corporations to literally buy senators.

Murdochs influence has been somewhat diminished by the internet (however that's created a whole new raft of problems with fake news and campaigns of subversion rife on there). Most concerning with what you mention above was Palmers ability to influence the election by simply throwing (a lot of) money at a disinformation campaign, dressed up as a legit political one.

The wealthy conservatives have the ear of the political class, but the low and middle class voters have the numbers - which at the end of the day is what really matters.

We certainly have a more transparent system than the USA, where it's perfectly legal for PAC's and Corporations to literally buy senators.

Murdochs influence has been somewhat diminished by the internet (however that's created a whole new raft of problems with fake news and campaigns of subversion rife on there). Most concerning with what you mention above was Palmers ability to influence the election by simply throwing (a lot of) money at a disinformation campaign, dressed up as a legit political one.
You are right, that equation has always been the case.

But I don't know another time where the ruling elite outside politics had so much power, or that the power was concentrated just in individuals so much. Lang Hancock never had his daughter's wealth or influence. Frank Packer would have sold his soul for the clout that Rupert enjoys today.

In the end, its the long accumulation of wealth that tips it. The low and middle class voters might have the numbers, but it hasn't much helped their wages and salaries much over the past 45 years. The money flowed upwards. And now we have scenes like this

Forrrest wants good relations with China. Rupert wants us to be destroyed by China or something. I think he is still pissed off with China becasue they never let him in. Have you seen Andrew Bolts article today!? My God.

Forrrest wants good relations with China. Rupert wants us to be destroyed by China or something. I think he is still pissed off with China becasue they never let him in. Have you seen Andrew Bolts article today!? My God.

Rupert was in china, for about 20 years.

He bought into Star China Media, in 1992, and sold out in 2014

the issue with Star is he followed his old business model and loaded it up with sports. this didnt get punters on however.

what people dont realize with china is people everywhere have satellite tv, and i mean everywhere. drive through a shitty county 300km from anywhere, and the communal buildings will have a satellite dish next to them.

In china you get pretty much every national, provincial, and city tv network on your feed. so they have tonnes of content without having to pay for it. also while sport is popular, its not the same driver as the reality shows and their like.

Last edited:
I recall Murdoch wanted more in China. That he wanted to be a supporter of The ruling class there. And that they weren't so interested because they already had their own propaganda machine. Going by memory here

The OP has used to big word in the thread of his OP, 'Oligarchy'. Whilst he might have a point, he's outed himself as a pretentious flog on the subject after coming in to the defense a few months ago of an overt Oligarchy, China.

I'd like to know what the agenda someone has when they display blatant double standards, but in my eyes the OP has proven forever dishonest, on a level of the Oligarchy he mentions in this country.

Last edited:
I recall Murdoch wanted more in China. That he wanted to be a supporter of The ruling class there. And that they weren't so interested because they already had their own propaganda machine. Going by memory here

He def wanted more. Off mem it was similar to what he wanted here - more access for his stuff and handcuffs for the govt stuff. All I do remember is he wasn't making money like he thought he would

He def wanted more. Off mem it was similar to what he wanted here - more access for his stuff and handcuffs for the govt stuff. All I do remember is he wasn't making money like he thought he would
I'd guess it was influence and control he couldn't get there. News Corp was born as a propaganda machine for the big end of town. Influence and control is where their money comes from. People saying for years that Newscorp is losing money in Australia's print media. And yet he keeps it.

You really have a low opinion of those who put Governments into power & throw them out too.

One of the biggest changes has been the ALP losing organised labour & the votes that came with it, just as the Sunday sermon does not deliver votes these days.
Howard identified the aspirational vote than many identify these days the ALP seem to have trouble understanding why tradies dont vote Labor.

You really have a low opinion of those who put Governments into power & throw them out too.

One of the biggest changes has been the ALP losing organised labour & the votes that came with it, just as the Sunday sermon does not deliver votes these days.
Howard identified the aspirational vote than many identify these days the ALP seem to have trouble understanding why tradies dont vote Labor.

How many different threads have you defended Murdoch in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back