Is it worth joining the MCC waitlist at 23?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a $100 odd dollar sign up fee to go on the waitlist. better off just doing it.

I signed myself up in 2017 as a 30yr old. Shortly after, for my Brother in laws birthday, i signed him and his 3 year old son up and when my son was born 18 months ago, my brother in law got my son on the waiting list. We will all start to become members within a 3 or 4 year period which i think will be great.

Heading to the mcc reserve for the first time this wknd. Any recommendations as to which bar to have a beer pre game or something I should specifically check out?
With the weather predicted to be nice, get yourself to either Stumps Bar on level 1 in the outdoor area, or Robbie Flower Terrace up on the level 4 which has a deck that looks out over Yarra Park and the city. Enjoy.

As someone who has one, I don't think it is a membership worth having.

If you want to see your team play in a grand final - just by a grand final package if you make it. If you make it every 10 years an MCC membership would have cost you over $8k, the cheapest package is $1500. Given the price difference, you could splash for a $5k package and still be in front.

If it is the boxing day test, you can get excellent Day 1 packages for less than $200 and full test packages for less than $300. Or a general ticket for about $50.

If you just want to go to the footy, get the AFL silver membership at a tick under $650 with no waiting list.

It depends what you want it for - just to hang out and demonstrate your social aspirations and upward economic mobility then go for it!

For sport related experience - then no.
What he said.

I signed my kids up a couple of years ago (after procrastinating for a few years) and signed myself up at the same time. Sure I'll probably be dead by the time I finally get a membership but it was only $100 or so I think so I thought bugger it why not. AFL Membership only really guarantees a GF ticket if your club is competing these days since around 10k seats go to Medallion club, corporates and AFL staff.

Thanks for your input everyone!

I will try my best to join the list ASAP.

After all, who knows what kind of person I could be in 15 years...

Thanks for your input everyone!

I will try my best to join the list ASAP.

After all, who knows what kind of person I could be in 15 years...
Forget it..

You’ll be married with 2 kids and your wife will demand that you forget this MCC membership nonsense and instead focus on the private school fees for said kids and upgrading the electric car batteries that Elon will charge 50k for ..

Forget it..

You’ll be married with 2 kids and your wife will demand that you forget this MCC membership nonsense and instead focus on the private school fees for said kids and upgrading the electric car batteries that Elon will charge 50k for ..
I will be sending any theoretical kids to public schools, save the money for indoctrinating them into the godless world of Atheism. ;)

I was pondering whether it was worth me joining the MCC membership at my tender old age of 23. Most of the people I know were put down at birth, so they got in as they left their teenage years.

If it is worth it, my next task is to find two full members to nominate my application!

Cheers!
Even as a Melbourne fan I know some MCC members who should have been put down at birth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was pondering whether it was worth me joining the MCC membership at my tender old age of 23. Most of the people I know were put down at birth, so they got in as they left their teenage years.

If it is worth it, my next task is to find two full members to nominate my application!

Cheers!
Definitely worth it. It's been my signature gift for mates for their 21st or 30th's over the years - get the paperwork sorted and pay the (once $50, now $100) application fee. I can tell you they have ALL been thrilled when it's turned up in their late-30's or late-40's.

Get it done.

Is there anything different from watching the game in the mcc vs the southern stand? Other then the the fact you will mostly be sitting with boring old people?
The game looks a lot the same from the MCC, although there's some ripper vantage points (which I won't elaborate on because I've been using them for about 20 years and don't want to secret to get out). But the extra services - the full strength beer or cider served in glass schooners, the roast beef or chicken schnitzel with gravy rolls, the al fresco bars, the ease of getting in and around, not having to book a ticket so you can spontaneously just turn up with the certainty of a pretty good seat etc - are probably the points of difference for me at least.

Each to their own - $500/year well spent from my pov. But I get to go to 40-ish matches each season so it works out pretty cost effective (if I don't hit the bar every time that is)

The game looks a lot the same from the MCC, although there's some ripper vantage points (which I won't elaborate on because I've been using them for about 20 years and don't want to secret to get out). But the extra services - the full strength beer or cider served in glass schooners, the roast beef or chicken schnitzel with gravy rolls, the al fresco bars, the ease of getting in and around, not having to book a ticket so you can spontaneously just turn up with the certainty of a pretty good seat etc - are probably the points of difference for me at least.

Each to their own - $500/year well spent from my pov. But I get to go to 40-ish matches each season so it works out pretty cost effective (if I don't hit the bar every time that is)
How do you find time to go to 40 games a year? You live within walking distance?

I wish. Nah, just good old public transport DA. Obviously haven't hit that number in the past couple of years.

My brother lived in East Melbourne for a while and if there was a good game on would just stroll down and scan in with the AFL membership or even catch the tram down to Docklands.

How do you always get a good seat? The seats are no different to the rest Of the stadium. Some are extremely high up. Some are not.

and if you like going to 40 games i can see how that price is a benefit.

i cant imagine most people go to more then 10 then.

Still a restricted member, hoping to be a full member soon, but I'll let you all in on the real reason us MCC toffs cherish our memberships.

"It's not who's let in, but who's kept out."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back