Is it worth joining the MCC waitlist at 23?

Collingwood 4 eternity

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well if I was as rich as Elon Musk I would also

MR1RFs.png

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I was pondering whether it was worth me joining the MCC membership at my tender old age of 23. Most of the people I know were put down at birth, so they got in as they left their teenage years.

If it is worth it, my next task is to find two full members to nominate my application!

Cheers!

In 20 years you’ll be 43yo either way.

You can either have an offer of MCC membership, or not have the offer. Up to you.

The time is passing either way.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I’d say it is.

AFL membership isn’t a bad option either. But they’ve continually cut down the seats available to sit in over the last few years.

MCC has some nicer bars and pre Covid you had the option of just rolling into any game and sitting anywhere. Shame for some reason they’ve just got rid of that and brought in garbage seat booking which nobody wants.

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was pondering whether it was worth me joining the MCC membership at my tender old age of 23. Most of the people I know were put down at birth, so they got in as they left their teenage years.

If it is worth it, my next task is to find two full members to nominate my application!

Cheers!
Actually, just realised you are a Hawthorn supporter. Apparently that takes 5 years off the wait time.

pensivezero

Rookie
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Actually, just realised you are a Hawthorn supporter. Apparently that takes 5 years off the wait time.
Well, that's surprising!

Do still need to find two full members then. Maybe if they are Hawthorn supporters I would get 15 years off the waitlist!

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Heading to the mcc reserve for the first time this wknd. Any recommendations as to which bar to have a beer pre game or something I should specifically check out?

DrPowellPepper

All Australian
Jul 9, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham Spurs

Cheers!

Go for it mate. I was lucky enough for my old man put me on the list when I was born and Ive been forever thankful.
Sure at times in the last 15-20 years I’ve hardly gone and hated paying the $$$$
But I’ve also been to 100s of great games from the merger match to Warnies 700th.

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
My best mate is exactly one week older than me, has been a member for three years. His parents put him on the wait list at a very very young age.

BringOn2017

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Only real difference for me is full strength beer and the long room. Comfy leather seats with a bar next to me and I’m not cold ? Yes please

The only variable I would add is it helps a lot if your friends have memberships too (aka going to a privet school). Otherwise you end up just crossing over the public side anyway. Most of my friendship groups are not members.

If you work in the city and wear a suit and have friends that are members and go regularly, it would be easy just have a few beers in the long room post work and then watch the footy ( even if your team is not playing)

VernonSpots

Senior List
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I joined waitlist at Age 30 so sounds like I get provisional at 50 and maybe full at 60? I like it this way...I struggle to attend games live currenlty, so am timing the membership to come through when I am in retirement and have plenty of time 😁

Gtowncrow

Cheated out of Finals
Jul 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
As the home of Australian sport, I think it's well worth it.

There are more economical ways to watch the footy but a membership and waiting list so large says many, many also think it's worth it.

I like being able to usually get an excellent seat, particularly during the cricket season due to the members stand being in the shade.

If you have a chance to join and you love sport, go for it. Don't worry about the wait. It will pass and then you'll enjoy it for the rest of your life.

The MCC website has membership information which I think includes likely waiting times.

All the best mate...

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

Cheers!
Definitely worth it

You would not believe how many private school Hawks fan that have sucked me off in the MCC toilets.

Usually they say "jeffffff" while they do it. With a soft blowing noise, they focus on the "efffff" which is quite erotic and requires a circular breathing technique. Ironically similar to the technique required for the didgeridoo.

Also no indigenous folk allowed in to the mcc so you can feel safe and secure in Ur friendship circle.

Get on the list mate.

joe444

Club Legend
Jul 9, 2006
Franga
AFL Club
Geelong
It's archaic. Join the list.

My grandfather put me down at birth: 1974
I was a junior member at 1994; full member by about 2000.

It's a weird club. On one hand, it's completely unfair. On the other hand, the MCG doesn't exist without generations of members willing to pay a lot of money. That Southern Stand you sit in? Paid for by members. That Adelaide Oval redevlopment? Subsidised by MCC members. I've contributed tens of thousands to a 'club' that makes the game and its grounds possible. I'm a teacher earning $60,000 a year.

Our benefit? A probable seat on GF day.

So, to the anti-MCC people ... cheer up, bitch. We're paying for you.

Last edited:

pensivezero

Rookie
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Definitely worth it

You would not believe how many private school Hawks fan that have sucked me off in the MCC toilets.

Usually they say "jeffffff" while they do it. With a soft blowing noise, they focus on the "efffff" which is quite erotic and requires a circular breathing technique. Ironically similar to the technique required for the didgeridoo.

Also no indigenous folk allowed in to the mcc so you can feel safe and secure in Ur friendship circle.

Get on the list mate.
Now that's a perk I didn't think of.

Back