14 Willie Rioli WCE
13 Max King STK
13 James Sicily HAW
12 Heath Chapman FRE
12 Jack Crisp COLL
12 Lachie Neale BL
12 Joshua Rachele ADEL
12 Jayden Short RICH
I've been down this route before and even included games in which his numbers and SC numbers were huge. Thread would get bumped with praise from bulldogs posters and then Monday rolls around with Macrae getting donuts in the coaches votes.

And never any logical explanation as to why.

Not in the best 7.
Both coaches vote for 5 players. A player could be both coaches 6th choice and he would still get 0 votes.
Despite his stats and supercoach points.

It just proves the stats you keep pointing to aren't all that meaningful.
It doesnt prove that at all. They can be meaningful and Macrae can be an impactful player without being in the top 5 on the ground in an individual game.

He reminds me of a discount Kayne Turner in many ways

Well be got zero coaches votes. So the coaches don't rate him

2022 Coaches Votes Leaderboard

25 Patrick Cripps CARL
21 Andrew Brayshaw FRE
21 Jeremy McGovern WCE
20 Christian Petracca MELB
18 Touk Miller GCFC
17 Shai Bolton RICH
17 Jordan De Goey COLL
17 Tom Green GWS
17 Clayton Oliver MELB
16 Changkuoth Jiath HAW
16 Darcy Parish ESS
16 Bailey Smith WB
15 Tom Hawkins GEEL
15 Isaac Heeney SYD
14 Willie Rioli WCE
13 Max King STK
13 James Sicily HAW
12 Heath Chapman FRE
12 Jack Crisp COLL
12 Lachie Neale BL
12 Joshua Rachele ADEL
12 Jayden Short RICH
Your argument that 'the coaches don't rate him' doesn't really hold much weight when you see he's placed in the top 18 for the AFL coaches award for the past 4 seasons, including 3 top 10 finishes. Macrae is the only player in the competition who has sat in the top 20 for each of the last 4 seasons, there are 6 players who've been in it 3 of those 4.

But sure, go off a sample size of 4 games where the Dogs have lost 3.

Last edited:
Macrae is a bit like the rest of the Dogs midfield, not quick. Smith has some toe, but the rest although all great players lack a yard. Name one seriously quick player at the Dogs besides Johannison.
And Bailey Smith can't kick all that well either, but I think the whole Dogs midfield aside from Bont and Dunks is a little overstated. Smashed by ours, granted no Smith but we had no Cerra.

I think every one of the Dogs midfielders would be selected in every teams primary center bounce team, ours included - but I don't think anyone aside from Bontempelli is a superstar. Smith, Dunkley, Macrae are all very good though. Libba, Treloar also good players.

What I'm trying to say is that it's a bit stiff to say Macrae is overrated and only Macrae, really unfair on the guy. Who realistically rates him in the top 10 players in the comp? Nobody right? If he's 10-30 then I think that's accurate.

And Bailey Smith can't kick all that well either, but I think the whole Dogs midfield aside from Bont and Dunks is a little overstated. Smashed by ours, granted no Smith but we had no Cerra.

I think every one of the Dogs midfielders would be selected in every teams primary center bounce team, ours included - but I don't think anyone aside from Bontempelli is a superstar. Smith, Dunkley, Macrae are all very good though. Libba, Treloar also good players.

What I'm trying to say is that it's a bit stiff to say Macrae is overrated and only Macrae, really unfair on the guy. Who realistically rates him in the top 10 players in the comp? Nobody right? If he's 10-30 then I think that's accurate.

Our midfield hasn't been playing well. When up and going it's the 2nd best in the league behind the Demons.

So far in 2022 its middle rung

Our midfield hasn't been playing well. When up and going it's the 2nd best in the league behind the Demons.

It has been but I think your lack of pace in there is noticeable at times. Forgot about Treloar who is pretty sharp, maybe he needs to step up and provide a bit more outside run. As you say, it is early in the season and when up and running they are good, but the GF may have shaken them a bit.

I think it's very good, ignoring Carlton you have looked good. As below:
vs Demons (RD1)
+10 Clearances
-20 Contested Possessions
+26 Disposals

vs Sydney (RD3)
+9 Clearances
+24 Contested Possessions
+13 Disposals

vs Richmond (RD4)
+12 Clearances
=/= Contested Possessions
+37 Disposals

The Carlton game is the only one where you were smashed, like -70 in disposals, -7 Clearances and -38 in contested possessions. Bad night, but the rest of the year has been fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macrae is a bit like the rest of the Dogs midfield, not quick. Smith has some toe, but the rest although all great players lack a yard. Name one seriously quick player at the Dogs besides Johannison.
Melbourne doesn't have any really quick players either. Jayden Hunt we have but he isn't in our best 22. We have Oliver and Petracca who are super quick over 10-15m but not like 40metres or anything.

Bailey Smith is one hell of a player. I'd love him at the dees. He plays with aggression and he breaks the lines. He has good speed. He's a much better player than Cerra.
My take on the Bulldogs is that they are too deep in the midfield. I'd look to trade one or 2 of their mids to stock up their defence.

Yes very overrated, the whole mid apart from Bont think they are playing SuperCoach.

The fact we beat them with our VFL midfield is embarrassing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Your argument that 'the coaches don't rate him' doesn't really hold much weight when you see he's placed in the top 18 for the AFL coaches award for the past 4 seasons, including 3 top 10 finishes. Macrae is the only player in the competition who has sat in the top 20 for each of the last 4 seasons, there are 6 players who've been in it 3 of those 4.

But sure, go off a sample size of 4 games where the Dogs have lost 3.
I think he is a good player. 3rd best midfielder at the Mighty Dogs. 20th best mid in the comp.
Top 40-50 player in the comp.

Robbo has him 18th best player in the comp. So there is one prominent journo who over rates him.

I think he is a good player. 3rd best midfielder at the Mighty Dogs. 20th best mid in the comp.
Top 40-50 player in the comp.

Robbo has him 18th best player in the comp. So there is one prominent journo who over rates him.
The coaches rated him top 18 in the comp or better for the last 4 years, are they overrating him too? Who would be your top 18 of the 2021 season?

The coaches rated him top 18 in the comp or better for the last 4 years, are they overrating him too? Who would be your top 18 of the 2021 season?
Mitchell was 19th last year too.
No way is he top 40.

Last year was basically all midfielders.

I reckon MacRae is 40 to 50 in the comp. So far he's kicked one goal in four games. So I'm being kind. Blokes not playing include Greene, Martin, B King, Seedsman, Hipwood, Adams, Fyfe, Stringer, Hopper, Cunnington, Thomas, Merrett, Serong, Haynes, Salem, Aliir, Grimes, Papley, Sheed, Yeo.

That's 20 blokes not even playing who are similar standard to MacRae.

No way is he top 40.

I reckon MacRae is 40 to 50 in the comp. So far he's kicked one goal in four games. So I'm being kind. Blokes not playing include Greene, Martin, B King, Seedsman, Hipwood, Adams, Fyfe, Stringer, Hopper, Cunnington, Thomas, Merrett, Serong, Haynes, Salem, Aliir, Grimes, Papley, Sheed, Yeo.

Not sure what the relevance of Mitchell being 19th is. I'll repeat my question. Who would be your top 18 of the 2021 season?

No way is he top 40.

This is the reason why he's overrated. He's never been a goalkicker throughout his career. His game time percentage is low because he's useless when resting up forward.

I've always had him in my Fantasy teams, but whenever Bevo moves him onto a wing or half forward, he doesn't touch the ball.

He's a player that the opposition coaches wouldn't consider tagging. I'd rate him in the 10-20 bracket of best mids in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back