Media Is the 13th team a success? A conversation and travelogue with some random.

Remove this Banner Ad

We're now getting towards the pointy end of Season 34, a watershed season for the Sweet FA where a new team was introduced for the first time since S18. The Ophidian Old Boys joined the fray for this time around, and after starting strongly, tapered to a competitive but reduced effect as the results came in. Positioned just inside the eight, and a certain finals prospect if not among the most highly regarded, the new tenant at Spotswood Oval are only a couple of wins from the top (of course, also not many from the bottom either!) and boast the 3rd-highest percentage in the competition at this time.

As a founding member of this new entity, it was only fair that I sat down with myself to discuss the new team's impact on the league, it's expectations, and a third thing I can't think of but these are usually mentioned in threes.

Me: Welcome, me.
Also me: Hello. It's an absolute pleasure to be with me.
Me: I didn't expect to ever see me playing for another team. What inspired me?
Also me: I like it when big things happen. A new team entering the league is a major change. I wanted to play my part in ensuring it got over the line.
Me: You didn't play a part in ensuring the Vampires or the other one I can't remember got over the line.
Also me: I did vocalise my support, but no. I didn't join those bids myself. Then they failed. Or, more accurately, a pretence that they failed, was fabricated. This is why I got more involved this time.
Me: Do you enjoy your time at the Old Boys?
Also me: Not really. They are a bunch of old boys - what can I say. Google Riewoldt. I think I will have a scowl for the rest of my life.
Me: We always had a scowl.
Also me: Now we have a reason.
Me: Can the OOBs have a successful first season?
Also me: In terms of a flag? No. If there's one thing we want to avoid, it's 12 teams crying over concessions. I don't think the league can handle anything so pathetic. For the good of the Sweet FA, the Old Boys must not finish higher than 3rd this season. 3rd to 6th would look like an intense success, without inspiring questions about graft.
Me: Have I played any recent grand finallists? You mean, as a measure, a yardstick. PS: So to speak.
Also me: We're just about to. The next two rounds are versus the two Grand Finallists from last season. When I say two Grand Finallists, it must be remembered that only one of them turned up.
Me: Are you still sticking it to the Phoenix even after you have switched to another club?
Also me: Not really. Just thewizardmelon . Every thread must include a tag of that bloke to remind him about it.
Me: It's -
Also me: Only fair? Precisely.
Me: It's been a long time since I was playing for a different club. Is it weird?
Also me: S10 with the Mod Squad. They were s**t. Probably because they were full of mods. And their theme song of "Modding Major & General Boards" was just traumatic. I can't even remember those days.
Me: But the question is more about the team you are known for.
Also me: I'm not permitted to talk about them. My eyesight is already too good. Talk only about your current team.
Me: Will the Old Boys be a securely placed team in the league, ongoing? Or can something happen that kicks them out?
Also me: Only two things could make the venture fail now : the different fixture slash bye getting too much hate, or people just being campaigners. Seems the former has survived the test of experience, clubs have handled the bye and nobody raises the shorter Home & Away season as a negative anymore. And for the latter, I don't think anyone sees any gain in nobbling the expansion after the fact.
Me: And there is talk of another team on the horizon?
Also me: If they are self-sufficient, then sure. OOBs proved it can be done - we have some folks not turn up for the season, but overall, the league didn't get hurt at all. Even our slowest match threads have still been good fun. So another team bid simply needs to run the same gauntlet, and if they make it, they can only add even more value.
Me: Would you switch again?
Also me: I'm not allowed. Carrots. ******* carrots.
Me: * off.
Also me: I'm in your head.
Me: That's a cyst you idiot.

We're now getting towards the pointy end of Season 34, a watershed season for the Sweet FA where a new team was introduced for the first time since S18. The Ophidian Old Boys joined the fray for this time around, and after starting strongly, tapered to a competitive but reduced effect as the results came in. Positioned just inside the eight, and a certain finals prospect if not among the most highly regarded, the new tenant at Spotswood Oval are only a couple of wins from the top (of course, also not many from the bottom either!) and boast the 3rd-highest percentage in the competition at this time.

As a founding member of this new entity, it was only fair that I sat down with myself to discuss the new team's impact on the league, it's expectations, and a third thing I can't think of but these are usually mentioned in threes.

Me: Welcome, me.
Also me: Hello. It's an absolute pleasure to be with me.
Me: I didn't expect to ever see me playing for another team. What inspired me?
Also me: I like it when big things happen. A new team entering the league is a major change. I wanted to play my part in ensuring it got over the line.
Me: You didn't play a part in ensuring the Vampires or the other one I can't remember got over the line.
Also me: I did vocalise my support, but no. I didn't join those bids myself. Then they failed. Or, more accurately, a pretence that they failed, was fabricated. This is why I got more involved this time.
Me: Do you enjoy your time at the Old Boys?
Also me: Not really. They are a bunch of old boys - what can I say. Google Riewoldt. I think I will have a scowl for the rest of my life.
Me: We always had a scowl.
Also me: Now we have a reason.
Me: Can the OOBs have a successful first season?
Also me: In terms of a flag? No. If there's one thing we want to avoid, it's 12 teams crying over concessions. I don't think the league can handle anything so pathetic. For the good of the Sweet FA, the Old Boys must not finish higher than 3rd this season. 3rd to 6th would look like an intense success, without inspiring questions about graft.
Me: Have I played any recent grand finallists? You mean, as a measure, a yardstick. PS: So to speak.
Also me: We're just about to. The next two rounds are versus the two Grand Finallists from last season. When I say two Grand Finallists, it must be remembered that only one of them turned up.
Me: Are you still sticking it to the Phoenix even after you have switched to another club?
Also me: Not really. Just thewizardmelon . Every thread must include a tag of that bloke to remind him about it.
Me: It's -
Also me: Only fair? Precisely.
Me: It's been a long time since I was playing for a different club. Is it weird?
Also me: S10 with the Mod Squad. They were s**t. Probably because they were full of mods. And their theme song of "Modding Major & General Boards" was just traumatic. I can't even remember those days.
Me: But the question is more about the team you are known for.
Also me: I'm not permitted to talk about them. My eyesight is already too good. Talk only about your current team.
Me: Will the Old Boys be a securely placed team in the league, ongoing? Or can something happen that kicks them out?
Also me: Only two things could make the venture fail now : the different fixture slash bye getting too much hate, or people just being campaigners. Seems the former has survived the test of experience, clubs have handled the bye and nobody raises the shorter Home & Away season as a negative anymore. And for the latter, I don't think anyone sees any gain in nobbling the expansion after the fact.
Me: And there is talk of another team on the horizon?
Also me: If they are self-sufficient, then sure. OOBs proved it can be done - we have some folks not turn up for the season, but overall, the league didn't get hurt at all. Even our slowest match threads have still been good fun. So another team bid simply needs to run the same gauntlet, and if they make it, they can only add even more value.
Me: Would you switch again?
Also me: I'm not allowed. Carrots. ******* carrots.
Me: * off.
Also me: I'm in your head.
Me: That's a cyst you idiot.

10/10 thread idea. 1/10 thread execution.

-5 bonus points for another grand final tag.

Overall, 6/20 or 30% 👏🏼😅

I neither think they’ve brought anything or taken anything from the league, although I’m yet to play a bye and we played them early on. It kind of feels like I’ve seen less of their posting group but that may be because some were bigger elements at other clubs.

Imo the shorter season is the biggest difference, there’s always teams you like playing more than once so it’s a shame it could be 5-6 months until a replay and that dynamic will be shot anyway. The guaranteed three games in a calendar year was always on the money. I’ve never felt my own personal engagement to be lower (yes, some may see that as a positive).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back