Opinion Is the stand rule stopping you from going to games ? (poll)

Is the stand rule stopping you from going to games ?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah not really, you are just being dramatic. The reason people are not going anymore is scheduling, price and add in the never ending train disruptions due to Dan Andrews' so called Big Build which will never end, not some rule.

Want something to whinge about, you can whinge when Richmond once again start the season with back to back thursday night games, only two possible games for thursday round 2 and they are Coll/Rich and Carl/Gee.
You really think even 10 more bucks for a ticket or an extra 5 minutes on the train is what's stopping rusted on fans from going to games?

How do you dismiss the poll completely and start blaming BS like that as more of a reason than the actual game being ruined.

attendance is definitely down for the tiger army . look at poll results here because of the stand rule. these are die hard Richmond fans, if its stopping die hards from going then the non and semi die hards have already left

we made the 8 and got outdrawn by colonwood and carltoon. carltoon play most games at shitihad. they simply dont have the drawing power to outdraw a top 8 Richmond (without these rule changes)

remove stand rule and we are top again
The stand rule as much as fans of 17 clubs hate it is not going anywhere as the AFL would rather wind it back during a season rather than getting rid of it, it's up to Richmond to exploit it and benefit from it.

The stand rule as much as fans of 17 clubs hate it is not going anywhere as the AFL would rather wind it back during a season rather than getting rid of it, it's up to Richmond to exploit it and benefit from it.
17 other clubs also hate it apart from scats who it was brought in for and who wouldnt have won a flag if it wasnt for the rule

1 club hates it the most because it was specifically brought in to fu*k up our dynasty (scats couldnt beat us in 3 finals series) by an ex cats bloke who ran back to that same football club the following year

thats why 100% of rfc fans wont go until it is removed. it was targeted at us and our supporters know that. get ready for a half arsed tiger army again if its not removed. it doesnt affect other clubs attendance like it does ours because they were not the target

You really think even 10 more bucks for a ticket or an extra 5 minutes on the train is what's stopping rusted on fans from going to games?

How do you dismiss the poll completely and start blaming BS like that as more of a reason than the actual game being ruined.
Yes, when buses replace trains the trip in and back gets time consuming. I missed games this year for that exact reason. Now for me door to door the travel time is 90 minutes without the replacement buses, not everyone lives within a stones throw of the city.

Cost of food and drink at the ground mounts up especially for families.

As for the poll, that's the posters on here, all 58 of them so far, Richmond have 100,000 members, you would be lucky to have 0.5% of people staying away because of the stand rule.

Yes, when buses replace trains the trip in and back gets time consuming. I missed games this year for that exact reason. Now for me door to door the travel time is 90 minutes without the replacement buses, not everyone lives within a stones throw of the city.
How about the people that have been making 3 hour trips for decades to attend games? Never seen any of them use it as an excuse to not attend games. Yeah the extra travel time at the moment is a pain in the ass, but bottom line is the actual game being rooted (even more so from a Richmond standpoint) really should be a bigger concern than some temporary extra travel time to get there.

As for the poll, that's the posters on here, all 58 of them so far, Richmond have 100,000 members, you would be lucky to have 0.5% of people staying away because of the stand rule.
Sorry mate but even with a small sample size a 62% majority isn't going to magically become 0.5%(lol) just because you expanded it. All these people voting they're staying away for one specific reason is a pretty good indicator something is wrong here. Ridiculous to try write it off as nothing just because you personally don't see it as much of an issue and have different reasons for not attending.

I'm sick of getting ****ed over by the umps. The stand rule is a manifestation of that in addition to the general reaming we get. I renewed my membership this year but only for a three game membership coz I wanted to keep my consecutive years. I would normally get to 90% of the games at the G. But I can't be ****ed any more.

I have zero interest in attending afl games as long as they continue to shove the farcical stand rule down our throats . I'm actually proud of the fact that the last game I attended was the 2019 grand final. If they remove the stand rule I'll definitely start attending games again. I reckon the afl has lost a s**t tonne of money from Richmond fans not attending because of it

what about you ? Is the stand rule stopping you from going to games ?
No because I usually sit on the train

More than a Minor rule change, absolutely.

But people will blame the umpires or rules because they're embarrassed and don't want people to think they're fair-weather supporters.

More than a Minor rule change, absolutely.

But people will blame the umpires or rules because they're embarrassed and don't want people to think they're fair-weather supporters.
What are you basing that on though. I don’t buy that anyone is using that as some sort of cover story to bail on the club. I mean we’re within a whisker of being 3rd favs for the flag next year, it’s not like we’re even sh*t for that to be happening

The stand rule alone does not stop me from going, but it’s just one of a plethora of changes and measures (I want use the word initiatives) the AFL has introduced that have reduced it to unwatchable a lot of the time.
I also have a big issue with corrupt and woke organisations like the AFL continually engaging in social engineering and manipulating outcomes to suit itself ( The Boys’ Club by Michael Warner is a brilliant read).
Just get back to basics and concentrating on good football.
Rule changes in general have come far too often and most have not been for the better.
Think of cricket, basketball, golf, netball, any sport … none introduce new rules every year or even every 5 or 10 years. So, why does the AFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you basing that on though. I don’t buy that anyone is using that as some sort of cover story to bail on the club. I mean we’re within a whisker of being 3rd favs for the flag next year, it’s not like we’re even sh*t for that to be happening
There's just plenty of far more logical reasons for why our crowds are down.

We missed the 8 last year, and were on the cusp this year after being top 4 from 2017-2019.
Covid protocols and Hesitancy early in the season was still a thing.
Interest rates and cost of living increases means people have to make cuts.
2 years of no football means the ritual of attending was broken for many.

There's just plenty of far more logical reasons for why our crowds are down.

We missed the 8 last year, and were on the cusp this year after being top 4 from 2017-2019.
Covid protocols and Hesitancy early in the season was still a thing.
Interest rates and cost of living increases means people have to make cuts.
2 years of no football means the ritual of attending was broken for many.
People don't attend games for all different types of reasons, doesn't mean what's being discussed here isn't one of them.

It's like if a movie didn't do well at the box office and you say well it was playing it bad locations, people had trouble getting there, ticket prices are expensive etc etc, and ignoring the big reason why a lot of people didn't go see it - it's just a sh*t movie

Cost of food and drink at the ground mounts up especially for families.

It's a combination of things progressively culminating in more and more hurdles being placed upon the average punter year after year that has turned the game day experience to a F'kn chore.

.Match scheduling espicially Thursday nights
.Travel time and traffic congestion
.Restricted parking
.F Wits on public transport
.Ticketing - digital and the need to have them
.Over priced food & drink
.F wit so-called supporters who are too busy talking s**t or barracking for their F'kn multi bet to actually WATCH the game
.Bloody annoying music and s**t talkers at each break
.Censored free speech

I can go on and on.

I'm a 44 year member this year and I'll continue to be a member for as long as my backside is pointing to the ground, but I will be lucky to attend half a dozen games in 2023.

I recall being amongst the crowd of 5000 on a cold, wet winters day for a Richmond v Bears game in 1987. As s**t as we were I so much more enjoyed going back then.

The stand rule no doubt pisses a lot of us off, but all the issues above dwarf the stand rule for reasons no to go to the footy.

It's a combination of things progressively culminating in more and more hurdles being placed upon the average punter year after year that has turned the game day experience to a F'kn chore.

.Restricted parking
.F wit so-called supporters who are too busy talking s**t or barracking for their F'kn multi bet to actually WATCH the game
.Censored free speech

I can go on and on.

I'm a 44 year member this year and I'll continue to be a member for as long as my backside is pointing to the ground, but I will be lucky to attend half a dozen games in 2023.

I recall being amongst the crowd of 5000 on a cold, wet winters day for a Richmond v Bears game in 1987. As s**t as we were I so much more enjoyed going back then.

The stand rule no doubt pisses a lot of us off, but all the issues above dwarf the stand rule for reasons no to go to the footy.
For me personally those things have never stopped me from going. That’s just stuff you put up with as a great game makes it all worth it. Take away the great game part and then you start to look at things like that if it’s really worth it

The actual game becoming a farce is the one thing I won’t put up with and sh*t like the stand rule is a key part of it. Each to their own I guess.

Yes but my point was more that 666 was brought in mainly to stop Dimma placing two extra defenders behind the ball from restarts.

It made us almost impossible to score against, we almost always created a turnover and then ran in waves surging the ball forward. Scott and SHocking nearly lost their minds, conspired to change the rule and the fundamentals of the game (starting positions !) and the rest is history.

Ok so maybe we do get some benefit from it now, but how dare they change the rules to stop ostensibly one team. They didn't even hide their disdain for Richmond football.

Now, they're sitting there having taken the teeth out of the tiger and sipping the Kool aid out of the premiership cup. It will always have an asterisk for me.

It's the principle. Stop changing the bloody rules to suit your own team !
Sure but we’ weren’t only side to put numbers back , heck we still do , as our rivals do too , watch melb and syd play , same with stand rule cats exploited man on mark prior to rule too , remember marlion handball being smothered in GF after his free kick

.Restricted parking
.Censored free speech

I can go on and on.

Yes to points 1-4, not sure how you could miss the days we won 4 games a year , but ea to their own

Sure but we’ weren’t only side to put numbers back , heck we still do , as our rivals do too , watch melb and syd play , same with stand rule cats exploited man on mark prior to rule too , remember marlion handball being smothered in GF after his free kick
We don't start after each goal with an 8 man backline like we did. It's why we got so much turnover ball. The rest is history. Anyway, Hocking admitted he changed the rules to (stop Richmond's style (he thought it was an ugly look for the game) it's not even a debate.

Yes to points 1-4, not sure how you could miss the days we won 4 games a year , but ea to their own
Of course I don't miss the days we were an unprofessional, poorly administered rabble. My point is going to the footy back then was more enjoyable.

If Richmond games were not televised live, I would put up with the points I have raised and go.

But these days as I can sit in my man cave with a few mates, walk 5 paces and open my bar fridge, light up a smoke, curse any campaigner I like, not have to worry about organising tickets, not have to lose 3 hours on a round trip, not have to put up with morons barracking for their multi bets - the choice becomes easy.

Of course I don't miss the days we were an unprofessional, poorly administered rabble. My point is going to the footy back then was more enjoyable.

If Richmond games were not televised live, I would put up with the points I have raised and go.

But these days as I can sit in my man cave with a few mates, walk 5 paces and open my bar fridge, light up a smoke, curse any campaigner I like, not have to worry about organising tickets, not have to lose 3 hours on a round trip, not have to put up with morons barracking for their multi bets - the choice becomes easy.
Well I can’t separate the two , back then we lost most of the time so it was s**t , when i go to the footy these days I reasonably expect to WIN , big difference

will never forget the survey the afl did after the first year of the stand rule in 2021/early 2022, the biggest issue amongst the supporters was rule changes and the afl pleasing media didnt even report on it. they ignored it and rolled with gambling and ticketing which came second and third

Well I can’t separate the two , back then we lost most of the time so it was s**t , when i go to the footy these days I reasonably expect to WIN , big difference
If we talk about results, no doubt these days it's much more enjoyable.

But if we talk about what's stopping us from going to the football (as per the thread title), then these days it's much less enjoyable for the reasons I've outlined previously.

Back