Opinion Is there a God? Atheists, agnostics and believers please slug it out here.

Remove this Banner Ad

All the hundreds of thousands of religions since the human species started were ALL 100% sure their religion was right and their "god/s" were real...

But Sirlothie is the only one who is actually correct, all the others were just pretenders.
I'm guessing that unless god is forgiving, there will be a lot of disappointed people who get turned around when they die as they worshiped the wrong incarnation of a deity.

I'm guessing that unless god is forgiving, there will be a lot of disappointed people who get turned around when they die as they worshiped the wrong incarnation of a deity.
Especially if you're a Jehova Witness.

Let's just say some god exists, If I've (well not me :p) has lived a good life, I've been a "good person" but I don't believe or have never worshiped him, I don't get to go to heaven?

In that case, * him because it's all about his ego.

Its all relative. The Earth is heavy to us but we could be a molecule inside a molecule, the entire universe could be microscopic for all we know.
And why would that affect whether God could create a boulder so heavy that even he/she/it cannot lift it?

Surely God can create a boulder of limitless size, but by the same token he/she/it has limitless strength?

I'm not sure who it was (Voltaire maybe?) who said "If God didn't exist, then Man would find a need to invent him"

Fits nicely under surveillance theory within social psychology. Most people adapt their behaviours, become more compliant, as the probability increases that any transgression will be seen.

Because God is omniscient, all-seeing, he decreases some moral transgressions in the genuinely God-fearing.

As an atheist, I only fear CCTV cameras.

Last edited:
And why would that affect whether God could create a boulder so heavy that even he/she/it cannot lift it?

Surely God can create a boulder of limitless size, but by the same token he/she/it has limitless strength?

Yes, accommodation of dual states is one way to potentially unlock this paradox ('and' defeating 'or').

Another way to unlock is to recognise that God's only limitation on His capacity is that he cannot become unGod.

Not being able to lift a boulder would be unGodly.

Thus the paradox is mere Sophistry and a thought experiment that collapses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, accommodation of dual states is one way to potentially unlock this paradox ('and' defeating 'or').
Is that another way of saying that God is currently successfully deadlifting a boulder of ever-increasing mass?

At the heart of the contradiction about God is the impossibility of omnipotence as a concept. A thing (here God) can't be everywhere - unless of course we just bundle everything physical up and say that a thing (God) is everything. That is a formulation full of problems. It has an impressive quantitative appeal but the quality, I'm not so sure. It gives all sorts of organic and non living objects indistinguishable agency. Holy mops and partially omnipotent Jive Bunnies.

If omnipotence is about some immaterial 'spirit' then is God a unicorn in a movie for instance?

How the hell should I know? I wouldn't be mocking him just in case though yeah? They'd hang you guys in some countries for this blasphemy.

Well how can you know about his presence if you can't locate him physically?

Humans can only know things in two ways - through the physical senses and abstract reasoning. If there is no getting a grip on God through the senses, then we must reason logically.

When there is no sensory proofs and you refuse to look at reasoning then that is blind faith. Martin Luther and Rene Descartes weren't afraid to reason and test their faith. In fact they were more spiritual Christians than most because they really tested it to be sure it was robust. Could this thread be a test for you from God?

At the heart of the contradiction about God is the impossibility of omnipotence as a concept. A thing (here God) can't be everywhere - unless of course we just bundle everything physical up and say that a thing (God) is everything. That is a formulation full of problems. It has an impressive quantitative appeal but the quality, I'm not so sure. It gives all sorts of organic and non living objects indistinguishable agency. Holy mops and partially omnipotent Jive Bunnies.

If omnipotence is about some immaterial 'spirit' then is God a unicorn in a movie for instance?

He is not bound by the same Earthly constraints you or I are...

Humans can only know things in two ways - through the physical senses and abstract reasoning. If there is no getting a grip on God through the senses, then we must reason logically.

When there is no sensory proofs and you refuse to look at reasoning then that is blind faith. Martin Luther and Rene Descartes weren't afraid to reason and test their faith. In fact they were the most spiritual because they really tested it to be sure it was robust.

You live in a box mate.

When there is no sensory proofs and you refuse to look at reasoning then that is blind faith. Martin Luther and Rene Descartes weren't afraid to reason and test their faith. In fact they were more spiritual Christians than most because they really tested it to be sure it was robust. Could this thread be a test for you from God?

You on the one hand discount things that you cannot comprehend or understand yet the entire universe no one yet comprehends or understands it's scope or size or what it consists of beyond a couple of light years so the very thing in which you exist in you or anybody cannot possibly comprehend, yet you banish the possibility of the existence of God totally... how's that for logic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back