Is this our deep-seated issue!?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is comfortably your most non-nonsensical post thus far.

So if we win the wooden spoon this year...we're not in trouble because you didn't expect us to win the flag? I'm convinced you post in your sleep. It's the only thing that explains your posting over the last few weeks.

AH - your emotions unfortunately cloud your logic and ability to sensibly discuss issues.

Where did I state that winning the wooden spoon WOULD NOT suggest we are in massive trouble?

I am simply saying at 1-3 we ARE NOT IN MASSIVE trouble, unless you believe we would win the flag this year.
It would be a MASSIVE set back for a flag contenders like RICH as it is for FREO.
Therefore Both FREO and RICH are in MASSIVE trouble, not COLL.

We certainly have issues. but given most commentators picked us to finish outside the 8, our results are probably par for the course.
Winning the wooden spoon at the end of the season - is a very different story.

Where is our soul? Is Gary Pert the devil incarnate? I don't really have much idea about the man, but somewhere in our corporate and financial expansion, the sponsors queuing up to sponsor us, and our newly renovated palatial headquarters, we have lost something really vital.

I am a supporter of most of what Ed and Pert have done, on the basis that it would make us a better club and team, and WIN FLAGS. But I just feel so empty and disappointed, after so many false starts of the last few years. I think I want to go away and hide and ponder on this 'soul' thing.

It is a sad state, and those of us who grew up going to Victoria Park know very well the difference between Collingwood "the community" and Collingwood "the company".

I don't buy the argument that this is corporatisation, and that's that. I've said it before, only need to look at EPL clubs and how they've maintained their 'spirit' despite mass corporatisation. You can go big, while staying true to your origins.

We've lost that. We have a CEO that uses us as cash cows, and that's it. What's Pert's salary? We make all this money, and so little has gone into social club facilities or supporter engagement.

Both the president and the CEO have an air of being aloof, and thus, disconnected from the Collingwood base. Their time is done.

It is a sad state, and those of us who grew up going to Victoria Park know very well the difference between Collingwood "the community" and Collingwood "the company".

I don't buy the argument that this is corporatisation, and that's that. I've said it before, only need to look at EPL clubs and how they've maintained their 'spirit' despite mass corporatisation. You can go big, while staying true to your origins.

We've lost that. We have a CEO that uses us as cash cows, and that's it. What's Pert's salary? We make all this money, and so little has gone into social club facilities or supporter engagement.

Both the president and the CEO have an air of being aloof, and thus, disconnected from the Collingwood base. Their time is done.

I didn't give the post a like because I'm not convinced either way, but there was a lot to like about your post, I agree with a lot of that.

Last edited:
Is our borderline incestuous mindset of having a CEO/President/Coach all the way down to the boot studder be a former player, the staunchest of Pies supporters or at least live in the suburb of Collingwood part of what is wrong with our club!?

It's extremely hard to see the bigger picture or even be rational in difficult times especially for fans but surely there must be times where passion for the guernsey is a detriment to progression or decision making at a high level within our organisation.

Is it time for a clean out?
Fresh set of eyes and ideas that doesn't have black and white running through their veins!?

Our last 2 premiership coaches were from other clubs with no connection to us.

Discuss.

Well going by our last 4 Coaches in Matthews,Shaw,Malthouse and Bucks. The 2 ex-pies players sent us backwards the 2 Non-Pies won us flags

Well going by our last 4 Coaches in Matthews,Shaw,Malthouse and Bucks. The 2 ex-pies players sent us backwards the 2 Non-Pies won us flags

Can't remember if Matthews was an assistant elsewhere before coming to Collingwood, but the main reason (I think) that Shaw and Buckley failed/are failing is that they never did a proper coaching apprenticeship.

I've been thinking about our recent form slump and it hit me: the players don't know which of them had positive hair tests.
So our form slump is:
Not a coaching problem
Not a recruiting problem
Not a game-plan problem
Its a trust problem - the players don't trust each other. They don't know which of their teammates broke the rules and, opened the club up to the same shame Keeffe and Thomas did. That's why we're playing terribly - the players don't want to work for each other as any one of them could be responsible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been thinking about our recent form slump and it hit me: the players don't know which of them had positive hair tests.
So our form slump is:
Not a coaching problem
Not a recruiting problem
Not a game-plan problem
Its a trust problem - the players don't trust each other. They don't know which of their teammates broke the rules and, opened the club up to the same shame Keeffe and Thomas did. That's why we're playing terribly - the players don't want to work for each other as any one of them could be responsible.

except our form slump started after the break midway through last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back