Is this the worst post war government?

Remove this Banner Ad

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
After todays utterly shambolic display, abandoning supposedly vital national security legislation to save the PM personal embarrassment, all signs are pointing to yes.

Everything they touch turns to s**t. Every decision seems little more than rushed and cynical political calculation.

Imagine making the encryption bill a centrepiece of a fortnight long campaign to wedge opposition, rushing it through without a thought for expert and industry concern, only to chuck a shitfit and go home early, after already greatly reducing sitting days in the future parlimentary year, just so they can deny medical attention to sick children.

After todays utterly shambolic display, abandoning supposedly vital national security legislation to save the PM personal embarrassment, all signs are pointing to yes.

Everything they touch turns to s**t. Every decision seems little more than rushed and cynical political calculation.

Imagine making the encryption bill a centrepiece of a fortnight long campaign to wedge opposition, rushing it through without a thought for expert and industry concern, only to chuck a shitfit and go home early, after already greatly reducing sitting days in the future parlimentary year, just so they can deny medical attention to sick children.

Here’s a few paraphrased quotes from our tough guy PM

Morrison last year after the Royal Commission into child molestation - “I’m going to personally go after people who mock Christianity”

Morrison as PM - “transgender children are flooding our public schools”

Morrison as PM - “I’m not sure whether we should act on children being kicked out of schools because of who they are”

Morrison as PM - “I’m not going to act on this”

Morrison as PM - “Merry Christmas to the sick children stuck on Nauru”

Not even the worst government this decade. How old are you?

You're a joke if you're honestly saying this rabble isn't worse than R/G/R was.

It's been 1 debacle after another since the millisecond that coward abbott got in.

Answer.

Clearly, though you need to include the entire fiasco of Abbott, Turnbull and now Slomo.

Not one of them is more than 30% of a Prime Ministers a-hole.

What a load of human effluent we have had to endure from the Liberal party under the two halfwits who book ended Malcolm Turnbulls massive backdown from his own principles.
The sooner they idiot bookends meet their alleged maker the better.

Malcolm should have live with his betrayal of all he believed for a sliver of power into old age as a reminder to other would be Pollies.

Question.

What no poll?

Although Morrison has been inept, I'm reluctant to label his government as the worst post-war government simply because he hasn't been in the job long enough (and because it looks very likely that he'll only serve 9 months in total before being voted out), plus the situation he finds himself in (replacing a personally popular PM with only a relatively short time until an election) is such that he would be on a hiding to nothing even if he was actually somewhat competent.

I would say that of the post-war governments, Abbott's was down there with McMahon/Gorton (the latter is more fondly remembered than he deserves to be).

Although Morrison has been inept, I'm reluctant to label his government as the worst post-war government simply because he hasn't been in the job long enough (and because it looks very likely that he'll only serve 9 months in total before being voted out), plus the situation he finds himself in (replacing a personally popular PM with only a relatively short time until an election) is such that he would be on a hiding to nothing even if he was actually somewhat competent.

I would say that of the post-war governments, Abbott's was down there with McMahon/Gorton (the latter is more fondly remembered than he deserves to be).
Menzies-Holt-Gorton-McMahon = Vietnam.
It's a 4-way deadheat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PMs have been changing so much lately I think there’s a case you just lump the current one in with Abbott/Turnbull, both of whom were appalling.

I think we’re in Worse Than McMahon territory, or very close to it.

Last edited:
Fraser had some great policies.
Ask any Vietnamese what they think of that particular Malcolm.
He saved 10 of thousands of lives and enriched our society in the process.
Abbott the campaigner and his party of ideologues should look to Fraser rather than their own tiny minds for inspiration.

You could certainly add Howard as he is directly responsible for the foreign invasions which caused a good proportion of the refugee crisis which started the current boat problem.
Howard could in fact be guilty of Lying to the Parliament. Love to see him charged for his many blatant lies to the Parliament regarding many issues in his PM'ship.

PMs have been changing so much lately I think there’s a case you just lump the current one in with Abbott/Turnbull, both of whom were appalling.

I think we’re in Worse Than McMahon territory, or very close to it.

Turnbull was a big disappointment but he didn't plumb Abbott's depths of insanity.

I wish there were posters here who remembered McMahon/Gorton so we could compare them all properly.

Media opinion slowly seems to be shifting towards yes.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12...onal-security-in-anti-labor-campaign/10595540
Coalition enters 'death-rattle mode'
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12...onal-security-in-anti-labor-campaign/10595540

To suggest they are in this state only a couple of months into Morrison's tenure is bleak.

He constantly leans on rage and almost incoherent attacks, whilst making alarming decisions that have real consequences for the country, with only mean short term personal poltical gain in mind. You can't make rash decisions in a Trumpian manner, when nobody actually likes you and you don't exercise the extraordinary power of being head of the worlds largest economy.

You’re referring to Abbott I assume?
No, sadly he isn't.

Abbott wasn't this bad BTW, because most of his gaffs and opportunism were initially consigned to unimportant things. Plus it all didn't start to unravel until further into his tenure.

From off the bat Morrison has been pure shite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back