Toast Is Tom Hawkins the Best All-Round Forward in the AFL Right Now?

Is Tom Hawkins the Best All-Round Forward in the AFL Right Now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

08-11. It was at the end of 2011 that he secured a spot.

Being inferior at his other role to Pavlich in his other role doesn’t have an effect on their careers as forwards and the comparison between the two
In 2008 Geelong recorded 954 hit-outs. In 2009 it was 955 hit-outs. In 2010 it was 926 hit outs. In 2011 it was 996 hit-outs. TH had 3, 30, 96 and 75 hit-outs in those years so I’m pretty certain he wasn’t being shunted into the ruck too often meaning he was still mostly forward and in a position to kick goals, in those years and in the years since.

Meanwhile Pav wasn’t in a position to kick goals because he was playing full-back in 2002. And then midfield. And then a half-forward/midfield role for large parts of his career. And he still averaged two goals per game.

In 2008 Geelong recorded 954 hit-outs. In 2009 it was 955 hit-outs. In 2010 it was 926 hit outs. In 2011 it was 996 hit-outs. TH had 3, 30, 96 and 75 hit-outs in those years so I’m pretty certain he wasn’t being shunted into the ruck too often meaning he was still mostly forward and in a position to kick goals, in those years and in the years since.

Meanwhile Pav wasn’t in a position to kick goals because he was playing full-back in 2002. And then midfield. And then a half-forward/midfield role for large parts of his career. And he still averaged two goals per game.

Uh, those figures actually help PB's argument a bit.

A person responsible for 7-10% of a team's hitouts in a season is definitely a second ruckman and attending a lot of contests. However, it points to just two years of being shunted into the ruck, and not four.

Uh, those figures actually help PB's argument a bit.

A person responsible for 7-10% of a team's hitouts in a season is definitely a second ruckman and attending a lot of contests. However, it points to just two years of being shunted into the ruck, and not four.
I’d argue otherwise. 10% in the ruck leaves 90% of the time forward. Which is 90% more than Pavlich had while winning AA selection at full back.

I’d argue otherwise. 10% in the ruck leaves 90% of the time forward. Which is 90% more than Pavlich had while winning AA selection at full back.

I'd also prefer Pav but the reality is Hawkins has been given spells in the ruck for large portions, especially 2010 and 2011, and it will affect goal kicking comparisons. I'd prefer the eye test when comparing KPFs.

Alternatively, Pav also spent large portions in midfield even during his prime goal kicking years, like many other forwards of his era.

You're forgetting that Hawkins was s**t in his first few years

You're assuming he won every one of those contests by using that 10%
Raw numbers available suggest 10%. Geelong wins 900 ruck contests with Hawkins winning 90 of them suggests 10%. Throw in Geelong losing 900 ruck contests with Hawkins losing 90 of them. The figure is still 10%.

Do you think Geelong were shunting him into the ruck for four seasons only for him to win only 10% of his contests?

Back