Is Zac Tuohy the best Cats recruit since....Dangerfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

The experts predicted Geelong would struggle in defence with the retirement of cool under crisis, ball-magnet, Corey 'Boris' Enright. Yet in comes Zac Tuohy, and in his first five games he has been consistently one of our best players. He rarely wastes a possession, has a penetrating kick, and has even thrown in a new one - when he is on the mark, he turns his back on the kicker. 50% success with that antic today!

Our most high-profile acquisition since Dangerfield is our best recruit since Dangerfield?

Shocking.
Title was tongue-in-cheek.

Another relevant question - has Tuohy adapted to the Geelong team structure better than any recruit since Dangerfield? Arguably he has done it quicker as Danger did his own thing last year and it is only in his second season that he has changed his game to include others more.

The experts predicted Geelong would struggle in defence with the retirement of cool under crisis, ball-magnet, Corey 'Boris' Enright. Yet in comes Zac Tuohy, and in his first five games he has been consistently one of our best players. He rarely wastes a possession, has a penetrating kick, and has even thrown in a new one - when he is on the mark, he turns his back on the kicker. 50% success with that antic today!
In some ways, it's hard to tell because Geelong hasn't recruited readymade players since Ottens, up until they started topping up with Rivers and HMac. However, I should add that J-Pod got six Brownlow votes in his first five games.

I hadn't seen a lot of Tuohy before he arrived, my impression was of a bloke that was a surprisingly good kick for an Irishman (though perhaps I shouldn't have been so surprised because that's probably the rule rather than the exception) and who always seemed to be punching on with someone or other.

Really talented player; tough, creative, decent overhead and a good kick. Well worth the draft selection at this stage, and will be wholly vindicated if we can have some finals success.

Henderson giving him a good challenge. As is parfit.

I hadn't seen a lot of Tuohy before he arrived, my impression was of a bloke that was a surprisingly good kick for an Irishman (though perhaps I shouldn't have been so surprised because that's probably the rule rather than the exception) and who always seemed to be punching on with someone or other.

Really talented player; tough, creative, decent overhead and a good kick. Well worth the draft selection at this stage, and will be wholly vindicated if we can have some finals success.
The rule is that Irishmen are good kicks for Irishmen?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to hand it to Wells and co. with regard to our targeting of mature players from other clubs in more recent years. With Dangerfield, Tuohy, Henderson, Rivers, and even Smith/Stanley to address our ruck inadequacies at the time, we have done very well. Black may be another. Aside from McIntosh I can't think of another big miss?

Got to hand it to Wells and co. with regard to our targeting of mature players from other clubs in more recent years. With Dangerfield, Tuohy, Henderson, Rivers, and even Smith/Stanley to address our ruck inadequacies at the time, we have done very well. Black may be another. Aside from McIntosh I can't think of another big miss?
MC didn't work out too well in the end. Started OK but probably a loss overall

I love his hunger for the contest and not giving up the chase especially against opponents who are known to have a good turn of pace.

He had slotted in well down back and very happy he plays for us

Henderson has been our best recruit since Dangerfield.

I agree he is an absolute gun when fit rivers was good but hendo is on another level to that.

That said while henderson is the best recruit tuohy might well be the most important-we are fairly well stocked for KPD's but tuohy adds so much of what we lack his run and dare will make this a really really good trade for us.

Blease was a miss but he was a DFA cost nothing.

McIntosh hurts as we would have won the flag in 2013 if we had a decent fit ruck and enright didn't get injured, but by and large our recruiting of players from other clubs in recent years has been very good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back