Player Watch Isaac Quaynor (Academy Prospect)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does that even mean? It's all well and good to identify as Indigenous but surely there would need to be some tangible link through his recent heritage (no longer than 4 generations) that would enable him to fall into this category?

Pretty sure when you sign up for Medicare it asks you to tick the box. Surely that's enough :p

I imagine they may pluck one or two out of the Mildura area here and there. I wonder how long it will take the AFL to change things up if one team's zone is more fruitful than everyone else's.

Took their time allowing the Dawks to become a powerhouse under zoning before they decided to axe that system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does that even mean? It's all well and good to identify as Indigenous but surely there would need to be some tangible link through his recent heritage (no longer than 4 generations) that would enable him to fall into this category?
You'd assume it's the same as McCarthy last year, who despite being the whitest person on the planet with red hair, found out a couple of years previously that he had some Aboriginal heritage, and thus qualified in the NGA zone for St Kilda, who could have taken him as a cat b rookie if he'd been overlooked in the rookie draft.

Unfortunately anytime pies gain an advantage they knee jerk rule change the following year, take the interchange for example, also Jimmy Clement making Hird his bitch started the hands in the back rule change etc.

Maxwell when he cleaned someone up. McKee with his rucking style. Wonder how many others we could list?

ONly needs to go to a tribal Elder and have him say he is, regardless of DNA and they can't fight it.
I'm skeptical that the AFL would accept that, particularly if it meant Collingwood being gifted a first round prospect.

Unfortunately anytime pies gain an advantage they knee jerk rule change the following year, take the interchange for example, also Jimmy Clement making Hird his bitch started the hands in the back rule change etc.

But it only takes 1 very good draft crop to set a team up.

AFL can't beat the supreme court and massive bad press it would garner, they wouldn't even try denounce him due to it being a PR nightmare.
Not sure it would be that simple and I'm not sure of the exact wording of the rules surrounding the NGA's. For instance, if the rules state that a prospect must have demonstrable Indigenous or Multicultural heritage then it's pretty black and white. Green could say I identify as indigenous, and the AFL could simply say 'we respect your right to identify as Indigenous but these are the rules surrounding the academies etc. We are happy to include you in any indigenous camps, programs promotions in the AFL system should you be drafted though.'

Honestly, if it was that easy to get in to an NGA heaps of kids would be doing it.

Not sure it would be that simple and I'm not sure of the exact wording of the rules surrounding the NGA's. For instance, if the rules state that a prospect must have demonstrable Indigenous or Multicultural heritage then it's pretty black and white. Green could say I identify as indigenous, and the AFL could simply say 'we respect your right to identify as Indigenous but these are the rules surrounding the academies etc. We are happy to include you in any indigenous camps, programs promotions in the AFL system should you be drafted though.'

Honestly, if it was that easy to get in to an NGA heaps of kids would be doing it.

Why do you assume its easy, do you think Elders of a tribe will just hand out acceptance like confetti to unknown kids?

He would have had to grow up within a tight nit community for starters and likely have relatives that are indigenous through some connection.

AFL could not preclude him from it (Academy) and on the other hand say but you can be a part of all the other indigenous programs. They'd have no leg to stand on if they did that as they are accepting his heritage but being prejudiced for that sole Academy selection criteria.

Why do you assume its easy, do you think Elders of a tribe will just hand out acceptance like confetti to unknown kids?

He would have had to grow up within a tight nit community for starters and likely have relatives that are indigenous through some connection.

AFL could not preclude him from it (Academy) and on the other hand say but you can be a part of all the other indigenous programs. They'd have no leg to stand on if they did that as they are accepting his heritage but being prejudiced for that sole Academy selection criteria.
They would be accepting what he identifies as. If he has Indigenous heritage then there would be no problem. As it stands it doesn't look like he does, or is identifying as Indigenous and in the NGA, so this argument is likely moot. Honestly, the media would be all over it if we had a first round prospect coming through our NGA for 2018.

I'd argue 1 excellent draft crop year, followed by at least 2 "good" draft years, otherwise you become light on after your initial star players.

Happy for you to argue that but I think you're getting caught up in semantics. Purely from a draft perspective, I'd argue in this day and age more clubs than not will have good years most years, it's an occasional very good crop that sets them apart. Lots of other factors beyond that.

jackcass Depends on how you differentiate poor, average, good and excellent. My point was I think if you can get at least 1/3 excellent 2/3 good and maybe 2 ave drafts in a 5 year block you should see a very good 22 form.

Some clubs can throw up a Good, poor, ave, ave and good across 5 drafts and have that weak top end talent and also lack depth. etc.

Anyway I do agree that having an outstanding draft crop certainly goes a long way to helping make a flag team.

Are you Andrew Bolt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back