It's all about the Socceroos

• Thread starter Rocco Jones
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Rohan_

The World cup is bigger than the Olympics.

Just a pity that the standard of quality players who turn out to represent their country isn't as good in the Olympics than in the World Cup. Otherwise we would have an outstanding competition every 2 years in a row.

Originally posted by QT

Mantis........damn off

Oh good reply Cutee
I just find it strange that no one has bothered talikng about soccer until this game, now all of a sudden, all of the people who didn't even talk about it, are now saying it is the best game in the world. :rolleyes:

I am allowed my opinion without personal abuse, or maybe not, forgot that if you disagree with some people you get sworn at.

Hey, I was talking soccer ;-)

My own personal philosophy... is that you can't really criticise anything you don't truly understand. and understand does NOT mean "I know some of the rules and watched some of it on TV once".

To understand something means understanding what it MEANS to people. To know where it's coming from, the context and LETTING yourself understand it.

I reiterate. People are narrow-minded ignoramuses. I frequent a lot of messageboards for different interests and everyone swears that their thinking is the best. People are different. This is a good thing. Deal.

And once more, with FEELING....

There's! On! ly!
One Australia,
One Australia,
Walking along, singing a song,
Walking in an Aussie wonderland!

Frank Farina's Socceroo Army!

1-nil to the Aussie boys,

etc etc ad infinatum ad nauseum.

Originally posted by Desredandwhite
Hey, I was talking soccer ;-)

My own personal philosophy... is that you can't really criticise anything you don't truly understand. and understand does NOT mean "I know some of the rules and watched some of it on TV once".

To understand something means understanding what it MEANS to people. To know where it's coming from, the context and LETTING yourself understand it.

I reiterate. People are narrow-minded ignoramuses. I frequent a lot of messageboards for different interests and everyone swears that their thinking is the best. People are different. This is a good thing. Deal.

And once more, with FEELING....

There's! On! ly!
One Australia,
One Australia,
Walking along, singing a song,
Walking in an Aussie wonderland!

Frank Farina's Socceroo Army!

etc etc ad infinatum ad nauseum.

Do u have to understand why South Americans have tears welling up in their eyes whenever their knees hit the ground?

Originally posted by The_Flying_Egg

Do u have to understand why South Americans have tears welling up in their eyes whenever their knees hit the ground?

Sure! That's because they've traditionally been able to get away with that sort of dirty tactic at home. Whereas in Australia, you get called a few more unpleasant things if you're rolling on the ground as if you've been shot after being ankle tapped ;-)

Once again I reiterate, if you like soccer, what are you doing posting on an Aussie Rules site, not everyone likes soccer, that is why there are different sites.
OK if you want to talk soccer here fair enough, but don't abuse people who want to talk about Aussie Rules on a Aussie Rules site.:mad:

it IS faintly ironic that I was having a minor rant at people who can't tolerate other things :D

but I don't believe I ever took a personal pot-shot, mantis.

and uhh... I was posting in the "general talk" section of this aussie rules site. I think you'll find that I'll post about Aussie Rules in the aussie rules section, cricket in the cricket section, etc. Have a look, I don't think anyone bagged ARF in any way, shape or form in this thread or any of the soccer threads.

Just want to point out that I'm NOT having a go at you. Just imagine you're in your place of work (say in Sydney, to maintain the somewhat tenuous logical link in my analogy) talking about last weekend's AFL grand final. Someone comes up while you are doing so and says "AFL sucks, I wish the swans were still losers so we can get back to talking about league" - That's what you're doing.

Hell, I don't mind talking ARF, on the contrary in fact.

hope this post finds you well :D

Originally posted by mantis
Once again I reiterate, if you like soccer, what are you doing posting on an Aussie Rules site

Oh yeah mantis ... lets go and complain in every thread on every board that isn't solely based on footy.

People like music? What the hell are they doing on an Aussie Rules site?? :mad:

People are discussing politics and other issues affecting the country they live in? What the hell are they doing on an Aussie Rules site??:mad:

I don't know what your problem is, really. Sure, you hate the sport and will never ever enjoy it - your opinion, and your right.... but why the hell are you watching the bloody thing then?? Just so you could come back to the boards and say ... "hey... how boring was that!? ... i wish we lost!" ?

Plenty of us love both aussie rules and soccer (about 50 members regularly post on the soccer board and tonight's match has been a major point of discussion for months) ... and absolutely no-one here has bagged footy or said that soccer is a superirior game, or implied that you can't talk about aussie rules when you want to (it would be nice if you did once in a while, though).

As DR&W has pointed out to you a few times, it's called having various likes and interests, Sandie. Live with it.... or on the other hand, if you don't like topics discussing the socceroos ... I suggest you don't open the threads called "it's all about the Socceroos".

Originally posted by mantis
How boring was that :confused: if the Aussies weren't playing for some International play off there would have been no discussion about it.

I find it strange that all of a sudden the BF site is flooded about talk of soccer, wish we had of lost, then we could get back to talking about the best game in the world. :mad:

This may be the first and last time I ever say this Mantis, but I agree with you 100%.

That is it. Lets talk Aussie rules, the real footy. Bugger that other sport, let the rest of the world worry about that bore called Soccer, and we can worry about our game.

Originally posted by play on
That is it. Lets talk Aussie rules, the real footy. Bugger that other sport, let the rest of the world worry about that bore called Soccer, and we can worry about our game.

play on Mantis and TT

You all show your ignorance

if you dont have the brain capacity to like more than one sport then its your loss

If you would rather talk aobut the latest draft rumours than Australia making the world cup in the WORLD game then you are pretty sad individuals

BILLIONS of people around the world can't be WRONG:mad:

Just piss off to the AFL board anyway.

Aussie Aussie Aussie - oi oi oi!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the first time....Westy Boy sums up my thoughts on the topic perfectly.

Mantis...I love footy more than any other sport on the planet....but I also love soccer, music, F1 and other things - to expect someone to restrict their interests to just football is ridiculous.

Originally posted by Westy_Boy

Live with it.... or on the other hand, if you don't like topics discussing the socceroos ... I suggest you don't open the threads called "it's all about the Socceroos".

You couldn't have put it any better WB. I don't think there are many people on bigfooty who would argue that aussie rules is their favourite game, but that doesn't mean we can't also have a huge appreciation for the round ball code. After being at last night's game, I was keen to soak up some of the vibe still going around, and I find in a thread called "it's all about the Socceroos" complaints about people discussing soccer!

Being at the "G" last night was one of my favourite ever experiences as a sports fan (just behind the 96 GF), and I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't understand it.

Go you aussies... we know you can do it!

Soccer is the original Football

And should be referred to as Football

Aussie Rules is less Football than soccer as it uses the hands far more.

Soccer is only boring if you don't understand what its about

How about Essendon belting Fremantle - now that's boring.

Listeing to some of the crap people put on here - that's boring.

Go you Aussies

you made us proud

one step to go lads.

Originally posted by Jars458
Soccer is the original Football

Not in this country. The football clubs in Australia are much older than the soccer clubs.

People like you whine about 'cultural cringe' when talking about the republic.

Soccer IS cultural cringe.

I think you may find that the original settlers would have been kicking around a round ball before they were kicking an oval ball. The thing that makes soccer so popular is that its so simple. Anyone kicking a round ball to some extent is playing soccer.

Originally posted by Jars458

How cosmopolitan of you both

congratulations;)

I can't recall ever referring to myself as 'cosmopolitan'. To me, 'cosmopolitan' is a euphemism for 'pompous urban w@nker'.

I am provincial and proud.

Originally posted by Visro
I think you may find that the original settlers would have been kicking around a round ball before they were kicking an oval ball. The thing that makes soccer so popular is that its so simple. Anyone kicking a round ball to some extent is playing soccer.

Yes, but Australia evolved.

The rest of the world couldn't get passed the simple idea and simply regressed.

AFL is to soccer what a Ford TE50 is to a horse-and-cart.

Or to put it another way AFL is to soccer what advanced mammals are to primordial bacteria and pond scum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back