It's all about the Socceroos

• Thread starter Rocco Jones
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Dan25

I've already gone over this. Most sports in the Olympics aren't the sport of preference for most people, but come the Olympics all the World's attention is on them. Most of us don't care about Swimming or Athletics, but that changes during the Olympics for those 16 days. As someone said earlier in this thread: "We'd watch a bug climbing up a wall, if it meant winning a gold medal" During the Olympics we become "experts" in sports we had no interest in months earlier. That's what the Olympics does to us.

Dufus.

It is all about comparison.

You have a narrow view of world sports because you have not experienced other cultures. You are basing all your knowledge on last years Olympics, which gained great support in Australia.

If you ask a Englishman, French, Brazilian etc they will tell you they take more interest of the World Cup than the Olympics.

I've already gone over this. Most sports in the Olympics aren't the sport of preference for most people, but come the Olympics all the World's attention is on them.
Rubbish Dan. As I've said, the countries I've been in when the last two Olympics were held didn't give much of a toss about them at all. I think the Olympics are basically a television extravaganza for the USA, Canada, Oz and NZ, with a few stragglers thrown in to boot. The World Cup is far more important and monstrous for just about every country not mentioned.

Most of us don't care about Swimming or Athletics, but that changes during the Olympics for those 16 days. As someone said earlier in this thread: "We'd watch a bug climbing up a wall, if it meant winning a gold medal" During the Olympics we become "experts" in sports we had no interest in months earlier. That's what the Olympics does to us.
Yes, as Australians that might be true, likewise for the Yanks. But for most other countries around the world this isn't the case at all, so I wish you'd stop presuming and talking as if it was.

The Olympics doens't have a qualifying standard? Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yeh your right Dan. Those swimmers from Equatorial Guinea such as Eric The Eel, deserved to be in the Olympics, after qualifying an all.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by BomberBoy

Yeh your right Dan. Those swimmers from Equatorial Guinea such as Eric The Eel, deserved to be in the Olympics, after qualifying an all.

There is a rigid qualifying procedure that has to be met by the Australian swimers to qualify. You know this. We all know this.

The swimmer from Equatorial Guinea that you refer to, was allowed to compete for the "sportsmanship." The Olympics is supposed to foster the belief that competing, not winning is the most important thing. By allowing swimmers like that to compete it fosters and perpetuates the spirit of the Olympics.

But, you shoud know, that for the most part, there are qualifying procedures for all Olympic sports - including Soccer.

Originally posted by steve waugh
dont diss eric

I'm not dissing Eric at all.

It was a good laugh. But after Sydney's magnificent effort with the Olympics, to see something like that was just ridiculous.

There is a rigid qualifying procedure that has to be met by the Australian swimers to qualify. You know this. We all know this.

The swimmer from Equatorial Guinea that you refer to, was allowed to compete for the "sportsmanship." The Olympics is supposed to foster the belief that competing, not winning is the most important thing. By allowing swimmers like that to compete it fosters and perpetuates the spirit of the Olympics.

But, you shoud know, that for the most part, there are qualifying procedures for all Olympic sports - including Soccer.

Ahhh Dan. How can I win?

You always seem to pull something else out of your arse :D

If we win, we win, if we lose, then so be it. I could not care less. I will have no disappointment, frustration or anger in me if we lose. I won't have a smile on my face if we lose. I will not be angry, or happy if we win. It will be just like both codes of Rugby, Basketball, and many other sports. If we lose, then it will be no big deal. If we win, then good luck to them, but no big loss if we lose. I am unlikely to even remember it is on, until I turn on the tv.

And Dipper, don't get pedantic with me buddy. 5 billion, 6 billion whatever. The exact number is virtually incalaculable; The rough estimate is all that matters for the purposes of the point. The whole point which you missed with your pedanticness was that the audience for both events is nowhere near the 2-billion-odd specified. I don't believe that this audience is a possibility given the living conditions, time differences, etc in most of the world. Stop being so immature and irrelevant in your argument. Keep to the discussion instead of running of on a tangent about the size of the World's population (and I obviously know the rough estimate of the worlds popualtion - 5 billion, 6 billion, somewhere in that vicinity. You'll excuse me if I don't bother to consult the Encyclopaedia for every friggin thing I post. :rolleyes: Gee, I though I was getting marked on this. :rolleyes: ) Fool! Keep to the argument! (which you have lost.)

Danny boy, the game is over, take your bat and ball and go home.
Keep practising though, and one day you might be able to match it in the big league.
sad2.gif

How did I know you were going to say "5 billion, 6 billion whatever..." Just a hunch I guess.

Your facts are rubbery, your logic flawed, your ignorance breathtaking.

Yes you are getting marked on this - your score so far is 14% (for perseverence...)

Game, set and match to the good guys (ie not you)...
lol.gif

Juan Antonio Samaranch??
biglaugha.gif

yes I like these smilies...

Considering I engage in a professional writing course, the last thing I need is you, of all people telling me how to write.
The whole point which you missed with your pedanticness was that the audience for both events is nowhere near the 2-billion-odd specified.
Maybe you don't need me Dufus, but perhaps a dictionary might be of some use. The word you are looking for my dear boy is pedantry. Try not to confuse it with pederasty.

Your point? My point was that the head of the IOC is generally more well-known. Juan Antonio-Samaranch was often referred to as the most powerful man in world sport.

I think that title has been well and truly passed on to Bernie Ecclestone by now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back