News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Option B.

Leave the stand at punt rd and relocate the club like those above to a bigger space where we can have bigger facilities and an MCG size training ground.

That's the best option.
the new ground at punt road is to be mcg size. it's the spiritual home. there is no plan 'b'. end of.

Sport and politics should never mix.
Our footy ground is not a political statement.
Our oval is not a cash grab to promote an agenda.
Never was, never will be.
There is enough disgusting sordid politics in our world already.
tenor (6).gif

Last edited:
You’re saying we should have kept the old Richmond social club , didn’t even know it was still open prior to the upgrade . I’d like to think there’ll be broader ops for supporters to eat and drink at Punt rd , whether that ll be in the prime function beyond social club members I’d doubt it , we ll see I spose
I’ve got no issue with continuing to develop PRO, all I’m saying is include, recognise and allow members who can’t afford upgrade memberships to get access to after match drinks, functions etc.

Now I’m not suggesting each week, nor every member, however the RFC needs to get a little creative and that may mean 2 after game drinks per year when you’ve shown loyalty for 10 years, 15 or 20 on basic memberships.

How it’s done is up to the club.

I’ve got no issue with continuing to develop PRO, all I’m saying is include, recognise and allow members who can’t afford upgrade memberships to get access to after match drinks, functions etc.

Now I’m not suggesting each week, nor every member, however the RFC needs to get a little creative and that may mean 2 after game drinks per year when you’ve shown loyalty for 10 years, 15 or 20 on basic memberships.

How it’s done is up to the club.
I hope they do to , I’d recommend a section in front of new stand , beer garden type setup , could be used during vfl AFLW , pre and after match , would be good turnover

Maybe it's been said......but didn't someone at the club say that as much of the Jack dyer stand would be included in the new build?...unless I'm hearing things?...that issue aside it's amazing how quickly the club has outgrown the current facility.

Still lovin the yellow n black facades even more than when it was originally built...

The club will move forward regardless, but I'd rather it be with a very important part of our history kept intact, and shame on those happy to see it demolished, gone forever. Shame.
As I asked previously, do people think that we would have become the club that we have over the last 5 years, had we not rebuilt the old buildings during the late 2000s and replaced it with the current building that allowed for upgraded facilities to be implemented?

Jack Dyer will always have a massive place in RFC history, no matter what happens to the current stand. Not sure why it's such a huge issue.
His own son wasn’t even concerned that the broken down old stand is getting removed for the betterment of the clubs long term future.
He was more worried about what they’ll do with the statue.

Maybe it's been said......but didn't someone at the club say that as much of the Jack dyer stand would be included in the new build?...unless I'm hearing things?...that issue aside it's amazing how quickly the club has outgrown the current facility.

Still lovin the yellow n black facades even more than when it was originally built...
I’m no architect however it would appear they’re using the existing side walls

Probably not the right club for you if working with the Indegnous and Muslim communities upset you so much.
Imagine how distraught they must have been when we were the first club to take a knee during the BLM protests or when we wore the Indigenous jumper in support of Adam Goodes, or when we release a new jumper each year for Dreamtime or when Edwards wore the number 67 to honour the year when indigenous people were given the right to vote or when we acknowledge Ramadan each year.

Fact of the matter is out club has been involved in many incidents where sport and politics have mixed

Will they fix the poor window situation on the existing building while they are at it?
Would be good to open up the space and provide a view of the ground finally.

If you don’t agree with a human rights and equal opportunity for people of all race and creed that doesn’t make it politics, it just means your point of view narrow and your moral compass broken.

It is not “political” to pay tribute to a community leader/human rights proponent any more than it is to pay tribute to a league footballer.

If you can’t come up with a decent argument that isn’t claiming a different view/common decency is “politics” then I suggest your argument is broken and you should build a bridge

Will they fix the poor window situation on the existing building while they are at it?
Would be good to open up the space and provide a view of the ground finally.
2E8DB561-8834-4F69-9138-CD4A8A45749E.jpeg D7A9F067-421F-4A0A-87F9-48F828399423.jpeg
62EFD203-E23D-4B0E-9D47-15FF51C3D22E.jpeg
Going by the above two real images and then the third image of the artist’s impression, I’d say no.

In the first image (ME Bank Centre), the triangle window shapes are seen on all panels.

In the second image (Swinburne Centre and current) you can see that the panel on the right has larger windows, whereby they’ve carved out the panelling to put in more windows, but have preserved the original triangle window spots.

Finally, the artist’s impression depicts the windows just as they are currently.

More windows are needed, and they’ll have to do it, surely.

Although, weren’t the silly window shapes done to comply with the design restrictions so as to avoid reflections the glass windows would create for those driving on Punt Rd?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1016663View attachment 1016664
View attachment 1016665
Going by the above two real images and then the third image of the artist’s impression, I’d say no.

In the first image (ME Bank Centre), the triangle window shapes are seen on all panels.

In the second image (Swinburne Centre and current) you can see that the panel on the right has larger windows, whereby they’ve carved out the panelling to put in more windows, but have preserved the original triangle window spots.

Finally, the artist’s impression depicts the windows just as they are currently.

More windows are needed, and they’ll have to do it, surely.

Although, weren’t the silly window shapes done to comply with the design restrictions so as to avoid reflections the glass windows would create for those driving on Punt Rd?

Yes. The city council and East Melbourne Residents Group were very opposed to the first draft of design for our most recent works because of glare from too much glass. Expect this will again be an issue with the new development.

Yes. The city council and East Melbourne Residents Group were very opposed to the first draft of design for our most recent works because of glare from too much glass. Expect this will again be an issue with the new development.

Quite an extraordinary thing to point out, the glare would seem to be negligible on the face of it, but who knows. It appears that those affected would be the residents in the row of terraces along Punt Road, facing the Swinburne Centre.

Jack Dyer will always have a massive place in RFC history, no matter what happens to the current stand. Not sure why it's such a huge issue.

Agree, first thing you see out front is his statue. That speaks volumes of Jack's standing in the clubs eyes & history of RFC....that won't ever change...

Last edited:
As I asked previously, do people think that we would have become the club that we have over the last 5 years, had we not rebuilt the old buildings during the late 2000s and replaced it with the current building that allowed for upgraded facilities to be implemented?
Most definitely not.... It has had a huge impact, not just with the team but in terms of sponsorship as well... Evolve or die

Only speculating....but I'm pretty sure JD was known for his selflessness and wish to do what was best for the club. Wonder what he might say or do?...

Un
It's "football" not political BS.

Unfortunately Baz, I think things got more political when racism entered the arena....that seems to go back a fair way....

Un

Unfortunately Baz, I think things got more political when racism entered the arena....that seems to go back a fair way....
What racism?

Yes it was "way back" and recently some social media idiots, but point to the current systemic racism where Richmond need to lead the political charge.

What racism?

Yes it was "way back" and recently some social media idiots, but point to the current systemic racism where Richmond need to lead the political charge.

RFC have for a long time taken a leadership role with these types of issues & if the powers that be deem it appropriate to continue to do so, I'll back them in. If our club can have a positive influence on this issue by a forthright and clear message about social issues I'm all for it...that's just my 2c worth....

Also it's not just racism, it's social inequality, AFL also helps to show minority groups in society that they are capable of affecting change in their own lives etc

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back