News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

I think any calls for "get creative" are totally impractical.

The stand is barely viable as is and people want us to build on top of it? The costs involved with "getting creative" would be huge.

Keep it . The government should sell Richmond some more space there.
I was disappointed when Benny Gale first proposed it.
Plus it's the Jack Dyer stand and his significance is significant.
Whats the difference between the naming of the old stand after the great man and naming the new one after him?
Your Grandkids will get the same answer.
"Jack Dyer is Richmond"

For what it's worth, I used Google earth images to cut and paste the playing surface of the G over the playing surface of Punt Rd Oval.

It gives an idea of the problem we're facing.

I turned the G surface into a grey "blob" so it can be easily seen. It was a bit hard to see otherwise.

View attachment 1107785
North bound Tunnel on Punt Road seems the logical solution.

There is no way the government are going to sell us more land or build a tunnel just so we can keep an old grand stand that gets used once a week or so when we happen to be playing a home VFL game etc.

The location is what's significant. Not the grandstand.

Just a few things here.

We are in a highly competitive high performance sport environment. Training facilities are becoming an "Arms Race" particularly with the development of Mineral Resources Park, RSEA, the Hangar and Cockburn. Hawthorn will develop Dingley. The days of having training facilities last 30-40 years are long gone. Even when the David Mandie Centre was developed 12 years ago, AFLW football was not foreseen. There is not a female changeroom and toilet in the gym area. It really does come down to do you want to be stagnant or do you want to win premierships across AFLM, AFLW, VFL and wheelchair?

Our oval size is actually small and to make PRO at least MCG size, we need to take space in the north west side of the ground where the JDS and the carpark sit.

The Jack Dyer Stand, in its current form, is inhabitable only for a limited number of people (30 approx), plus possums, and cannot be insured for public access. So it's condition is a risk.

The Redevelopment Master Plan will actually increase PRO capacity to 8000 for AFLW and VFL games.

National Trust is an NGO organisation and does not write nor issue overlay.

Punt Rd will always be our spiritual home. Jack Dyer will always be honoured as a spiritual talisperson. I reckon we will not move to a Dingley, Tullamarine, Frankston or Cockburn type facility.

Haere Ra

Last edited:
if the bloke complaining wants it I can bring it to his front yard with the xd wagon. lets see if he still wants it then
Think the stand stays.
1618957362025.png
Never trust a ford.

Jeez, where was the National Trust a year ago. This debate has been had. I bloody love that stand. I want it to stay. But I came to agree that it had to go a year ago.

The National Trust Victoria’s chief executive Simon Ambrose said: “We think there’s a strong case for the heritage value and historic value of the Jack Dyer stand to be taken into consideration.” He added that the stand’s removal “would be a loss to the community and to Victoria’s heritage”.

No s**t. It's cultural and heritage value is highest here, amongst the Tiger Army. Reckon we haven't agonised over this one? Come on. The people that care most about this have already "taken into consideration". Back off, *o.

This is disingenuous. If National Trust Victoria really cared about this, they could and should have presented to the Richmond Board this time last year. I don't believe they really care. Their just making mischief.

Richmond, however, argued that the retention of the Richmond Football Club at the club’s Punt Road Oval base was of far greater historical significance than the removal of the stand.

“It needs to be removed to allow for the development of facilities that will ensure Richmond remains in Richmond long into the future,” a club spokesman said.

It's hard to get past this. Hard to think of many other football clubs that have inhabited the same piece of dirt for more than a hundred years. I love that stand, but it's only one part of watching Richmond play at Punt Rd.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I used Google earth images to cut and paste the playing surface of the G over the playing surface of Punt Rd Oval.

It gives an idea of the problem we're facing.

I turned the G surface into a grey "blob" so it can be easily seen. It was a bit hard to see otherwise.

View attachment 1107785

Someone needs to move that bloody road!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take over the holden centre (colonwood will fold in the next few years the way they are going) and sell the PRO land for big bikkies.

Would be something that I would oppose. ;) :D

haha ford is the only trustable aussie car . 1 million ks with ease

theres a reason commodores were never used as taxis

anything gm dies at 200000
Cops used Holdens for the need for speed.
There was a reason why Fords were used as taxis.
Point A to Point B would cost the consumer more. ;)

Cops used Holdens for the need for speed.
There was a reason why Fords were used as taxis.
Point A to Point B would cost the consumer more. ;)
and ss commodores were then given to the auctions with a dead auto with only 60,000 ks on it !

xr6 turbo cop cars were much faster than ss anyway and pov pack execs with their junk ecotec were much slower than pov pack barra falcons

i love both but ford was much more reliable

My proffered solution would be to move the stand (or the visible bits, to be part of the new development. This will cost. But hopefully the Vic Govt could give a heritage grant to help.

Alternatively sell/gift a bit of neighbouring land so that we can do the development and still keep the stand.

It's part of Melbourne's history. It would be disgusting if it was demolished for an ugly corporate sponsored eye sore.
Part of Richmonds history not Melbourne's otherwise it wouldn't be in the state it is in now.

I think any calls for "get creative" are totally impractical.

The stand is barely viable as is and people want us to build on top of it? The costs involved with "getting creative" would be huge.
Heritage trust don’t give a s**t about that , we need to read the room or face this project being delayed years . And the alternative unless anyone considers mandalay, truganina or Pakenham good options is a diabolical thought

Remove this Banner Ad

Back