Jack Steven suspended for 1 week for failing breath test

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's outlandish to suggest he could be on his last chance, doesn't mean he is, but very well could be.

What's the point in thinking about that though? Luke Ball lost his license for speeding when he went to Collingwood. People make mistakes because despite what some previous posts stay about footballers having to be above all of this misdeameanors is that they are people like you and me who make mistakes. We shouldn't be worrying if the next stuff up is going to finish his career. Let's back him in to learn from it and become a better representative of our great club.

You wonder why the club had recovery so early on a Sunday morning if all the guys were out having a few drinks to celebrate the win and Milney's 250th. With it being a night game the players were going to be out late on Saturday night which makes it difficult to make an early morning recovery session.

Common sense would be to have the recovery session later in the day or at least make sure the players have transport to the recovery session sorted for them to avoid them driving over the limit like Jack did.

Is it just me, or does anybody else find the idea of a drinking before a "recover session" counterproductive?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole idea of the recovery session is to recover from your footy aches/pains/soreness, not from a hangover the night before.

Granted it was Milne 250th, and as someone who fancies a drink Friday/Saturday night, I'm not advocating that all players can't have a drink, but would it be insufficient to have 1-2 beers tops, or whatever amount keeps you under the legal limit (with a bit of food ontop) after the match to celebrate, and leave the heavier drinking session (if required) to a more appropriate time?

I don't, he does :)

He was suspended for 6 weeks in 2010. It would be illogical to now give him one week if he was indeed on his last chance. I dont believe that any AFL player ever would have been sacked for such soft reasons.

Granted it was Milne 250th, and as someone who fancies a drink Friday/Saturday night, I'm not advocating that all players can't have a drink, but would it be insufficient to have 1-2 beers tops, or whatever amount keeps you under the legal limit (with a bit of food ontop) after the match to celebrate, and leave the heavier drinking session (if required) to a more appropriate time?

The legal limit is only relevant to driving ( which he clearly failed at ). 0.05 is an arbitrary figure. Some people are fine at 0.05 others are hopeless when they are sober. Apart from the club imposed penalty he will no doubt lose his drivers license. Which is appropriate. Food doesn't do much at all , though it may settle the stomach.
Given there are no more weeks off until the finals you'd probably struggle to find a more appropriate time. Obviously Jack had a bit more than he intended/realised/should have.

So bloody disappointed.

Stevo has become so important and this weeks game is a danger game.
If we lose a close one he won't want to walk past the coach.

So bloody disappointed.

Stevo has become so important and this weeks game is a danger game.
If we lose a close one he won't want to walk past the coach.

On the other hand it opens another door for someone else. A reprieve for Ray (likely to get a full game) and a Polo/Peake to get another chance. Newnes to get more of a taste, or Ledger, Ross or even Markworth to make their debut.

Disappointed with Jack, but maybe someone else can grasp this opportunity.

On the other hand it opens another door for someone else. A reprieve for Ray (likely to get a full game) and a Polo/Peake to get another chance. Newnes to get more of a taste, or Ledger, Ross or even Markworth to make their debut.

Disappointed with Jack, but maybe someone else can grasp this opportunity.

Ledger seems to be getting taught a lesson that he needs to work harder.
Preseason 2012/13 will make or break him

The legal limit is only relevant to driving ( which he clearly failed at ). 0.05 is an arbitrary figure. Some people are fine at 0.05 others are hopeless when they are sober. Apart from the club imposed penalty he will no doubt lose his drivers license.Which is appropriate.

Yes he did lose his license (for 6 months I believe).
The reason why I used the 0.05 figure was due to the need to attend the recovery session the next morning. The good majority of players would have to drive to reach that 6am session on time. Yes, you could grab a taxi, but does that set a good example to your coach, your peers, supporters and the general public that you portray yourself to be professional footballer, yet you need to catch a taxi to the recovery session because you're over the limit to drive from drinking the previous night?

We also need to remember that taxis are difficult to come by at that time of the morning. Coaches don't take a kind view to turning up late to mandatory sessions, even more so if you're recovering from the night before....

Food doesn't do much at all , though it may settle the stomach.

Food absorbs, and slows the rate of alcohol absorption into the bloodstream...
Maybe Jack should of had a Kebab or 2 on the way home?? Mmmmmmmm Kebabs....

Given there are no more weeks off until the finals you'd probably struggle to find a more appropriate time. Obviously Jack had a bit more than he intended/realised/should have.

Couldn't they have a celebration on the Sunday, after the recovery session? Ie hit a local pub for lunch, drink all arvo, then get themselves some dinner and off to bed for a good long sleep, ready for Monday?
You're right though, Jack had too much, and is now paying for it :(

Not good:( Well the exciting part is they can promote a younger player to the seniors. For some reason I have a feeling Ledger will get overlooked again.

Not good:( Well the exciting part is they can promote a younger player to the seniors. For some reason I have a feeling Ledger will get overlooked again.
I have that feeling as well and it's a shame because he'd be the perfect replacement.

I'm struggling to see why Ledger keeps getting overlooked, he played most of the pre-season NAB Cup games where he was impressive and was named in the starting side for Rd.1 against Port before being a late withdrawal. By all accounts he is playing well in the VFL yet he can't get a look in, it just seems strange.

Would be good to see him get a chance this week just to see what he can do and it will also give him some encouragement to stay at St Kilda rather than look elsewhere for more opportunities like Lynch and Walsh did.

I'd much rather see Ledger or another young player get a go than going back to the likes of Peake, Polo or Raph Clarke.

I'd much rather see Ledger or another young player get a go than going back to the likes of Peake, Polo or Raph Clarke.

That is completely on the money! Those three players you listed there will most likely fail to keep their spot on the main list for 2012. Well theoretically that should be the case, you never know what the coaching panel is thinking and planning for next year. Those three have had numerour chances and in Peake's case, he is having a disappointing season when compared to last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm struggling to see why Ledger keeps getting overlooked, he played most of the pre-season NAB Cup games where he was impressive and was named in the starting side for Rd.1 against Port before being a late withdrawal. By all accounts he is playing well in the VFL yet he can't get a look in, it just seems strange.

Would be good to see him get a chance this week just to see what he can do and it will also give him some encouragement to stay at St Kilda rather than look elsewhere for more opportunities like Lynch and Walsh did.

Chatted to the lad on the weekend, have a look at my report in the player sponsor thread if you want a bit of insight

Woah, look out guys; Hutchy has never made a simple error in his life, and Jack Steven knew he was drunk and intentionally got behind the wheel to endanger lives.

Also trotted out the "obviously got blotto" and "there must be more to it" mindset as if being a one pot screamer and a boneheaded decision is a new invention in society these days.

I feel I have to end with some manner of boom, it seems appropriate for some reason...

clare-werbeloff11.jpg

Wow this is misguided.

This is Daniel Connors

Connors was sacked by the Tigers on 4 July 2012 for failing to attend training. Craig Cameron, Richmond's General Manager of Football, stated that Connors had "failed to meet club expectations on a number of occasions" and that "this latest incident can't be considered in isolation.

Wow, you misunderstood my post.

I am not comparing Steven to Connors - what is the point anyway, every club has a different way of dealing with these things.

The reason I mentioned Connors is that it is not necessarily the incident itself that gets players into trouble. I obviously don't know how the coach and administration think about this (no insider knowledge here), but I would think they are far from amused, in particular from Steven who was in alcohol related trouble just less than two years ago.

I am not going to lecture on the danger of driving under the influence on alcohol and the irreversible consequences this may cause, but look at this from the club's point of view:

* you are trying to run a professional football team getting - drinking as much or as late during the season is hardly professional and is letting the team and those living the life of a professional athlete down

* you are trying to re-build the image destroyed over the last years by a whole lot of off field incidents (one caused amongst others by Jack Steven) - sponsors don't like to see their name / logo in the news in connection with a report for another off field incident, thus may re-consider their involvement and thus bring the club into financial trouble (I believe I remember it took us quite a while to find a new main sponsor after Jeldwen reduced their involvement ?)

* you are trying to be attract members, supporters and future players - how many mums, agents and true professionals will steer away from the 'school girl and disco club' St Kilda ?

* you are trying to have a good press coverage for all of the above - as to be expected the Herald Sun (with others in all probability to follow as soon as they can) are all over this matter, finally another reason to describe St Kilda as a rabble again...

No, I don't think he is close to being delisted or traded (clearly my comment on GWS was sarcastic - even if I forgot to add a smilie), but I am surprised how aggressively you and others here defend him as if he just was a bad little boy.

Wow, you misunderstood my post.

I am not comparing Steven to Connors - what is the point anyway, every club has a different way of dealing with these things.

The reason I mentioned Connors is that it is not necessarily the incident itself that gets players into trouble. I obviously don't know how the coach and administration think about this (no insider knowledge here), but I would think they are far from amused, in particular from Steven who was in alcohol related trouble just less than two years ago.

I am not going to lecture on the danger of driving under the influence on alcohol and the irreversible consequences this may cause, but look at this from the club's point of view:

* you are trying to run a professional football team getting - drinking as much or as late during the season is hardly professional and is letting the team and those living the life of a professional athlete down

* you are trying to re-build the image destroyed over the last years by a whole lot of off field incidents (one caused amongst others by Jack Steven) - sponsors don't like to see their name / logo in the news in connection with a report for another off field incident, thus may re-consider their involvement and thus bring the club into financial trouble (I believe I remember it took us quite a while to find a new main sponsor after Jeldwen reduced their involvement ?)

* you are trying to be attract members, supporters and future players - how many mums, agents and true professionals will steer away from the 'school girl and disco club' St Kilda ?

* you are trying to have a good press coverage for all of the above - as to be expected the Herald Sun (with others in all probability to follow as soon as they can) are all over this matter, finally another reason to describe St Kilda as a rabble again...

No, I don't think he is close to being delisted or traded (clearly my comment on GWS was sarcastic - even if I forgot to add a smilie), but I am surprised how aggressively you and others here defend him as if he just was a bad little boy.

Professional : Someone who does it for money. Pretty sure this guy would be getting a lot more money than Jack. Yes it was the offseason, but look at what he did.
http://globalgrind.com/news/david-diehl-ny-giants-offensive-lineman-arrested-drunk-driving-details

New York Giants star David Diehl was busted on suspicion of drunken driving Sunday after he crashed his luxury ride into multiple parked cars in Queens.
Police sources say that Diehl was intoxicated as his Breathalyzer test registered a .18, several drinks above the legal limit of .08.

A drunken driving arrest is a violation of the NFL’s substance abuse policy and its personal conduct policy, so Diehl could be facing a fine or a suspension.

Based on what we see overseas and in other codes I'd say our AFL clubs are pretty good at regulating themselves.
Its like when my kids get detention at School. They have done something wrong and have been punished appropriately. It doesn't mean I need to punish them for being punished when they get home.

Just as some of us are surprised how aggressively you and others want to sanction him.

To be fair, not lone rangers there, most if not all opinion has the Saints being pretty soft on him.

That's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think some people rush to an opinion on things without looking at all aspects. I am not excusing him by any means and I believe his punishment is sufficient. I think the club made the decision quickly and got on the front foot meaning that Jack explained his actions to the agreeance of the club hierachy and we move on. I don't think the club has made an error by doing this.

To be fair, not lone rangers there, most if not all opinion has the Saints being pretty soft on him.

You mean morons like Hutchy on Footy Classified? Hutchy was more outraged at Steven's supposedly light suspension than he was about Wellingham's light suspension. Wouldn't have anything to do with Eddie being one of their buddies at Ch.9 would it? No of course not.:rolleyes:

Some people think Steven's suspension is too light, some too harsh, I think they have got it about right. The club needed to give him some sort of punishment for making a silly mistake but he doesn't deserve to be hauled over the coals for it. The way some people here and in the media are carrying on you would have thought Steven was blind drunk when he got behind the wheel and then went hooning around the suburbs causing mayhem.

The Media love outrage and so do big footy.
You couldn't be more right. People seem to care more about what happens off the field than on it and I think it's quite sad.

You couldn't be more right. People seem to care more about what happens off the field than on it and I think it's quite sad.

Exactly.

Any chance to sink the boots in.

Cringeworthy stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back