Toast Jack Wilson’s day with the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Tony’s book “1989” is a ripper.
He even had Derm sign a bunch, which I was lucky enough to get hold of one.

He may still have copies of the book(not signed by Derm), so if anyone wants one hit him up. I think Hawks nest have them also.

That book was so good, come out during the early stages of covid and was a great distraction. Might need to read it again soon, bit of a blur now.

That's great though that we're getting a Yabby book too. There's a John Kennedy one on the way too plus a three peat one soon too. Good times.

What a little ripper Jack is. And Tony seems like he’s as good a dad as he is an author and a funny man. I remember his antics on the original race around the world. Gold! (and brown)
Well done to all involved for Jack’s day.

Below is my favourite paragraph.

We were the happiest losers in the place. Jack issued one last ‘booo Collingwood’ in the crowded lift that took us down to ground level. Some Magpies laughed, winners being grinners and all that. ‘Did I see you on the ground before the game, mate?’ one asked. Jack flushed, and didn’t answer. The celebrity beam was getting a little hot.

What makes our game great is how the fans interact.

Still remember back in 1993 taking a Canadian visitor to a game down at Kardinia Park (vs Fitzroy IIRC), and he was absolutely astonished at the fan interaction. The banter, the carry on, and when a couple of blokes realized that this guy was from OS, went absolutely out of their way to make him feel welcome (including buying him a pie). Two people near us (one Geelong, one Fitzroy) who had been standing milk crates to watch the game) had been at each other (banter-wise) all afternoon, and at the end of the game shook hands, had a laugh and went on their own separate ways.

His biggest observation to me was how the fans of opposing teams were not segregated. For all the carry on with the loud minority of boorish behaviour across fans of all teams, overall we do manage to peacefully co-exist, which is something special.

Still remember back in 1993 taking a Canadian visitor to a game down at Kardinia Park (vs Fitzroy IIRC), and he was absolutely astonished at the fan interaction. The banter, the carry on, and when a couple of blokes realized that this guy was from OS, went absolutely out of their way to make him feel welcome (including buying him a pie). Two people near us (one Geelong, one Fitzroy) who had been standing milk crates to watch the game) had been at each other (banter-wise) all afternoon, and at the end of the game shook hands, had a laugh and went on their own separate ways.

His biggest observation to me was how the fans of opposing teams were not segregated. For all the carry on with the loud minority of boorish behaviour across fans of all teams, overall we do manage to peacefully co-exist, which is something special.
Agree wholeheartedly, and hoping it stays that way as it’s a great thing about our game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back