Scandal Jaidyn Stephenson - Betting on Pies games

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s entitled to kick for goal.

His motivations are what is in question here. It’s not something that can be easily explained away.
I think his intentions were pretty innocent, which is why he's not being banned for life.

Making money of something you have inside knowledge of can land people in jail. that's not what happened here but as a player he simply can't be anywhere near betting on his own team. very naive and foolish.

The whole suspended sentence thing is kind of stupid imo. Should have been banned for the rest of the season including finals (if not the full 22 weeks) and if found guilty again a life time ban. Some people reckon the 10 week ban and $20k fine is too harsh, especially since it was a few bets totalling 'only' $36, but regardless of the amount bet it was essentially a form of match fixing which is arguably the worst thing you can do in sport. The fact it was across multiple games as well and not just a one off is pretty bad too.
At least you're not overreacting...

Betting on games you are playing in and directly able to influence. Got off lightly.

AFL have said they can’t prove any sort of fixing. And let’s face it it’s harder to prove. However I don’t believe Stephenson would have not thought about his bets if he needed to kick an extra goal etc.

The AFL suspending him allowing him to come back in time for finals is dubious. Obviously a negotiated outcome if it’s true pies were going to take things further if he received a heavier ban.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My two cents, decent penalty and he should probably consider himself lucky that a chunk of it was suspended; especially since his “self report” wasn’t exactly as reported.

Consider three other pies, copped two year bans (assuming that will apply to the current investigation) for taking a recreational drug.

Now we all know not to expect proportionality with the AFL but if it were my club, I’d be way, way more pissed off about a bloke betting on the team and himself than a bloke dropping a pill.

The conduct must be corrupt. I doubt trying to kick a goal under the said circumstances would be considered as corrupt behaviour. Maybe conduct such as having a set shot from 20 out after the siren and deliberately playing on so as to not have a chance to score, could be considered corrupt. IMO.

Of course they did. It's "Melbourne didn't tank, but we're suspending their Coach & GM of Football Operations for tanking" all over again
Wot?

Stephenson was suspended for betting on AFL games which is a clear rule breach in itself.

* people make up some bullshit to suit their argument sometimes.

Kid did wrong, is copping his whack - arguments can be made whether it could be shorter or longer - other than that the more serious problem is at AFL level. Until gambling sponsorship isn't an intrinsic part of the game and we're honest about the huge problems across every club's players then we're putting a bandaid on a bullet wound.

The conduct must be corrupt. I doubt trying to kick a goal under the said circumstances would be considered as corrupt behaviour. Maybe conduct such as having a set shot from 20 out after the siren and deliberately playing on so as to not have a chance to score, could be considered corrupt. IMO.

The corruption lies in the influence that a betting outcome has in a player's decision making.

And it's not just Jaidyn's multi. It's the other (any?) multis that hinge on that decision.

Another pathetic response from the most pathetic sporting organisation in the history of sports. He clearly knew he was doing the wrong thing when he used his friend's betting account to make the bets.

It is time for us supporters to form a group so we can have our voices heard. The punishment was clearly timed so Jaidyn could return for finals which smells of the AFL manipulating outcomes yet again.

The AFL is an entertainment league, not a sporting league.

The corruption lies in the influence that a betting outcome has in a player's decision making.

And it's not just Jaidyn's multi. It's the other (any?) multis that hinge on that decision.

Which is what a lot of people are failing to realise when they say his multis failed, no harm. It’s the people who bet and possibly big on the opposite outcomes that Stephenson might have tried to influence

I reckon he’s lucky, of course it it was an Essendon player I’d be calling for a life ban whilst Essendon fans scream AFL conspiracy...

Understand, but trying to kick a goal in the said circumstances would probably not be considered corrupt behaviour. Trying not to kick a goal or colluding with other players etc etc would have more chance of being successful. Backing your team to win a game and trying your hardest to do so would not be corrupt behaviour IMO. Backing yourself to kick a goal then trying to kick a goal, under the circumstances in which he did, would be hard pressed to prove corrupt conduct. It might be though, only giving my opinion on the law.

Understand, but trying to kick a goal in the said circumstances would probably not be considered corrupt behaviour. Trying not to kick a goal or colluding with other players etc etc would have more chance of being successful. Backing your team to win a game and trying your hardest to do so would not be corrupt behaviour IMO. Backing yourself to kick a goal then trying to kick a goal, under the circumstances in which he did, would be hard pressed to prove corrupt conduct. It might be though, only giving my opinion on the law.

In a team sport it comes down to the motivation, if he marked it 55 out, turned around and there was a Pies player on their own in the goal square but he chose to take the shot because he needs another goal for his bet, that could be considered spot fixing or corruption.

But this isn’t just related to betting, it’s why I’ve never liked performance based contracts, you are basically setting a player up to put himself before the team

Wot?

Stephenson was suspended for betting on AFL games which is a clear rule breach in itself.

**** people make up some ******** to suit their argument sometimes.

Kid did wrong, is copping his whack - arguments can be made whether it could be shorter or longer - other than that the more serious problem is at AFL level. Until gambling sponsorship isn't an intrinsic part of the game and we're honest about the huge problems across every club's players then we're putting a bandaid on a bullet wound.
The AFL's integrity unit has investigated and found that there is no evidence that '**** people make up some ******** to suit their argument sometimes'.

Side note, "it's the AFL's fault for allowing gambling advertising" and "other issues exist" are some pretty sad deflections

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back