Past James Bell - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

qJOoyoJJ.jpg

James Bell

Player Profile

QBE Sydney Swans Academy product James Bell was rewarded for shining NEAFL form when he was called up for his AFL debut against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval in Round 21, 2019. The young Swan is one of Sydney’s quickest players, attacks the footy hard and can play on the inside of the midfield, on a wing or at half-forward. In a tribute to his family, Bell celebrated his first AFL goal with a striking Indigenous dance at the MCG in Round 22 last year.

James Bell

DOB:10 February 1999
DRAFT:2017
RECRUITED FROM: University of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited:
I look at players like Bell a little differently because one of my best mates was on an AFL list for a few years and never got any traction, just stuck being a reserves player in the WAFL for a long time. It was a great opportunity for him, making good money, making plenty of good mates and learning from the best, but it was quite taxing on him mentally and emotionally feeling like his career was going nowhere and he couldn't make any major commitments in life due to the uncertainty of his footy.

In regards to a player like Bell, someone who will be 24 next year, who would be in his fifth year, has never played more than 9 games in a season, and wasn't even making emergencies most weeks towards the end of the season, I hope that we take his circumstances into consideration, and really consult with him on his path forward. Do we really believe he can contribute for us going forward, and if not, we have to let him go and get on with his life.

I'd love to see Belly given a VFL contract. I doubt he has enough talent to make it in the AFL but he's such a great character and clearly very popular with his team mates. It would be a real shame to lose him from the club. I could imagine he would be a great role model and support for up and coming players especially those of a First Nation's background.

I'd love to see Belly given a VFL contract. I doubt he has enough talent to make it in the AFL but he's such a great character and clearly very popular with his team mates. It would be a real shame to lose him from the club. I could imagine he would be a great role model and support for up and coming players especially those of a First Nation's background.
That is a great idea actually. If he's gonna end up in a local league anyway (if he chooses that path) then it would be fitting for it to be with us, with his mates, in the red and white. There's no denying he's been a great clubman from all accounts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if there might be a role for him in or around the academy. Especially with the First Nations initiative. He bleeds Red and White and is a fine young man.
Whatever happens I wish him (and the other guys) the very best.

Remember how excited he was calling his mum to tell her about his debut. Very sweet moment. Hope he gets a gig somewhere.

Glad Horse can never pick him again. You could never deny his effort but that was about all he had going for him. I do like the idea of recruiting him to our VFL team though

Also yeah this club is now sorely lacking indigenous voices. It's just Buddy on the field and Mickey-O in the boardroom

Remove this Banner Ad

Back