Universal Love Season 2022 16-6 128%

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Thought this needed its own thread boy where do i start i dont think i can recall a season where the team had me changing my mind on if we would play Finals or not.

Florent, Stephens, Warner, Blakey, Heeney, Rowbottom, Hayward along with Parker and Reid are the main catalysts for our top 4 finish i feel they have all taken their game to another gear.

Who could forget early in the season where our defence was our weakest link Fox and Paddy have made a considerable difference and have probably extended Rampe career for another season.

And Clarke imagine him being anywhere near a team that finished 3rd outstanding determination and resilience especially toiling away in the reserves for 2 seasons.

Stringer.jpg

Maybe in 3 weeks we can thank this bloke and this team for bringing out the competitiveness and consistency we sorely lacked.

I'd describe our 2022 season to date as a tale of two halves: the mistakes & the lessons.

I felt like we needed to make those mistakes in the first half of the year, get things wrong and wear the losses that came with it, to learn from them and get to where we needed to be.

Examples:
  • Rowbottom unleashed from an ultra defensive mid with fairly limited impact to arguably our most important mid and an awesome attacking mid.
  • Wing rotations have gone from low possession players like Florent, to high-possession, big-fitness players like Stephens and Mills.
  • Small defender rotations have gone from Campbell & Cunningham to more composed heads and defensively stronger heads like Florent & Fox.
  • Transitioned away from the designated pressure forwards like Wicks & Ronke, towards a more individual lockdown forward in Clarke.
  • Injected more players who have simply had a tough, arduous journey to get into the best 22, and are playing like they're grateful for it - Stephens, Clarke, Fox, Reid, Paddy.

All of the above, as well as each individual group just building chemistry over the course of the season.

I also think we have a 'Fantastic Five' in Blakey, Rowbottom, McInerney, Warner & Gulden. We have a lot of quality kids but these five to me I don't just see as gun kids or whatever. They are special players that I don't think come along very often. And we have five of them. All at once. Ridiculous. (I know McInerney's inclusion doesn't quite fit with the other four based on this season, but one down year doesn't negate what I think he will be for us.)

And then there is Heeney & Mills, who are living up to their potential in every way, and I'm just so ******* proud of them.

We're up to our eyeballs in the flag race. Let's ******* do this.

Regardless of what happens in the post season, 2022 must be considered a resounding success and we have come so far as a team in 12 months. The best part about this year to me is that we seem to have found a 'role' for every player that is in our best line up. A few players have finally settled into positions that should suit them in the long term and you can see what a difference it has made for our chemistry in the last six weeks.

Dylan Stephens wins most improved, Ryan Clarke best clubman and the Chad or Mills would be my pick for the Skilton medal based on the home and away season. Hayward, Rowbottom and Gulden's growth this year has put a smile on my face and I'm buoyed by Florent's move to halfback as I think it's a role that he will blossom into with time. The McCartin brothers have shored up the backline and I'm thrilled for Robbie Fox who has finally been given the opportunity to play like he always has - a man possessed - week in and week out. Heeney and Blakey's game breaker status will have us losing the rights to the academy in no time (if the Vic mafia have their way) but for the moment let's keep putting the hurt on 'em!

Special shout out must be given to the old brigade; Reid, Hickey, Rampe, Parker, Franklin and Kennedy. They've led us beautifully this season and without their guidance we wouldn't have been able to nurture such a fine crop of talent that I've never seen the likes of at the club before.

The most encouraging aspect moving forward is the pressure for spots from the reserves players keeping things competitive internally. We don't hand out games and there's a bunch of young fellas busting their arse off desperately trying to prove their value to the team. My only hope is that we retain the majority of them as a couple of spots become tenable in the next 12-24 months.

Here's to a productive September and hopefully the start of something really special in the short to long term!

Last edited:
I'd describe our 2022 season to date as a tale of two halves: the mistakes & the lessons.

I felt like we needed to make those mistakes in the first half of the year, get things wrong and wear the losses that came with it, to learn from them and get to where we needed to be.

Examples:
  • Rowbottom unleashed from an ultra defensive mid with fairly limited impact to arguably our most important mid and an awesome attacking mid.
  • Wing rotations have gone from low possession players like Florent, to high-possession, big-fitness players like Stephens and Mills.
  • Small defender rotations have gone from Campbell & Cunningham to more composed heads and defensively stronger heads like Florent & Fox.
  • Transitioned away from the designated pressure forwards like Wicks & Ronke, towards a more individual lockdown forward in Clarke.
  • Injected more players who have simply had a tough, arduous journey to get into the best 22, and are playing like they're grateful for it - Stephens, Clarke, Fox, Reid, Paddy.

All of the above, as well as each individual group just building chemistry over the course of the season.

I also think we have a 'Fantastic Five' in Blakey, Rowbottom, McInerney, Warner & Gulden. We have a lot of quality kids but these five to me I don't just see as gun kids or whatever. They are special players that I don't think come along very often. And we have five of them. All at once. Ridiculous. (I know McInerney's inclusion doesn't quite fit with the other four based on this season, but one down year doesn't negate what I think he will be for us.)

And then there is Heeney & Mills, who are living up to their potential in every way, and I'm just so ******* proud of them.

We're up to our eyeballs in the flag race. Let's ******* do this.
The Neverending Story Win GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After losing 2 best 22 players and expecting to lose 1 by season's end in JPK, I was hopeful that we could make finals and win a final. Ladder position was anywhere from 6th to 10th but we finished 3rd which is fantastic. Still need to win a final (ideally 3 from here would be very nice) but can't fault the team for the turn around from 2019-2020

After losing 2 best 22 players and expecting to lose 1 by season's end in JPK, I was hopeful that we could make finals and win a final. Ladder position was anywhere from 6th to 10th but we finished 3rd which is fantastic. Still need to win a final (ideally 3 from here would be very nice) but can't fault the team for the turn around from 2019-2020

No pressure at all right :p

Winning this year will make up for 2016 and will be one of the greatest rebuilds of all time.

I think I will always have an incredible amount of bitterness towards 2016.

But if we somehow manage to go the whole way this year I will be somewhat sedated.

Think we are still maybe a year ahead of our time, but we should be very proud after this season.

Winning this year will make up for 2016 and will be one of the greatest rebuilds of all time.

I will never not be salty about that, even if we do win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back