Recommitted Jamie Elliott [re-signed with Collingwood for two more years]

Remove this Banner Ad

Didnt do too bad this year playing 16 games and after going to germany last year

He may be over his hamstring issue's and would be interesting what type of deal he gets offered

If you offered him 4 he'd jump in an instant. Could be a Shaun Higgins type who never gets injured again.

3 years with a trigger for 4 years would be ideal.

He may be a Shaun Higgins type or he may play 5 games in 3 years...there is risk involved but we need to start taking some risks with our list.

If you offered him 4 he'd jump in an instant. Could be a Shaun Higgins type who never gets injured again.
The pars defect in his back will always be an issue, and the underlying cause of hamstring injuries. If a club were to offer him a long term deal good luck to them, but supporters shouldn’t be surprised if he spends more time off the field than on it. Max I’d be comfortable with the Pies offering to retain him would be 2 years with a trigger for a third, and I’m a huge fan of his.

Would happily take for 3-4 years (though we'd want a good upgrade on the medical team)

If Fantasia stays, our smalls look pretty good with Tippa and Elliott too.
If he leaves, we're covered.

Given our penchant for kicking to smalls as our key forwards, he's at least good enough to play the position well. Strong hands, good marking and positioning and an excellent kick.

Would happily take for 3-4 years (though we'd want a good upgrade on the medical team)

If Fantasia stays, our smalls look pretty good with Tippa and Elliott too.
If he leaves, we're covered.

Given our penchant for kicking to smalls as our key forwards, he's at least good enough to play the position well. Strong hands, good marking and positioning and an excellent kick.
How much $$ per season would you give him?

How much $$ per season would you give him?
no idea what our cap would allow for.
And he'd be a 5th priority at best.

Ruck, inside mid, key forward, 2nd inside mid, small forward

that's how im ranking our needs. That said, you don't always get what you need, and if it means we ruck TBC and run the same midfield plus Smith next year, and Brown and Mckernan are our key posts, i'd still take Elliott to add some potency to a forward line that struggled to hit the scoreboard this year.

If Melbourne offers $400k x 2 years that probably gets us a 3rd/4th compensation pick...

No way we won't offer an offer just as competitive before we get to that stage. Even if we don't eventually keep him might be enough to drive the offer so that we get a 2nd round pick at least (which is looking like it's gonna be pick 40+ even being a 2nd round pick...)

If Melbourne offers $400k x 2 years that probably gets us a 3rd/4th compensation pick...

No way we won't offer an offer just as competitive before we get to that stage. Even if we don't eventually keep him might be enough to drive the offer so that we get a 2nd round pick at least (which is looking like it's gonna be pick 40+ even being a 2nd round pick...)

If we really want him we would have to offer 3 years otherwise he will stay.

Be interesting to see what happens, i still bank on him at the pies next year but this could be his last contract so he may want to maximise it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we really want him we would have to offer 3 years otherwise he will stay.

Be interesting to see what happens, i still bank on him at the pies next year but this could be his last contract so he may want to maximise it.

Well you could offer him 3/4 years, with the contract and salary being strongly linked to the number of games he plays. Not sure if it's allowed, but maybe u can have a low base (100-200k) and with both contract length and pay depending on his game count for the year?

Well you could offer him 3/4 years, with the contract and salary being strongly linked to the number of games he plays. Not sure if it's allowed, but maybe u can have a low base (100-200k) and with both contract length and pay depending on his game count for the year?

Could Melbourne's history with ex-Pies (Chris Dawes, Heritier Lumumba) make them gunshy here? Even despite Elliot's recent form and fitness, they might feel like they're being sold a bill of goods with his health.

Have mentioned this on the pies board, but i would be staggered and shocked if he left the pies.

If he can put in even one full season at the level he's been at over the past month, he'd be All-Australian and we'd never want him to leave. It's all a question of how much he and we can get out of his body. His style of play doesn't help preserve him (he flies and bumps around like Shawn Michaels), either, but it also makes him the brilliant player he is at his best.

If he can put in even one full season at the level he's been at over the past month, he'd be All-Australian and we'd never want him to leave. It's all a question of how much he and we can get out of his body. His style of play doesn't help preserve him (he flies and bumps around like Shawn Michaels), either, but it also makes him the brilliant player he is at his best.
Similarly if he can put together one good season for us next year he could totally transform our forward line IMO, which atm is our biggest weakness. A big risk for us to throw a big contract at him but he'd be well worth it.

Similarly if he can put together one good season for us next year he could totally transform our forward line IMO, which atm is our biggest weakness. A big risk for us to throw a big contract at him but he'd be well worth it.

Certainly high risk, high reward situation.

I am happy for us to ask the question, we need to be bold with our recruiting.

Certainly high risk, high reward situation.

I am happy for us to ask the question, we need to be bold with our recruiting.
Hunt, Elliot, Melksham, Fritsch and a rotating Trac is a forwardline with a lot of X-factor, even if our talls are pox again.

If the Dees were to offer Jamie a deal which satisfies the UFA formula, to secure us an end of 1st round draft pick (Band 2), I believe we will let him go. No doubt he's a gun and we are in the window, but his body has major risks on it. I'm not sure with the way he plays, that his body will have alot of years left in it.

What type of deal secures Band 2 compo? Steven Motlop to Port a couple of years ago got Band 2, reported to be around $500,000 over 4 years. I.e. $2M total deal.

Wells at $500k over 3 years and Mayne $400k over 4 years were both band 3, mid 2nd round picks. I.e. total deal around $1.5M.

If the Dees were to offer Jamie a deal which satisfies the UFA formula, to secure us an end of 1st round draft pick (Band 2), I believe we will let him go. No doubt he's a gun and we are in the window, but his body has major risks on it. I'm not sure with the way he plays, that his body will have alot of years left in it.

What type of deal secures Band 2 compo? Steven Motlop to Port a couple of years ago got Band 2, reported to be around $500,000 over 4 years. I.e. $2M total deal.

Wells at $500k over 3 years and Mayne $400k over 4 years were both band 3, mid 2nd round picks. I.e. total deal around $1.5M.
More recently we saw Fasolo go to Carlton and received a 3rd round compo pick. Still don’t know how we were able to get that. Fas wasn’t on that much at Carlton and I think it was only a 1 year deal from memory?

More recently we saw Fasolo go to Carlton and received a 3rd round compo pick. Still don’t know how we were able to get that. Fas wasn’t on that much at Carlton and I think it was only a 1 year deal from memory?
I believe it was a 3 year deal. Silvagni was reluctant to disclose the length of the deal last year. That gave the indication, it was longer than he wanted to be made public for his own sake. I recall reading a media report indicating a 3 year deal. Unfortunately, Fas had had enough and quit while still under contract this year. Perhaps a deal was struck with carlton to terminate his contract.

I have no idea what would be enough to get you a band 2 compo but I agree, if you could end up with a good pick out of it I feel you may tell him to try refresh his career down the road, it would fill a huge need for us even though there is a high risk involved and would give you an opportunity to make another first round pick in what could be a premiership year.

Could be a win/win but ultimately its up to Jamie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back