News Jarman Impey recruit of the year???

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe I saw what Clarko say, and we know what Clarko can do with good players from other clubs, don't you? And Jarman Impey was our targeted objective for this year. If you check, just bling when you get to Ty Vickery, who was a small blotch on the record.

Didn't Vickery cost us nothing? Can't quite remember, if so then maybe worth the experiment, although it could hardly have gone worse.

Didn't Vickery cost us nothing? Can't quite remember, if so then maybe worth the experiment, although it could hardly have gone worse.
Just cash.

The opportunity cost of not grabbing a different player perhaps, but he was the type of player that we needed - just didn't work out

Jarman Impey is filling that role that we had hoped Dayle Garlett was going to provide.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We should make a rule of not speaking about Dayle Garlett on this thread.

That waste of absolute god-given talent is a spit in the face to every kid who tries their hardest to make it.

Jarman Impey is filling that role that we had hoped Dayle Garlett was going to provide.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Impey will be a very good solid hff, who should play a lot of games for us and get about 30-40 goals a year.

Garlett if he didn't have his demons could have been anything. 48 goals in the WAFL as an 18 year old playing between mid and forward...and unfit.

Jarman is doing really well after his first two outings and I think he'll only get better. I am really excited by what he'll bring - and is apparently a really good bloke behind the scenes and has always impressed when I have heard him speak. Wrapped we've got him at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impey will be a very good solid hff, who should play a lot of games for us and get about 30-40 goals a year.

Garlett if he didn't have his demons could have been anything. 48 goals in the WAFL as an 18 year old playing between mid and forward...and unfit.

I think he'll be better than "good solid"...

He's younger than guys like O'Rourke, Willsmore, Brand, O'Brien...

Has huge potential.

Poor kid had issues.

The issues were self inflicted and his inability to break through even with the support of quite possibly the most supportive environment and most successful club in the AFL was pathetic.

Plenty of footy players with tough upbringings make it and don't use it as an excuse.

That waste of absolute god-given talent is a spit in the face to every kid who tries their hardest to make it.
Growing up homeless from age 12 and having drinking issues at 13 because of it, the dude's life was set up to fail. Dude didnt know any other way

Impey's kick to Gunston in the 4th quarter on Monday was pure class. He played a pretty good fame and it's only going up from here.

The issues were self inflicted and his inability to break through even with the support of quite possibly the most supportive environment and most successful club in the AFL was pathetic.

Plenty of footy players with tough upbringings make it and don't use it as an excuse.
Which even makes it more of a tragedy. Don't recall Garlett using a tough upbringing as an excuse
and he was gone before he ever got to Hawthorn. A sad waste.

I think he'll be better than "good solid"...

He's younger than guys like O'Rourke, Willsmore, Brand, O'Brien...

Has huge potential.
He plays a different role to them though, and has limitations as far as endurance and ball winning go. Nothing wrong being a very good solid player in a role we really value, especially from a defensive point of view.

I believe his scope for impact for us will see him average around 15 touches and 1.5 goals a game. Will probably make about 5 tackles a game and be someone who rates highly from a defensive effort point of view.

Whilst the above stats look very Cyril like, I don't think he has Cyril's smarts or instincts as far as forcing others to make pressure errors, getting a hand or foot in the way to partially smother a ball, or clever knock-ons to a team mates advantage (not to say he can't do those things, but he won't do them at a Cyril level). His skills with the ball by hand and foot won't get to Cyril levels either (although how good was that pass to Gunners last week - I doubt he would have attempted something like that back at Port).

But I am stoked we have brought him into the club, already looks to have improved his output compared to his Port days, I'm just trying to be realistic about what he'll provide us.

Jarman is doing really well after his first two outings and I think he'll only get better. I am really excited by what he'll bring - and is apparently a really good bloke behind the scenes and has always impressed when I have heard him speak. Wrapped we've got him at the club.
What I knew about Jarman before he came to the club was he had that ordinary tattoo on his head and he got on the drink last preseason and smashed into a few teammates cars and took off. Being honest, I probably wrote him off as another wasted talent like Bennell or Garlett as on the surface it looked like he was doing the silly things they were doing. I actually feel ashamed of myself, because I think he wasn't indigenous I wouldn't have felt that way (my daughter is indigenous, so I've really let myself down here).

But since that incident last preseason, what I learnt was that the boys at Port really got around him, knew he was struggling because his Dad has just recently passed and was extremely well loved at the club by pretty much everyone and the club didn't hesitate to back him in.

And after hearing him speak after the game against Geelong (first time I've heard him speak), I get why he was so well loved at Port. He's an extremely impressive speaker, comes across as very likeable, and is just a young man who loves to play footy. I'd love to see him take up Burgoyne type role at the club as a leader (and as a member of our leadership team) of the indigenous kids when it's time for Burgoyne to retire in the next 5 or 6 years. I think he'll do amazing things for our clubs culture over time.

What I knew about Jarman before he came to the club was he had that ordinary tattoo on his head and he got on the drink last preseason and smashed into a few teammates cars and took off. Being honest, I probably wrote him off as another wasted talent like Bennell or Garlett as on the surface it looked like he was doing the silly things they were doing. I actually feel ashamed of myself, because I think he wasn't indigenous I wouldn't have felt that way (my daughter is indigenous, so I've really let myself down here).

But since that incident last preseason, what I learnt was that the boys at Port really got around him, knew he was struggling because his Dad has just recently passed and was extremely well loved at the club by pretty much everyone and the club didn't hesitate to back him in.

And after hearing him speak after the game against Geelong (first time I've heard him speak), I get why he was so well loved at Port. He's an extremely impressive speaker, comes across as very likeable, and is just a young man who loves to play footy. I'd love to see him take up Burgoyne type role at the club as a leader (and as a member of our leadership team) of the indigenous kids when it's time for Burgoyne to retire in the next 5 or 6 years. I think he'll do amazing things for our clubs culture over time.

Yeah the drink driving thing is easy to judge on the surface, I agree. I remember reading something about how he felt about his dad and how his passing impacted him and I genuinely shed a few tears. It sounded like they were best mates as well as father and son - it was something that would rip anyone in that position's heart out.

I have heard and read a few excerpts that have come from him since and I am equally impressed. He's a really well spoken kid and from the odd poster here who has more knowledge of the inner workings than most of us is apparently getting along well with the group. Really hoping the chance of scenery, being closer to his family and being coached by Clarko can bring out his best.

Impey's kick to Gunston in the 4th quarter on Monday was pure class. He played a pretty good fame and it's only going up from here.

At full speed racing towards goal all he did was look inside to pass.

I bet that made Clarko's highlight reel. In fact I bet it was the key item of the reel.

Everything you want from a player. Making space, bursting ahead of your opponent, looking inside, quality pass to key forward. Goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back