Recommitted Jeremy McGovern [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Cellar dwellers like freo or st kilda will have to cough up much more than 1.1 mil a year to convince gov to move, particularly vic clubs. He will get an offer in the vicinity of 900k from the eagles, the difference in after tax income between 900k and 1.1mil is only 110k per year. He isn't going to move a newborn baby and wife across the country, uproot his established business and decide to play for a rubbish team for only 110k extra per year. This is just his manager doing manager things, unless someone gives him a godfather offer he will be remaining at west coast.

Cellar dwellers like freo or st kilda will have to cough up much more than 1.1 mil a year to convince gov to move, particularly vic clubs. He will get an offer in the vicinity of 900k from the eagles, the difference in after tax income between 900k and 1.1mil is only 110k per year. He isn't going to move a newborn baby and wife across the country, uproot his established business and decide to play for a rubbish team for only 110k extra per year. This is just his manager doing manager things, unless someone gives him a godfather offer he will be remaining at west coast.

And if people think deals arent done outside the cap still they are dumb. Offer him a trailing coaching position post retirement at $300k for 3 years. Someone will need to carry those marking bags once Giles is moved on from his early retirement payout position.;)

So what if the Eagles pay some afl tax for football department spending over the cap, they have like $70m in the bank.

He'll end up at Freo one day, him and his brother.
I’m sure they will. Fremantle is a good spot for a nice lunch which I’m sure Jeremy in particular will enjoy after the physical demands of his AFL career have been met. ;)

In all seriousness though- I’ve heard lots of commentary about you guys taking him & playing him as a forward. Yes he can take a nice mark- but he’s a clearly better defender. He either doesn’t work hard enough or finds our midfield too confusing to get a clear read on the play when playing forward.

You’ve got Pearce, Hamling & Hamling + Ryan who is an intercept marker who I rate really highly already. I am sure you will put a big offer before him, but I’m not sure he improves your list as much as a guy on that sort of money should, if that makes sense.

I’m sure they will. Fremantle is a good spot for a nice lunch which I’m sure Jeremy in particular will enjoy after the physical demands of his AFL career have been met. ;)

In all seriousness though- I’ve heard lots of commentary about you guys taking him & playing him as a forward. Yes he can take a nice mark- but he’s a clearly better defender. He either doesn’t work hard enough or finds our midfield too confusing to get a clear read on the play when playing forward.

You’ve got Pearce, Hamling & Hamling + Ryan who is an intercept marker who I rate really highly already. I am sure you will put a big offer before him, but I’m not sure he improves your list as much as a guy on that sort of money should, if that makes sense.

Taking Jeremy isn't about making us stronger, it is about making the Eagles weaker.

4D Chess.

He is better than Pearce and Hamling.

Let's be honest, we only have Fyfe, Sonny, Neale and Hills that will be commanding larger salaries (and only really Fyfe the big bucks) in the short and medium term. We have to spend at least 95% on someone and Gov makes us better. One of the benefits of being ****.

I reckon if we could bank more than the 5% of the cap we probably wouldn't throw as much at him. Same reason I think Saints and Blues are supposedly throwing buckets of cash at him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would imagine Freo would be the only team in the serious end of the race

But i am unsure why you would want to go to that club unless it is massive money

Adelaide lose Sloane. Freo trade Neale for Mitch. Jeremy signs with fre and gets to play with his brother in the team his dad played for on a higher salary in his home state.

Seems like a win win win for Jeremy.

Requiring Neale as a replacement
Yeah..my bad. He certainly would make a very good replacement for sloane it is just that Mitch McGovern is a key for us going forward as we have him, Fogarty and still have high hopes for Himmelberg who is developing slowly in the SANFL, but has potential as our future key forward posts.

Last edited:
Adelaide lose Sloane. Freo trade Neale for Mitch. Jeremy signs with fre and gets to play with his brother in the team his dad played for on a higher salary in his home state.

Seems like a win win win for Jeremy.
Yuck.

Neale > MGov.

Also, our midfield outside Fyfe, Neale and Mundy is gash. No way we are in a position to trade Lachie. Also, I like Lachie.

Yuck.

Neale > MGov.

Also, our midfield outside Fyfe, Neale and Mundy is gash. No way we are in a position to trade Lachie. Also, I like Lachie.
If Mitch comes it likely means Jeremy follows.

2 McGovern’s for a Neale. You would be a basket case not to accept that.

I can’t see Jeremy leaving WC unless it is to play with his brother at fremantle

If Mitch comes it likely means Jeremy follows.

2 McGovern’s for a Neale. You would be a basket case not to accept that.

I can’t see Jeremy leaving WC unless it is to play with his brother at fremantle
Yeah I agree with the dual Gov idea just not giving up Neale for Mitch. I am sure we could find something more palatable for Adelaide.

Unless it was Mitch + Pick/s. Even then it would hurt me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back