Recommitted Jeremy McGovern [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

The pick is based on the 'net' ins and outs of the FA period, so if for example you lost both Gaff and McGov on 5x $1m/y deals, I'd expect you would get a couple of firsts which would equate to a start of first rd pick (ie pick 1). If you then secured Rory Sloane (hypothetically because we all know he will sign shortly!) on 6x $1.3m) then you net drops

It's never happened yet and the AFL will need to make up another policy on the run when it does

My understanding is the picks would be related to WCE finishing ladder position.

e.g. If they finish 12th (pick 7), then they would end up with picks 8 and 9 for Gaff & McGovern.

My understanding is the picks would be related to WCE finishing ladder position.

e.g. If they finish 12th (pick 7), then they would end up with picks 8 and 9 for Gaff & McGovern.
There are options (ie AFL to make it up as they see fit) for a start of round, round and end of round pick.

i.e.
Start of round 1 (pick 1)
First round (pick 8)
End of first round (pick 19)

Basically, the AFL would just put all the picks into a hat and pull one out - there's not really and transparency or consistency to it

Do the Crows have salary cap space?
Currently, I doubt it.

If Sloane leaves, then yes we would.

But would we be better off bringing in another midfielder, because as much as Gov is a gun, we have our defence covered... unless we move on a key defender

Imo, J Gov will remain at the Weagles as they have more cap room & he appears happy enough there.

If you had the cap space, why did the Crows match Melbourne's offer or get close to it?

The first offer to Lever from the Crows at $300k per year and he went to the Demons for $700k per year. That does say that you have lot in the cap?

McGovern will get $800k with the Eagles, teams will need to pay $1m per year to get him.

I really like your list and so does the other 17 clubs. Sloane will have multiple Victorian clubs offering big money, Rory Laird while being SA is quality needs to be resigned on good coin, and Tom Lynch is pretty good as well and out of contract.

Last year you signed Gibbs and Mitch McGovern on pretty good money.

Walker, Betts, Crouch brothers, Smith, Talia, and Jacobs all signed but are ex, current or future All Australians.
We could have matched the Dees Lever offer, but we chose not to make him our highest paid player.

Would have since used much of our cap space on signing Gibbs & re-signing Matt Crouch & Smith.

As it stands, we would need to move players out to find the money needed for J Gov.

Wasn't that thrown out the window with the Jenkins contract?

You would hardly be paying for potential with Lever, he's been bloody excellent the last 2 years!
JJ is on just over $0.5m pa. His issue wasn't matching the Lions money, but the length of the contract. He isn't paid as much as our top tier players.

JJ is on just over $0.5m pa. His issue wasn't matching the Lions money, but the length of the contract. He isn't paid as much as our top tier players.

When did I say anything about the Lions offer? I was responding the the discussion around Adelaides list management model and that the club will only pay what is within their bands, not what a player may be worth.

They changed their stance on Jenkins but not Lever.

When did I say anything about the Lions offer? I was responding the the discussion around Adelaides list management model and that the club will only pay what is within their bands, not what a player may be worth.

They changed their stance on Jenkins but not Lever.
That's the point, Adelaide did not change their stance on JJ, as he is NOT paid as part of the tier 1 like you assumed.

Lever was demanding to be our highest paid player unlike JJ!

You would hardly be paying for potential with Lever, he's been bloody excellent the last 2 years!

Well, I guess the question is, does he get any better going forward? Will he be able to be a team's #1 defender? Will he better defender and better footballer once he reaches his prime (2021-2025)? If you're giving him a contract longer than three years, that's what has to be factored in, in terms of "potential".

Well, I guess the question is, does he get any better going forward? Will he be able to be a team's #1 defender? Will he better defender and better footballer once he reaches his prime (2021-2025)? If you're giving him a contract longer than three years, that's what has to be factored in, in terms of "potential".
If he can improve his 1 on 1 contests... to be more like the Gov ;)

Interesting that West Coast have offered J Gov similar to Lever money. I would much prefer Gov over Lever... Though likely Gov will end up with more by the time his new deal is finalised.

The pick is based on the 'net' ins and outs of the FA period, so if for example you lost both Gaff and McGov on 5x $1m/y deals, I'd expect you would get a couple of firsts which would equate to a start of first rd pick (ie pick 1).
I'm not sure that's the case. The highest band of compensation is a first-round pick based on ladder position. Is there any provision for giving two picks?

That's the point, Adelaide did not change their stance on JJ, as he is NOT paid as part of the tier 1 like you assumed.

Lever was demanding to be our highest paid player unlike JJ!

Again, you are putting words on my keyboard. I never said anything about him being paid "Tier 1". Just that my understanding was that Adelaide had a strict payment structure that they changed for Jenkins but not Lever.

He doesn't have to be paid over 500k, but my understanding was they offerered him less than the 500k initially and then raised thier offer and years when Brisbane came knocking with their 700k+ (?) deal.

Again, you are putting words on my keyboard. I never said anything about him being paid "Tier 1". Just that my understanding was that Adelaide had a strict payment structure that they changed for Jenkins but not Lever.

He doesn't have to be paid over 500k, but my understanding was they offerered him less than the 500k initially and then raised thier offer and years when Brisbane came knocking with their 700k+ (?) deal.
But we didn't change our payment structure!!

The issue was extra years on his contract.

It's like you won't read posts. ;)

are the crows fans calling out sloane for being a snake - I don't think so because players that have given years of great service to their club are not generally snakes. Ones that have just put their feet under the mat and say they want to be a 10-15 year player for the club, tell the club they will sign then up sticks and walk are more likely to fit the definition of a snake
McGovern has played 20 odd more games for the Eagles than Lever did at the Crows.

All players “love the players and club” it’s stock standard line - if you get sucked in by it then you’re the fool.

You can’t split McGovern and Lever walking out. Double standards if you do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But we didn't change our payment structure!!

The issue was extra years on his contract.

It's like you won't read posts. ;)

So he was always offerered 500k pa just over 2 years not 5? And by offering him 500k pa for 5 years didn't change what they wanted to offer him.

Doesn't seem right.

So he was always offerered 500k pa just over 2 years not 5? And by offering him 500k pa for 5 years didn't change what they wanted to offer him.

Doesn't seem right.
Crows originally wanted a 3 year deal, but JJ happy to take much less than Brissie offer but security of 5 years. Reasonable negotiation for a forward who averages 2 goals a game & relieves the ruckman.

Freo would happily pay just over $0.5M for a forward who averaged 2 goals a game. ;)

Crows originally wanted a 3 year deal, but JJ happy to take much less than Brissie offer but security of 5 years. Reasonable negotiation for a forward who averages 2 goals a game & relieves the ruckman.

Freo would happily pay just over $0.5M for a forward who averaged 2 goals a game. ;)
Our forward maybe rubbish, but so is Jenkins. You gave him 5 years, yet low balled Lever......sure, please continue to defend that, or better yet, blame Lever for everything

Our forward maybe rubbish, but so is Jenkins. You gave him 5 years, yet low balled Lever......sure, please continue to defend that, or better yet, blame Lever for everything
Lol, keep pretending like you know the inner workings of the Crows.

We had the opportunity to match the Dees offer for Lever but chose not to make him our highest earner.

I don't blame him for leaving for a great offer, so you have that wrong like everything else. ;)

McGovern has played 20 odd more games for the Eagles than Lever did at the Crows.

All players “love the players and club” it’s stock standard line - if you get sucked in by it then you’re the fool.

You can’t split McGovern and Lever walking out. Double standards if you do.
McGovern was a mature aged player picked in the 5th round of the draft when drafted and will be 26 this year - he was very much a punt at the time and that punt has worked out great for WCE as he has become a super player. Lever was a very high draft pick as an 18 year old and came to thew club after it showed faith in him after he missed the entire year with a knee reconstruction (12 other clubs - a number of them Victorian passed over him). You could not get further apart in how they wound up at their respective clubs

McGovern was a mature aged player picked in the 5th round of the draft when drafted and will be 26 this year - he was very much a punt at the time and that punt has worked out great for WCE as he has become a super player. Lever was a very high draft pick as an 18 year old and came to thew club after it showed faith in him after he missed the entire year with a knee reconstruction (12 other clubs - a number of them Victorian passed over him). You could not get further apart in how they wound up at their respective clubs
Right so its fine to walk out on a club with less than 100 games if you're a late draft pick - if a 1st rounder walks out with less than a 100 games then thats not good?

Is your one eyed view because Jacobs & Betts were late picks & Gibbs an early pick played played over 100 games?

I would imagine you would boo Tom Lync? Pick 13 - 6 games - walks?

Right so its fine to walk out on a club with less than 100 games if you're a late draft pick - if a 1st rounder walks out with less than a 100 games then thats not good?

Is your one eyed view because Jacobs & Betts were late picks & Gibbs an early pick played played over 100 games?

I would imagine you would boo Tom Lync? Pick 13 - 6 games - walks?
you just don't get it and have obviously not followed the controversy that Lever created with his attitude and comments over the course. Do you know that not only had lever come off of a knee reconstruction in his draft year (with the crows willing to take the chance on him that Melbourne and others passed up), but that he went on to say how grateful he was to the club and wanted to be a 10-15 year player for the club?, He repeatedly said he was happy and that he loved it at the crows and was very comfortable there. Then he told the club he would sign on before the start of the last season but started to use all the stalling tactics like..lets wait for the CBA..then when that cleared, I am in no rush and it will all be sorted soon, then I need to concentrate on my footy and I am not fussed if I have not signed an extension before finals, then to be caught out meeting with the Melbourne Footy club late season, then to have a go at the club...that my boy is what a snake does. Now, as far as I am aware, has J McGovern gone down that path with WCE..not that I have heard although some WCE posters may be able to shed some light there.

Now to your other 'examples'. Tom Lynch was on St Kilda's list for 2 years and they saw fit to play him in a grand total of 6 games (note that Lever was a virtual mainstay of the crows defence for the last 2 years so lack of opportunities was no reason to leave).

Gibbs should have been a father son with the crows years ago but the joke of his father Ross not playing his required 200 games between a certain period - he missed by a couple of games - even though he played many more besides scuppered that - Victorian clubs had a 100 game father son rule at the same time. Gibbs goes on to play for years at Carlton and has been one of their very best players and after years of service gets the chance to come home - after several hundred games at Carlton, not 2 seasons.

Jacobs was 4th choice at Carlton at the time and not getting a run - see above for the lynch scenario

Betts played 9 seasons at Carlton before Carlton decided not to match a free agency bid - not the free agency status - Lever was no free agent under current definition, only out of contract.

So pull your head in and read my posts where I do not begrudge Sloane if he want to head home as he has given years of great service to the club - I want him to stay for his whole career but if he goes then it is with my good wishes.

you just don't get it and have obviously not followed the controversy that Lever created with his attitude and comments over the course. Do you know that not only had lever come off of a knee reconstruction in his draft year (with the crows willing to take the chance on him that Melbourne and others passed up), but that he went on to say how grateful he was to the club and wanted to be a 10-15 year player for the club?, He repeatedly said he was happy and that he loved it at the crows and was very comfortable there. Then he told the club he would sign on before the start of the last season but started to use all the stalling tactics like..lets wait for the CBA..then when that cleared, I am in no rush and it will all be sorted soon, then I need to concentrate on my footy and I am not fussed if I have not signed an extension before finals, then to be caught out meeting with the Melbourne Footy club late season, then to have a go at the club...that my boy is what a snake does. Now, as far as I am aware, has J McGovern gone down that path with WCE..not that I have heard although some WCE posters may be able to shed some light there.

Now to your other 'examples'. Tom Lynch was on St Kilda's list for 2 years and they saw fit to play him in a grand total of 6 games (note that Lever was a virtual mainstay of the crows defence for the last 2 years so lack of opportunities was no reason to leave).

Gibbs should have been a father son with the crows years ago but the joke of his father Ross not playing his required 200 games between a certain period - he missed by a couple of games - even though he played many more besides scuppered that - Victorian clubs had a 100 game father son rule at the same time. Gibbs goes on to play for years at Carlton and has been one of their very best players and after years of service gets the chance to come home - after several hundred games at Carlton, not 2 seasons.

Jacobs was 4th choice at Carlton at the time and not getting a run - see above for the lynch scenario

Betts played 9 seasons at Carlton before Carlton decided not to match a free agency bid - not the free agency status - Lever was no free agent under current definition, only out of contract.

So pull your head in and read my posts where I do not begrudge Sloane if he want to head home as he has given years of great service to the club - I want him to stay for his whole career but if he goes then it is with my good wishes.

Right so you can walk as long as you have good attitude on the way out. Thats great.

Lever was always going in the 1st round - you didn't take a massive punt on him - most had him where he ended up getting picked up. Stop making out the Crows were the big saviour in the life of Lever and that he would be playing at Romsay if you didn't pick him.

Every player says that love the club and the other players - it's stock standard response. Stop taking comments like that as gospel.

"GIANTS midfielder Adam Treloar says he’s going nowhere and feels like he’s helping to build something special at GWS.

The news will be a bitter disappointment to the host of Melbourne clubs circling the prodigious young talent who confirmed his footballing pedigree with another outstanding display on Saturday night against Richmond."

“I love the club,” Treloar told the Daily Telegraph.

“I’ve got no plans to leave, it’s just a matter of time before I can get a deal organised. I’m definitely one who wants to sign.”

Your low ball offer was a big reason he walked out. You forced him to speak with other clubs.

Right so you can walk as long as you have good attitude on the way out. Thats great.

Lever was always going in the 1st round - you didn't take a massive punt on him - most had him where he ended up getting picked up. Stop making out the Crows were the big saviour in the life of Lever and that he would be playing at Romsay if you didn't pick him.

Every player says that love the club and the other players - it's stock standard response. Stop taking comments like that as gospel.

"GIANTS midfielder Adam Treloar says he’s going nowhere and feels like he’s helping to build something special at GWS.

The news will be a bitter disappointment to the host of Melbourne clubs circling the prodigious young talent who confirmed his footballing pedigree with another outstanding display on Saturday night against Richmond."

“I love the club,” Treloar told the Daily Telegraph.

“I’ve got no plans to leave, it’s just a matter of time before I can get a deal organised. I’m definitely one who wants to sign.”

Your low ball offer was a big reason he walked out. You forced him to speak with other clubs.
Treloar did himself no favors the way he carried himself and many giant supporters will likely tell you that themselves

As for Lever being a lock in the 1st round, funny how 12 other clubs passed on him first - one of those being the Melbourne Football club where he now finds himself. It was the crows that downgraded their 1st round pick that year as they were sure that the player they wanted would be there at that pick - lever. It appears that you have no knowledge of the backstory with lever which is why he has put so many noses out of joint. Now J McGovern appears to have carried himself far better with his current club (again WCE supporters could shed some further light here) but as he is 26 not 21 going on 22 he is aiming for what is likely to be his last big contract and would rightly see that as setting him and his family up. Lever is 21 and has a number of contracts ahead of him and has chosen to leave a team that gave him no lack of opportunity, a winning culture - as evidenced by a grand final appearance and a final contract offer around the $600K per season - not bad for a 21 year old

Treloar did himself no favors the way he carried himself and many giant supporters will likely tell you that themselves

As for Lever being a lock in the 1st round, funny how 12 other clubs passed on him first - one of those being the Melbourne Football club where he now finds himself. It was the crows that downgraded their 1st round pick that year as they were sure that the player they wanted would be there at that pick - lever. It appears that you have no knowledge of the backstory with lever which is why he has put so many noses out of joint. Now J McGovern appears to have carried himself far better with his current club (again WCE supporters could shed some further light here) but as he is 26 not 21 going on 22 he is aiming for what is likely to be his last big contract and would rightly see that as setting him and his family up. Lever is 21 and has a number of contracts ahead of him and has chosen to leave a team that gave him no lack of opportunity, a winning culture - as evidenced by a grand final appearance and a final contract offer around the $600K per season - not bad for a 21 year old

100% LOCK.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-25/the-phantom-draft - Freo at pick 13

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...k/news-story/13d0ca1d4721261905fcb6765e5dbf46 Freo pick 13

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/11/24/afl-phantom-draft-2014-part-i/ Cats pick 10

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...s-firstround-predictions-20141126-11uey0.html Cats pick 10

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-25/2014-afl-phantom-draft3a-predicting-the-first-round/5910704 GWS pick 7

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2014-phantom-draft.1060197/ GWS pick 6

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/mightydons4s-2014-phantom-draft.1080427/ GWS pick 4

No one had him outside the 1st round. You got lukcy and he fell into your lap - traded down to get Lever. Gold......

After the way Tex and the club treated him after he left I bet he now feels it was the best decision of his life.

Anyway - enough of the Crows butchering a contract negotition and back to McGovern

Why would he leave his home state if he gets a big offer from the Eagles?
Well apart from lever acting like a snake re the contract negotiation...so back to McGovern

He probably won't leave unless she gets a ridiculous offer that is just too good to refuse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back