Autopsy Jesse Hogan - Worth 220 Points

Remove this Banner Ad

We struggled on the Weekend without that 3rd tall. One normally leads up and it’s nice to always have 2 tall targets to aim at going forward.

Personally I think that the 20% less game time impact on gut runners is a bit of a myth.

The game in theory should be played at a higher intensity, which causes quicker fatigue. These gut runners should still be able to close out the qtrs.

I think its a poor excuse for having a sh*t year.
Wrong. The shortened game time just evens up fitness levels across the board. I suspect 95% of AFL players can go at a certain level for 16 minutes but not 20.

There's no way Hogan is going anywhere. I'd lose considerable faith in our current process (Bell & JLo) if that were to happen.

I found JLo's comments about a 'forward/ruck' more telling. Don't think he's enamoured with Lobb's efforts this season.

Melbourne got rid of Jesse after Weideman had a breakout season and look how that has panned out for them.

I reckon Tabs and Hoges is easily our best tall forward combo. Lobb seems to lack the competitive edge to be a reliable spearhead. Could you imagine him with a set shot after the siren to win a game?

There's no way Hogan is going anywhere. I'd lose considerable faith in our current process (Bell & JLo) if that were to happen.

I found JLo's comments about a 'forward/ruck' more telling. Don't think he's enamoured with Lobb's efforts this season.

100%, the defensive liability who doesn’t kick that many goals is Lobb. He has potential to be amazing. But it’s not clicking at the moment. There is very little competition for his spot. Sometimes you need the hunger driven by the possibility you could lose your spot.

I agree on Hogan.
But I think JLo likes what Lobb provides (played every game he could) it is more a case of our gameplan prefers a forward/ruck and if Lobb gets injured we have no other forward/rucks on our list.

Edit: Also what rgauci said about competition for spots and developing depth.

If somehow Hogan does go. We look into Mihochek who's on peanuts and wants out allegedly.

There was a bulldog poster who said mid year we were talking to Mihocheks management. Me personally..I'd rather keep Hogan.
Dump Hogan and get Mihochek. Ha. What a Freo move that would be. Another Jack Anthony incoming.
Hogan needs consistency. Game time as early as possible. Played 4 or 5 games and he’s a slow builder.

We shouldn’t trust Lobb. Has all the tools to be a dominance ruck forward but he’s scared of his own body that he’s not imposing himself in contests. Weird really

I still think Mihocek is a real chance to come to us. His skill set is perfect for JLo's game plan. Mobile tall with good kicking skills. That short kicking link up play is something he's good at. Can take a mark and kick a goal. Highly coachable and selfless. Would come cheap.

His age is the worry but feasibly we'd offer a 2-3 contract to support our run at the finals in that time period.

We may have paid too much for Hogan, but that is a sunk cost. The best way to realise the value of that deal is to let him play out his contract and, hopefully, his performances warrant another contract.

The reality is that Lobb is simply not too far off his overall career form. He never really set the world on fire at GWS. He hasn’t been on that constant upwards improvement cycle like Tabs. I don’t reckon he is suddenly going to get amazingly good.

His best bet is as a ruck, but Darcy is our long term future ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think Mihocek is a real chance to come to us. His skill set is perfect for JLo's game plan. Mobile tall with good kicking skills. That short kicking link up play is something he's good at. Can take a mark and kick a goal. Highly coachable and selfless. Would come cheap.

His age is the worry but feasibly we'd offer a 2-3 contract to support our run at the finals in that time period.
I think he is a good player, but we can't play him unless we don't play either Lobb or Hogan (noted AA squad member Tabs is automatic). Something would have to give with those blokes first.

Even then, JL has said twice in public that he wants to add to our young group. I just can't understand saying that then hitting up 27+yo guys.

The Dees should be all over him (if they have cap space).

He’s a one way runner. Other then marking, has a turning agility of a truck. Very vanilla footballer. His height is easy to defend. Would be a taller Mayne really.

I think he is a good player, but we can't play him unless we don't play either Lobb or Hogan (noted AA squad member Tabs is automatic). Something would have to give with those blokes first.

Even then, JL has said twice in public that he wants to add to our young group. I just can't understand saying that then hitting up 27+yo guys.

The Dees should be all over him (if they have cap space).

He’s a one way runner. Other then marking, has a turning agility of a truck. Very vanilla footballer. His height is easy to defend. Would be a taller Mayne really.

Fair enough. I'm not super keen or anything but I could possibly see it happening.

Melbourne got rid of Jesse after Weideman had a breakout season and look how that has panned out for them.

I reckon Tabs and Hoges is easily our best tall forward combo. Lobb seems to lack the competitive edge to be a reliable spearhead. Could you imagine him with a set shot after the siren to win a game?
The stuff nightmares are made of!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back