Prediction Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

He's probably one player thats worth playing into form, but honestly looks like hes too hard on himself at times, and needs to either get help (probably is already )or at least keep working hard and trying not to over think things. Would probably help if our forward structure was working better too.
He goes off like a kettle boiling when he is near the goals and not being passed to, even if there are three defenders within reach. He backs himself, he's a competitor.

Lance Franklin was the same, even back in juniors he would go off at his team for not kicking it to him.

They care, it's a good thing.

He goes off like a kettle boiling when he is near the goals and not being passed to, even if there are three defenders within reach. He backs himself, he's a competitor.

Lance Franklin was the same, even back in juniors he would go off at his team for not kicking it to him.

They care, it's a good thing.
Yes and no. As long as they keep their heads up and don’t cause divisions in the team. Sometimes I’m not sure if I’d want jack reiwolt cos he is a sook. It’s working hard and and working smart that’ll see them coming out of this season better and stronger, and sticking together and pushing through is what’ll help not self pity and n hissy fits.

Yes and no. As long as they keep their heads up and don’t cause divisions in the team. Sometimes I’m not sure if I’d want jack reiwolt cos he is a sook. It’s working hard and and working smart that’ll see them coming out of this season better and stronger, and sticking together and pushing through is what’ll help not self pity and n hissy fits.
The difference Jack makes to Richmond is beyond rediculous. Looks like a sook to everyone outside the club but they must absolutely adore him, players included.
That's like saying you don't want sonny cos he's a sook (plays for kicks and lets the umpire know), but one of our most important players.

Obviously hes a great player, He'd be better if not so petulant. Also Walters will be remembered more for his acting than his game if he's not careful. Is getting more jeers and less cheers at games as time goes on. Hopefully he reverses this tradgectory. "Get up you idiot walters" is common to hear now.

Obviously hes a great player, He'd be better if not so petulant. Also Walters will be remembered more for his acting than his game if he's not careful. Is getting more jeers and less cheers at games as time goes on. Hopefully he reverses this tradgectory. "Get up you idiot walters" is common to hear now.

He was awful yesterday.

He actually need to slow down a little bit and play a more thoughtful game instead of going a million miles and hour.

The difference Jack makes to Richmond is beyond rediculous. Looks like a sook to everyone outside the club but they must absolutely adore him, players included.
That's like saying you don't want sonny cos he's a sook (plays for kicks and lets the umpire know), but one of our most important players.

You may remember that Jack got caught out bagging Dimmers gameplan when they were a middle of the road team. 18 months later, Dimmer takes a more consultative approach to his coaching and the gameplan and bingo, they win the flag. Jack is then very high in his praise of Dimmers ability to alter his approach and start to take on board criticism of his gameplan. I think Jack may know football.

So, it’s not only being petulant along with your talent, but you must be footy smart to back it up.

He was awful yesterday.

He actually need to slow down a little bit and play a more thoughtful game instead of going a million miles and hour.

He's been in that mode before. His type sometimes react like that, turning pace and quickness which is normally a benefit into frantic/panicked play. Colyer and Switta did the same, only worse; so fast in their actions and almost out of control.

Perhaps the pace Tigers played at sucked them into that mode.

Last edited:
He's been relatively good this season. He may not be kicking goals exactly but he's getting involved in the contest at least and making plays. Do think his 2nd efforts need a lot of work though.

I have no idea why we're so reluctant to actually park guys as traditional full forwards, whose mandate is to stay close to the square and never go past the centre-circle.

Ross Lyon loves this thing where we have a midfielder (probably a half-forward...) who gets possession in the middle, runs forward, and has to kick it so someone runs onto it.

That's such a low percentage play.

To kick it so it hits the bloke's run and he marks it requires skill that won't always be there. Most of the time it means the player has to run onto it, which essentially lowers the percentage of Freo keeping the ball. Actually leading – starting from the square, running onto the lead, toward the incoming kick is a tried and tested effort.

Jesse Hogan has been underwhelming this season. He's on about 800 grand. He has s**t going on outside footy – obvious to the average football viewer – but I can tell you for a fact some of the s**t he's done is like one of those stories you hear from three schools over. He just isn't contributing anywhere near enough. He kicks a few here and there but most of his possessions are in nowhere, most of his goals are coming in the second half when the game's basically been decided. He just isn't kicking any arse out there.

If you're honestly happy with his performance than fmd.

I think he's a got great potential, but at the amount his good games are a good game for someone like Brennan Cox.

Not a 24-year old whose one of the most hyped key forwards in the game, who came on a blockbuster deal, and who is commanding a very big wage.

I have no idea why we're so reluctant to actually park guys as traditional full forwards, whose mandate is to stay close to the square and never go past the centre-circle.

Ross Lyon loves this thing where we have a midfielder (probably a half-forward...) who gets possession in the middle, runs forward, and has to kick it so someone runs onto it.

That's such a low percentage play.

To kick it so it hits the bloke's run and he marks it requires skill that won't always be there. Most of the time it means the player has to run onto it, which essentially lowers the percentage of Freo keeping the ball. Actually leading – starting from the square, running onto the lead, toward the incoming kick is a tried and tested effort.

Jesse Hogan has been underwhelming this season. He's on about 800 grand. He has **** going on outside footy – obvious to the average football viewer – but I can tell you for a fact some of the **** he's done is like one of those stories you hear from three schools over. He just isn't contributing anywhere near enough. He kicks a few here and there but most of his possessions are in nowhere, most of his goals are coming in the second half when the game's basically been decided. He just isn't kicking any arse out there.

If you're honestly happy with his performance than fmd.

I think he's a got great potential, but at the amount his good games are a good game for someone like Brennan Cox.

Not a 24-year old whose one of the most hyped key forwards in the game, who came on a blockbuster deal, and who is commanding a very big wage.
Agree somewhat. Hogan though is forced to compete harder and play a different role then at Melbourne. He’s required to be defensive and both ways forward. Ross has coached him out of his potential, 100%.
Forwards getting their marks on the wing 60-80% of the game. Yeah that’s not what the gameplan should be doing.
We have a freaking A grader forward, yet he’s running and sprinting to help with the defence. Stuff that. That’s when you need Schulz, Switta and Matera doing that. Whereas Hogan and Tabs should stay around the 50 and use their aerial dominance closer to goal. It’s obvious that it’s defence first attack later

Why does every forward have to 'run both ways?'

Why can't some forwards just defend in the 50... not as half-backs?

Ross Lyon is the great equaliser: s**t players become good, great ones become good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JesseBHogan spent his preseason chucking laps in a sandpit.

He's plainly not 100% fit and plainly lost a bit of confidence in his foot but he's still worth way more than the couple of goals he averages a game.

He tends to stop and prop while on a lead and let his opponent climb all over him (how was that non-decision against Richmond?) and win the ball on the deck or draw the free. So we need to drop the ball just so ahead of him, not allow him to run under it.
It would also be nice if we didn't burn him in the square quite so often.

I get the impression he's well-liked in the group.

*, I love the bloke and I don't even know him.

(My son whipped out a red texta and drew a santa suit on his Jesse membership card.)

JesseBHogan spent his preseason chucking laps in a sandpit.

He's plainly not 100% fit and plainly lost a bit of confidence in his foot but he's still worth way more than the couple of goals he averages a game.

He tends to stop and prop while on a lead and let his opponent climb all over him (how was that non-decision against Richmond?) and win the ball on the deck or draw the free. So we need to drop the ball just so ahead of him, not allow him to run under it.
It would also be nice if we didn't burn him in the square quite so often.

I get the impression he's well-liked in the group.

****, I love the bloke and I don't even know him.

(My son whipped out a red texta and drew a santa suit on his Jesse membership card.)
Do you post on hipinion?

Strange that so many players have wanted to join the club in recent years, have re-signed etc. They clearly don't have the insight into coaching that some of the geniuses on here have.

Then lose beasts like Neale and Weller and get on the piss and act up like Hill and Bennell

Really feel for Hogan now. Underdone, no pre season and now no Tabs. Probably expected to carry the forward line, with Cox and possibly McCarthy. Absolutely no confidence whatsoever. Hogan is going to have to double his work rate, if cox and McCarthy produce the same same they’ve been producing of late

I think Hogan will do a lot better without Tabs in the way. He’ll thrive being “the man”. He should play deep with occasional runs up and back to work his man over utilising his tank.
At least that’s what I’m hoping.

I actually agree with this sentiment.

I think if we go a little smaller up forward it will work in Jesses favour. He and Tabs are flying for the same marks consistently, getting in each others way and as one of the other is generally in a 2 on 1 contest bringing 3 defenders to those contests.

We really need to separate defenses better. I'm hoping by having Jesse, Cam and maybe Logue in the team, guys that are leading players rather then stationery targets like Tabs we might be able to create an extra layer of separation and allow our forwards some 1 on 1 contests.

I think Hogan will do a lot better without Tabs in the way. He’ll thrive being “the man”. He should play deep with occasional runs up and back to work his man over utilising his tank.
At least that’s what I’m hoping.
It also may provide the focus to clean up the operation of the forward line and give more definition.

It also may provide the focus to clean up the operation of the forward line and give more definition.

I think it alleviates the option of the bail out kick that Tabs gives us which i would hope will result in players more regularly lowering their eyes and trying to spot up a target.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back