Games & Recreation JK Rowling The Sexual Deviant - The Harry Potter Discussion thread (SPOILERS)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Twitter outrage for her comments are very strange. If you read the outrage without the comments you would of thought she said I hate trans people.
In a way she is so I don't totally support her, she has a history of being very anti trans.

But how can you say men identifying as women should be allowed in women's change rooms, on women's sports teams, and in other women only positions with no ramifications, and claim that's equality?

It's such a fine line on protecting people of all sorts and the left is determined to savage anyone who steps out of line of the collective group think position of the week.

In a way she is so I don't totally support her, she has a history of being very anti trans.

But how can you say men identifying as women should be allowed in women's change rooms, on women's sports teams, and in other women only positions with no ramifications, and claim that's equality?

It's such a fine line on protecting people of all sorts and the left is determined to savage anyone who steps out of line of the collective group think position of the week.
is it all of " the left" or a small portion ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the first time she's brought the ire of the transgender community. I see where she's coming from, logically speaking, but she'll never come out well from this.

At the very least, she has provided for A novel definition of what defines female sexual identity from A certain biological perspective....Hence the outrage....There's no arguing with nature, but you can sleight, Attack & demean A proponent of A specific definition that Automatically excludes you from within it's compass....Or so it seems.

One for the identity wars crew to battle over.

Having said that, the gist of her position is somewhat At odds with the thread Premise here.

I'm not really sure what I can contribute on the subject, as it's not my place to tell people not to get offended when I don't understand what they've gone through, but I do feel like this is one of the "least offensive" things she's said on the subject. I saw the comments before I saw her posts, and I was expecting worse.

I'm not really sure what I can contribute on the subject, as it's not my place to tell people not to get offended when I don't understand what they've gone through, but I do feel like this is one of the "least offensive" things she's said on the subject. I saw the comments before I saw her posts, and I was expecting worse.
Sure but her history on the subject means people will be more outraged because of it.

People just want to be outraged and they look for any little thing that they can blow way out of proportion.
I will say in fairness when some tropes from Harry Potter get stacked up she doesn't come off looking great.

Imagine the scenario where you ask atheists to suspend all their disbeliefs in a God and compelled them to believe in a god or else they will be ostracized and demonized.

This is what the path of trans movement is leading down.

Compelling people to suspend their disbeliefs that someone who is clearly is a man standing before them is a woman simply because they say they are.

And if people can't suspend that disbelief they are apparently the worst kind of human.

I will say in fairness when some tropes from Harry Potter get stacked up she doesn't come off looking great.
You can do that with most books written in a different era though. I don't think it's fair to expect 2020's standards in books written in any time period prior to the past few years.

The phrase 'people who menstrate' is pretty silly to me. I don't see how JK is being explicitly anti by saying 'you mean a woman?'. I don't know which part of that is exclusive.

I would have thought the former is more exclusive if anything.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Point is thougg you've gotta be all in on everything or you're done for.

Remember how quickly Caitlyn Jenner came and then was cast aside? How Ellen DeGeneres ran afoul of cancel culture for sitting next to George Bush as a sports event?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

You can do that with most books written in a different era though. I don't think it's fair to expect 2020's standards in books written in any time period prior to the past few years.
I've got an old copy of Jock of the Bushveld that has some staggering racism in it but it's a product of it's time.

I mean she has stereotypes of Asian (Cho Chang) and Irish (Seamus Finnigan) cultures, along with elves basically wanting to be slaves and the only one who is freed dies, with any movement to free them the source of ridicule throughout the books, she has Goblins (Jews) in charge of gold, and in the Fantastic Beasts movies has the Jewish character basically join up with the Nazis. It's not a great track record.

The books were written in the late 90s and 00s, let's not pretend these are from 50 years ago and are a product of their time in any meaningful way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back