JLT-2 Crows v GWS on Friday 8 March at 6.40 p.m. ACDT

mistylake

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
I had exactly the same thought about the kickouts. This was another area where we didn't look too good. There was not too much running clear and playing on, although Smith clearly wanted to on occasion. Part of the reason was that GWS had all their players down there as well, really clogging it up.

In fact, the 666 did very little in this match. Much of the time, all 36 players were in a quarter of the playing area! There was a lot of flooding.
I was a good test against a good team.
Relatively low score and shows that the 666 thing is probably not that big of a deal. They smashed us aerially in first 2 quarters but in the end we overpowered them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elite Crow

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was a good test against a good team.
Relatively low score and shows that the 666 thing is probably not that big of a deal. They smashed us aerially in first 2 quarters but in the end we overpowered them.
6-6-6 wont have as much of an impact in low scoring games due to inaccuracy. Both teams had 22 and 25 scoring shots but were inaccurate. Had a few more goals gone through then even more goals would have followed, the AFL can’t kick the ball straight, the players need to play their part.

mistylake

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
Do we actually need commentators? Play Top Gun music instead. We all know what’s happening without it being dumbed down for us.
It’s a bit like when you sell your house the real estate agent has a massive picture of themselves out the front of your house, just an opportunity for self promotion. Then they make you pay for the sign. Hilarious

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Questioning if Milera was best 22 in the first quarter, then we had "Milera has answered that question" in the last quarter.

Come on, anyone that just follow footy even a little bit would know Milera is starting 18 for us, a paid commentator certainly should.

Sorry if your post was being sarcastic not serious.
Yeah this annoyed me too.

Having said that I always like Dermies special comments. He just says what he thinks and you never know what's going to come out next, sure enough one in five comments are not on the money but the others are interesting enough.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Geoffa32

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Our teams certainly going to have a fair bit more pace about it this year.

Exciting times.
Watching the womans team and the quicker ball movement they have shown and then seeing a similar style in the men's team is promising in this regard.

It is good to win games in a grind. Even better to do it and be entertained.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Geoffa32

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Seriously? Wow. One of the great things about today was seeing Milera and Smith both play really well together. Cross that off the list.

How bloody good was it seeing Smith on those slalom runs again.
And Seed

Geoffa32

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Do we actually need commentators? Play Top Gun music instead. We all know what’s happening without it being dumbed down for us.
Fox Footy used to have an option to mute the commentary and just play sound from the effects mics.

I guess that got too popular and the in air "talent" didnt like it.

You could also pick a ca.era angle. I quite often watched the games from the long and high view.

footy4ever

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Breretons commentary made me want to skewer my ears.

He just crapped on about GWS. Queried whether Milera would be best 22 this year. Said we are one placed in the midfield and have no player capable of burst in there. Questioned every free kick we got even the obvious ones. Was an atrocious effort.
He’s one of the handful of VFL campaigners who still can’t see past the Vic teams. He can GAGF.

I’m always amazed at his uncanny ability to know exactly what a player is thinking.

NikkiNoo

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos

He just crapped on about GWS. Queried whether Milera would be best 22 this year. Said we are one placed in the midfield and have no player capable of burst in there. Questioned every free kick we got even the obvious ones. Was an atrocious effort.
Still pissed we sacked his best mate.

GROTTO

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Fox Footy used to have an option to mute the commentary and just play sound from the effects mics.

I guess that got too popular and the in air "talent" didnt like it.

You could also pick a ca.era angle. I quite often watched the games from the long and high view.

FFS this would have been perfect. The commentary was just garbage. Its been that way though since we got in 91.

Geoffa32

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Dermie has done some coaching at GWS. Still mentors their forwards.

He knows his stuff when he is interested.

He ain't interested in us. Only sees us when paid to talk at our games. It shows when he has our games.

He is a poor commentator. But pretty good on League Teams. Apart from our games lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Large 1

Club Legend
AFL Club
Adelaide

Listening to Dermie, and one thing epitomised how much rubbish he talks.

He was talking about small forwards but instead of using the term small forward he referred to them as “sub-sized forward”....STOP READING THE THESAURUS BEFORE BED TIME!!!

GROTTO

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He was talking about small forwards but instead of using the term small forward he referred to them as “sub-sized forward”....STOP READING THE THESAURUS BEFORE BED TIME!!!
Did you notice he makes shit up to suit a certain narrative when he analyses play?

StonesThrow

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've been thinking about this the last year. I watch a lot of replays where I know the results so I can usually get away with some music on or something. Only problem is it doesn't feel right. I thought maybe just the field mics on would be good? Hearing the crowd, whistles and umpires calls? We really don't need commentary.

Edit : Just saw Geoffa's post

Surely if you had enough money you'd pay Commetti to be your private commentator.

the universal

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think we, uh, need more submarine sized forwards.

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
He’s one of the handful of VFL campaigners who still can’t see past the Vic teams. He can GAGF.

I’m always amazed at his uncanny ability to know exactly what a player is thinking.
I remember just before digital TV came in we were meant to be able to pick our camera angles for sport.
Why hasn't that happened? Surely it couldn't be too hard?

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Bay62

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did you notice he makes shit up to suit a certain narrative when he analyses play?
He does!

Sometimes - sometimes - he sees little things that are quite insightful

But then he also sees things that aren’t there. Like when he said a GWS player did a shimmy to the inside before turning outside, “he took half a step to his right...”. Replay shows he did no such thing

And overall it’s the whiny detailed way he says everything. Keep it simple Dermie

Golumless

I'm kind of a big deal on the east side
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle, Colorado Rockies.
The only thing that'll work is by getting coaches to change their mind on tactics. I remember last year Collingwood and Brisbane had a free flowing shootout that they won 121-114. Everyone raved what a great match it was and in the after match presser Buckley was beyond pissed they'd run the score up so high and weren't controlling the ball more. All Buckley does in a 6-6-6 formation is have the winger immediately push pack and sends a forward straight up and within 10 seconds of the ball being thrown up its like the rule doesn't exist anyway.

It's what Phil Walsh had said when questioned why he let Fyfe and Danger run head to head instead of tagging them. Sometimes you just gotta make the game enjoyable for the fans, but it seems few coaches share that sentiment.
I can't blame Buckley being ropable there, seeing all of the fundamentals just didn't happen. Good chance for a statement too.

It's not a coaches job to make it enjoyable for the fans, just to win.

Vader

Sith Lord
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Forward line sputtered a little tonight all except for Walker who really looked good. the midfield and defence were very good. Milera huge numbers and a great game. Chayce..... his tackling was nuts. Something we have lacked since Charlie was around.
We generated plenty of scoring opportunities, the players just failed to kick the ball between the big sticks. Goal kicking accuracy was deplorable from both teams, particularly considering how good the playing conditions were. No wind, no dew, yet both sides were barely at 40% when kicking for goal. How many set shots did we miss, and how many fell just short from easily kickable ranges?

Last edited:
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lake Macquarie Dockers
We generated plenty of scoring opportunities, the players just failed to kick the ball between the big sticks. Goal kicking accuracy was deplorable from both teams, particularly considering how good the playing conditions were. No wind, no dew, yet both sides were barely at 60% when kicking for goal. How many set shots did we miss, and how many fell just short from easily kickable ranges?

I think with the new kick out rule we may want to limit our misses.
Up to now haven’t seen too much damage done offensively from the kick out but perhaps come round 1 the new tactics may be more evident.
It could be that a shot for goal could decide the game in the last few plays. More so than before.

Vader

Sith Lord
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I think with the new kick out rule we may want to limit our misses.
Up to now haven’t seen too much damage done offensively from the kick out but perhaps come round 1 the new tactics may be more evident.
It could be that a shot for goal could decide the game in the last few plays. More so than before.
If we're trying to limit our misses, then last night was an epic failure for both teams.

A lot of GWS shots were from general play, but Adelaide missed a lot of very gettable set shots.

Top Bottom