JLT Round 1 vs GC Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Soft. He didn't sling him, he spun him. There was little risk of injury and no damage done. It looked bad, that's all.

Soft. He didn't sling him, he spun him. There was little risk of injury and no damage done. It looked bad, that's all.
I agree it was soft, however, the AFL outlawed the two action sling tackle. Not surprisingly, Frost wasn't smart enough to work that out. An early suspension is a brilliant way to endear yourself to the club.

Suspensions and injuries make it easier to select a round one starting side.......

Or is it harder?

Quite a few looking unlikely at this point. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

Skinner - Despite his appearance on the track he would have to be a few months away at least.

Withereden - Still some way off being ready to resume full training.

Hanley - Has he evn hit the track yet?

Berry - Not expected to be back in full training for a few weeks yet.

Hipwood - Rumours of back issues. Is it more a case of not pushing him in case he breaks at the moment? Regardless his lack of preseason involvement makes him unlikley for round one at least in the seniors.

Harwood: Has he dissappeared?

D Beams- Should be right for round one but some mystery continues on that front.

McStay- Hasn't featured in match simulation at this point and must be considered doubtful if he doesnt get a run soon.

Christensen - Was smashing the preseason but has been managed over the last couple of weeks. Did i read somewhere about a minor shoulder clean up?

Bell - Did he play the prac matches?

Paparone - Whats doing with him?

William - injured also?

Frost - Suspended for round one.

So thats 13 players who have a question mark over them for round one. I know we are some weeks away yet but as we all know our injury list has a habit of getting longer not shorter.

Sorry to be negative.

I agree it was soft, however, the AFL outlawed the two action sling tackle. Not surprisingly, Frost wasn't smart enough to work that out. An early suspension is a brilliant way to endear yourself to the club.
latest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 week for that is garbage imo.

I only just watched the game this afternoon and it was nowhere near as bad as reading this thread made it sound. It is so hard to make a direct comparison in pre-season because we have no idea whether we had been on a heavier training load than the Suns or not.

Stats wise there was a big difference in kick to handball ratios between the two sides. We kicked to our players a lot more, took more marks around the ground and appeared to try to think through things a bit with better results than what I expected. Gold Coast had more contested ball and handball chains but weren't a huge scoring threat until the last 3 minutes of the 3rd quarter. We made some stupid mistakes there that allowed them to kick a couple of goals quickly and proceded to run out of gas in the fourth quarter.

I find it too hard to draw a conclusion out of that game so I will have to rely on killing an ibis and reading its entrails to work out how we will go for the season.

Lewy Taylor has learned how to tackle. I thought he looked much improved on last year.

Bewick continuing on nicely from last year. Uses the ball well and works so hard.

Zorko standing out for his line breaking ability as the rest of our team are seriously one paced.

I'm a big fan of Freeman but he needed to improve his work rate last year. That was the hardest I've seen him work, hopefully something has clicked, very impressed.

I thought our big defenders did well defensively.

Great signs from Hugh but let's not get carried away. I know we haven't had a lot to get excited about over the last few years but let's keep our expectations in check. I remember a few people declaring Lewy Taylor a future Brownlow medalist after his first season.

I like Allison's potential but he needs to work on his short kicking game.

Hopefully we will see Culter next game.

Great signs from Hugh but let's not get carried away. I know we haven't had a lot to get excited about over the last few years but let's keep our expectations in check. I remember a few people declaring Lewy Taylor a future Brownlow medalist after his first season.

Instructions unclear, placed life savings on clugga winning the Brownlow

Just watched the game. Didn't think it was too bad apart from a few cringeworth moments. This game was miles and miles better than our respective 1st pre-season game last season. All game we were missing kicks, handballs and marks last season. Yesterday, much better skills (still not great but better).
I also noticed a few of the Bulldogs behind the head handpasses. Looked pretty good, got us out of some tricky situations. Still ended up being a ball up tho.

McCluggage, holy hell. What a star we have, gotta hold onto him at all costs.
Schache, Freeman, Close and Walker did s**t all for most of the game.
Allison looked good in the last Quarter.
Thought Barrett, l think, looked uneasy, missed some marks etc.
Gardiner was pretty good after 1st Quarter.
Rich was quiet. Definitly not gonna be captain imo.
Got no idea why Cutler wasn't named

In regards to the captaincy debate. Think it is a great idea. Nobody knows who it will be so Fagan says "Could be any of you, so l expect you all to show leadership" If he just announced it week 2/3 into pre-season then the other blokes who have impressed with their captaincy credentials (Martin, Christensen etc) might not have stood up

Suspensions and injuries make it easier to select a round one starting side.......

Or is it harder?

Quite a few looking unlikely at this point. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

Skinner - Despite his appearance on the track he would have to be a few months away at least.

Withereden - Still some way off being ready to resume full training.

Hanley - Has he evn hit the track yet?

Berry - Not expected to be back in full training for a few weeks yet.

Hipwood - Rumours of back issues. Is it more a case of not pushing him in case he breaks at the moment? Regardless his lack of preseason involvement makes him unlikley for round one at least in the seniors.

Harwood: Has he dissappeared?

D Beams- Should be right for round one but some mystery continues on that front.

McStay- Hasn't featured in match simulation at this point and must be considered doubtful if he doesnt get a run soon.

Christensen - Was smashing the preseason but has been managed over the last couple of weeks. Did i read somewhere about a minor shoulder clean up?

Bell - Did he play the prac matches?

Paparone - Whats doing with him?

William - injured also?

Frost - Suspended for round one.

So thats 13 players who have a question mark over them for round one. I know we are some weeks away yet but as we all know our injury list has a habit of getting longer not shorter.

Sorry to be negative.
Not negative at all.Its remarkable how we are fed one thing at the start of pre season then the reality turns out to be quite different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back