Review JLT2: Freo vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with you that it will be an indicator. But not an important one.

Which is the problem when journos ask questions using terms they don’t really understand, isn’t it?
Because a litmus test comes out red (pH 1-5) or blue (pH 9-14) it doesn’t make sense using it as an analogy for seeing how the team will go for the rest of the year.
It’s like saying “if we lose we’re s**t and will get the wooden spoon, but if we win we’re awesome and will feature in the finals”. No wonder Lyon played silly buggers when asked that question last year.
Now if only litmus gave a range of results equating to different pHs (or a range of outcomes through the year) then it would be a good analogy. But Universal Indicator test doesn’t roll off the tongue.

Im pretty sure Ross didn’t need to google it, by the way.
You’re correct, Ross knew exactly what a litmus test was, my point which I may not have made clearly was that the JLT games whilst not to be taken too seriously, do provide an indication of the direction you could reasonably expect the club to be moving in. If we get beaten by 10 goals tomorrow, I’m saying we are bottom 4, however if we win by 6 goals there are reasons to be optimistic. Hope it’s the latter.

You’re correct, Ross knew exactly what a litmus test was, my point which I may not have made clearly was that the JLT games whilst not to be taken too seriously, do provide an indication of the direction you could reasonably expect the club to be moving in. If we get beaten by 10 goals tomorrow, I’m saying we are bottom 4, however if we win by 6 goals there are reasons to be optimistic. Hope it’s the latter.

It’s a win if we come out without injuries.

Apart from that, we don’t really know how good the Eagles will be this year. Only down the track will we see if winning or losing by a swag of goals means much.

I think we’ll improve on last year no matter the result tomorrow (fewer blowouts and better overall percentage). But I still think we’ll be closer to bottom four than top six. I can’t imagine seeing anything to change my mind on that.
I’ll be looking for the performances of players I hope will be best 22 by year’s end. If they do well I’ll be happy. I will try not to melt if players who are close to the end don’t play well (which, sadly, I expect to happen).

Thanks for not getting too annoyed with my pedantry by the way.

Or Sydney not winning a preseason gane for years but making finals every year.
The problem playing your best hand at the start of the season, puts the spotlight on your game plan and every other
team puts time, energy to beat you.
Plenty of coaches have got the timing right with their run into finals, flying under the radar, our 2013 was exactly this.
2015 we smashed the eagles in the first derby, yet Simpson learned more from that game.
Us on the other hand, our fast start, playing out best hand first, in the end proved we were a one trick pony.
We are still waiting to see what has changed.

Remember when Carlton used to dominate the preseason competition, then go on to finish last?
Coaches are totally inconsistent with how they use preseason games which is why it's a poor measure of the actual season. Cox for Collingwood and Watts for Port both amongst the goals. Great to see. Great for supporters. Meaningless when the real season begins.

May be a dress rehearsal but players will still be managed. Meek probably plays less than a quarter giving Sandilands a rest. I’d expect us to run full strength at times but we will try give extra minutes for those a bit on the edge to prove themselves for round one. Spurr is a guy that may not be up to playing the full game either and the club may give him limited minutes here. He’s sure to be a bit rusty which may show up the faults he has a little more than normal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A rebuild means we don’t have many tricks up our sleeves. That’s what a young team is. Starts off well and fades away. Experience gives you skills and tricks and a 4 quarter performance.Ross has the game plan. It’s just getting the young guys to work to it. It’s not about other teams working us out. Ross is arguably one of the best coaches in the game at the moment. His game plan is probably a little complex for the young guys to catch onto right away. He may of even tweaked it for this year. Ross and the players will have us on path again to where all supporters of Freo want to be and that’s back into a grant final.

Hope d Pearce and sutcliffe come out for Cerra and Hughes but will probably be a late in for the amazing Sheridan......lol

Hughes just played a bog ordinary wafl game though. Needs to build form.
I just saw And same with the other emergencies. I would still bring in them ahead of d Pearce and sutcliffe even after a game would still put up a better effort lol

Fair enough. I prefer to bring him in when he is confident and ready to perform well .
That’s true he has had a bit of a interrupted pre season along with Cerra but I think they should of at least played a half in Freo team against west coast than with peel

Half a game at higher intensity compared to a full game at lower intensity, his first full game against men by the way..

Cerra is too valuable to cook early.
You can’t get cooked playing a half in a JLT Community Series. It’s a practice match. In a rebuild where we are looking to the future. D Pearce should be playing peel not the young guys that are the future of the club

A rebuild means we don’t have many tricks up our sleeves. That’s what a young team is. Starts off well and fades away. Experience gives you skills and tricks and a 4 quarter performance.Ross has the game plan. It’s just getting the young guys to work to it. It’s not about other teams working us out. Ross is arguably one of the best coaches in the game at the moment. His game plan is probably a little complex for the young guys to catch onto right away. He may of even tweaked it for this year. Ross and the players will have us on path again to where all supporters of Freo want to be and that’s back into a grant final.
There is more to this though, the last two premiership teams were the underdogs, and it's no coincidence that the
Final series format changed.
2013 wasn't the fairytale the AFL were selling, Freo portrayed as the villains, Ross Lyon footy destroying the game.
Score more and take the contentious issues out of the equation.
Tweaking the gameplan is not enough, we need to be in front of the curve, and time our run to perfection, its not
good enough to just make a GF.

There is more to this though, the last two premiership teams were the underdogs, and it's no coincidence that the
Final series format changed.
2013 wasn't the fairytale the AFL were selling, Freo portrayed as the villains, Ross Lyon footy destroying the game.
Score more and take the contentious issues out of the equation.
Tweaking the gameplan is not enough, we need to be in front of the curve, and time our run to perfection, its not
good enough to just make a GF.
You have to make a grand final to win a grand final. Richmond won’t go back to back. Timing might be the key but some times it’s just a flip of the coin when it comes to the gf. The underdogs have won two gf in a row

You can’t get cooked playing a half in a JLT Community Series. It’s a practice match. In a rebuild where we are looking to the future. D Pearce should be playing peel not the young guys that are the future of the club
You can absolutely get injured because you are two months behind the rest of the squad.

Footballers football, that's why they talk about minutes in games and not efforts, they will compete until they drop or a muscle pops.

We are in a very precarious position in that two of our most talented players are also two of our most underdeveloped. They will get smashed around, targeted hard hits and tackles. They will play sore and it will effect performance, they need to be fit and strong before they start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back