Review JLT2: Freo vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I would prefer guys like Cerra getting a full game at the lower level. And I'd have Nyhuis in ahead of Hughes for now too.

What has Nyhuis ever done to be ahead of Hughes at AFL level. Let’s be honest the four goal game until it happens again is a fluke and it was at the opposite end of the ground. He’s also had limited minutes for Peel - even less than Hughes.

Hughes will play a good 12-20 games for us this year depending on how long it takes him to regain form. Nyhuis may not play any - although I hope that’s not the case as I think he has a bit to offer - he certainly hasn’t shown it in defence at AFL level though.

Nyhuis > Hughes??? GTFO

If you based it just on yesterday maybe but anyone that watched both closely last year (at Peel and Freo) would never come to that conclusion. At full fitness Hughes is far too good for WAFL - think he was in the top handful of players/BOG in every Peel game he played (he only missed 4 AFL games from memory) last year and earned coming straight back into Freo's B22.

You can absolutely get injured because you are two months behind the rest of the squad.

Footballers football, that's why they talk about minutes in games and not efforts, they will compete until they drop or a muscle pops.

We are in a very precarious position in that two of our most talented players are also two of our most underdeveloped. They will get smashed around, targeted hard hits and tackles. They will play sore and it will effect performance, they need to be fit and strong before they start.

Yep, S Hill was at his brilliant best last year and then came back too early and was a shadow of the injury free player.

I am happy that they are waiting until his injuries are completely over before re-introducing him. They will, unfortunately, start pushing players back whilst still under a cloud as soon as the season starts though.

The problem playing your best hand at the start of the season, puts the spotlight on your game plan and every other
team puts time, energy to beat you.
Plenty of coaches have got the timing right with their run into finals, flying under the radar, our 2013 was exactly this.
2015 we smashed the eagles in the first derby, yet Simpson learned more from that game.
Us on the other hand, our fast start, playing out best hand first, in the end proved we were a one trick pony.
We are still waiting to see what has changed.

Pretty sure clubs these days put the equal amount of time into preparing for each opponent regardless.

Hawks used to be accused of peaking too soon only to peak again in finals. Coaches need a main game plan with many set plays and strategies that can easily be introduced or bolted on as the season progresses.

Nyhuis just played a decent wafl game in defence and is fit. That's the difference.
I like both players, and they play a different style. Feel sorry for Nyhius to be judged after 5 AFL games, could play
the Spurr role in time. Also missed games last year due to injury, but you have to consider so many of our players
can play dual roles, just need the chance.

I like both players, and they play a different style. Feel sorry for Nyhius to be judged after 5 AFL games, could play
the Spurr role in time. Also missed games last year due to injury, but you have to consider so many of our players
I think he's an intelligent footballer. Can do a job e.g on Ryan every time they played Subi and has shown he will take the game on and can kick goals as in game against North last year. I hope they play him because I think he could offer more than Spurr for example and maybe a steadier head than Hughes.

Yes. I think he is a player we need to test a bit at the higher level when the opportunity arises. Seems to have a disciplined mindset about him which Lyon will value highly. Should be a handy player, though may be doomed to sit in that 15-30th player range.

Yes. I think he is a player we need to test a bit at the higher level when the opportunity arises. Seems to have a disciplined mindset about him which Lyon will value highly. Should be a handy player, though may be doomed to sit in that 15-30th player range.

I don’t think he’s even in that range yet tbh. If he is by the end of the season he’s done ok and he’s probably earned himself a spot on the senior list. As I said before I think he has some nice traits but I feel if he doesn’t reach this point it’s curtains at the end of the year. As much as I hate to admit that’s what’s most likely to happen.

At this stage he’s a touch overrated by this board. People are using his jobs on Liam Ryan as proof he’s ready to play at AFL level yet you go to other threads on this board and Liam Ryan is never going to be AFL standard and was a laughable selection by West Coast. Talk about double standards.

Hughes is in the top five athletes on our list and imo is a better kick and mark than Nyhuis. Nyhuis knows defence inside out which is his greatest strength but outside of that is ok at everything without being great at anything. Hughes is a far superior prospect.

I think tomorrow will be a good Rorschach test for us supporters.
Did you hear about the west coast “supporter” who stayed up all night studying for an upcoming urine test.
Yeah, I’m taking the pi55 :rolleyes:
Any updates are much appreciated for those of us without Foxtel or the AFL app thing (live pass?):thumbsu:

Did you hear about the west coast “supporter” who stayed up all night studying for an upcoming urine test.
Yeah, I’m taking the pi55 :rolleyes:
Any updates are much appreciated for those of us without Foxtel or the AFL app thing (live pass?):thumbsu:
If you are a Telstra Mobile customer you can watch AFL for free (data free).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nyhuis is a very consistent and defensive minded player who I feel should get a crack at locking down the oppositions most dangerous small/medium fwd.

We have Ryan and Wilson (Blakely while he is at HB as well) as the attacking/intercept defenders and enough talls with Hamling/AP/Logue who are pretty athletic as well (also MJ but obviously not the same player these days).

Hughes could potentially play the 3rd tall/intercept role too as he has the size and athleticism but isn't as consistent at this stage and is back in the queue. Upside is probably greater than Nyhuis but not as good defensively imo.

Over in the great state for this one. Soaking up the sun at HBF and looking forward to seeing the young'uns rip this year's wooden spooners a new one. Few of the boys near the stand entrance, as others have said Huge Dix is going to be a massive unit when he goes beefcake.

Speaking of which, I probably need a new team polo - starting to feel a bit fat for this one... totally the shirt's fault, not mine, must have shrunk, etc.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is there a way to watch this if you don’t have a Foxtel or AFL subscription?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back