Game Day JLT2 - Melbourne v St Kilda, Thursday 8 March, 7.05pm, Casey

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a worry, the old man's injury, they have the tendency to cause continual issues.

Source: I have a compression sock on one of my right now after hurting it - again - yesterday.

Lends more weight to my ablett theory ...

Bugg is in until he decides otherwise.

Flip a coin between ANB and Brayshaw for the last wing position. Salem has a little way to go.

JKH is a Lock for serving oranges. If he plays I quit.

Edit: Forgot to mention- very close to what I see.

Your taking the piss re ANB surely? He is easily inside out best 18 given his massive tank and importance for linking us up through the centre.. actually rekon he’s headed for a top 10 b&f finish

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Your taking the piss re ANB surely? He is easily inside out best 18 given his massive tank and importance for linking us up through the centre.. actually rekon he’s headed for a top 10 b&f finish

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree regarding ANB. Off the back of the North JLT game I have slotted him into my supercoach team.

Maybe you're selling Brayshaw short? Viney, Jones, Oliver, Tyson are a strong midfield, one spot left and on talent I'd like to see Gus get the nod.

I missed the preseason and AFLX though. We'll see what happens when the real s**t starts :)

Maybe you're selling Brayshaw short? Viney, Jones, Oliver, Tyson are a strong midfield, one spot left and on talent I'd like to see Gus get the nod.

I missed the preseason and AFLX though. We'll see what happens when the real s**t starts :)

Very simplistic to name 4 inside midfielders and then say we don't have room for ANB.

He plays on the wing/HFF. He's done more at AFL level than Brayshaw and he's s better player than Tyson.

Mate we have a core of about half a dozen to 10 players who are guaranteed and then I reckon everyone else is on edge.

Tmac/Hogan/Garlett/Trac/Gawn/Viney/Oliver/Jones/Jetta/Hibberd.

That's already 10 blokes and I haven't included Hunt Melk ANB Hannan etc who I think are locks. Lewis plays poor for a couple weeks and he will be dropped,

Hunt, Lever and I think Melksham will be a lock this year. There’s 13.

Sorry though, I reckon Lewis is also a lock. That’s 14 certain best 22 players who if available, won’t play at Casey this year.

Very simplistic to name 4 inside midfielders and then say we don't have room for ANB.
I never said we didn't have room for him; I said he's battling for a spot in the starting 18 with Brayshaw.

I disagree he's better than Tyson. Maybe he's "done more" than ANB, but if Brayshaw can get through the season without a concussion his talent will shine through.

We'll see in a couple of weeks. If ANB ends up being half as good as people are making him out to be, I'll be stoked.

Last edited:
Anyone else think that the 2nd round of pre-season games kinda looks like a rivalry round? (Probably due to it being the pre-season)
I think that's largely due to keeping the interstate teams at home, so they automatically play each other. There isn't too many big rivalries between the Vic clubs (although, living in Bris, so I probably don't have a true appreciation for some of them) us against St Kilda is probably the biggest, and even that was probably born from their winning streak against us, and the comparisons between each list and who will see success first, which based on each teams for JTL game, should cease to be even contemplated at some stage this season.

I think that's largely due to keeping the interstate teams at home, so they automatically play each other. There isn't too many big rivalries between the Vic clubs (although, living in Bris, so I probably don't have a true appreciation for some of them) us against St Kilda is probably the biggest, and even that was probably born from their winning streak against us, and the comparisons between each list and who will see success first, which based on each teams for JTL game, should cease to be even contemplated at some stage this season.
Living in Brisbane, i'd say your spot on. AFL rivalries have died down. Although that said, i think our with the pies has had a modern resurgence which is nice to see.

I was probably more thinking of a Heritage Round
Richmond-North dominance in the 70s, Carlton-Hawthorn dominance in the 80s, Melbourne-St. Kilda having the longest current premiership doughts, That one particular game between Salmon and Ablett and Collingwood and Footscray...for a reason not know to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rivalries certainly have dropped away between Vic clubs for quite some time now. What's left are generally manufactured by the media / AFL or hangers-on from 20 years ago.

I think the rivalry thing has died down in part due to the fact it's a national competition. It also fluctuates at times ie there's usually two dominant teams that seem to always have great games. Like Geelong and Hawthorn in recent times or Sydney v Hawthorn. I don't really care about Collingwood anymore than the bulldogs because a win is a win. (Though personally I really love beating the bombers for no other reason than their nuffie supporters).

I think the rivalry thing has died down in part due to the fact it's a national competition. It also fluctuates at times ie there's usually two dominant teams that seem to always have great games. Like Geelong and Hawthorn in recent times or Sydney v Hawthorn. I don't really care about Collingwood anymore than the bulldogs because a win is a win. (Though personally I really love beating the bombers for no other reason than their nuffie supporters).

Sanitizing of the game. All the great rivalries had a physical element to them. Now with it being a bunch of blokes who all smile and cuddle after the game there's no reason to hate another team especially if they aren't any good. That and there being no home grounds or real bases anymore so outside of family ties you have no real affiliation with the club.

Professionalism is a natural antidote to rivalries within the AFL context - when you have equal incentive to win every game, and no non-arbitrary reason to dislike any particular team, it's automatic that rivalries are going to die out. It's not a big deal.

Professionalism is a natural antidote to rivalries within the AFL context - when you have equal incentive to win every game, and no non-arbitrary reason to dislike any particular team, it's automatic that rivalries are going to die out. It's not a big deal.

Seems a weird point to make. Rivalries are still relevant - Geelong and Hawthorn when they were vying for Premierships, ditto West Coast and Sydney in the noughties. The Q Clash and Battle for Sydney or whatever they call it are manufactured and don't count, but I don't see how you can say rivalries are going to die out when they're going to occur between competitive teams. They'll certainly come and go.

Sanitizing of the game. All the great rivalries had a physical element to them. Now with it being a bunch of blokes who all smile and cuddle after the game there's no reason to hate another team especially if they aren't any good. That and there being no home grounds or real bases anymore so outside of family ties you have no real affiliation with the club.

Well it was all very tribal . At one point you could go to mcg, punt rd, Victoria park, Brunswick st oval, princess park all these suburbs are next to each other and visiting these places both as a player and supporter you are met with hostility. Now we all go to either the mcg or etihad where the crowd's more 50/50 and the venue is familiar. Not really sure about the one city two team rivalries but you're right you can't get away with the stuff like they did in the 90s. How many derbys/showdowns ended up with melee's because of a vicious head high bump or something.

Well it was all very tribal . At one point you could go to mcg, punt rd, Victoria park, Brunswick st oval, princess park all these suburbs are next to each other and visiting these places both as a player and supporter you are met with hostility. Now we all go to either the mcg or etihad where the crowd's more 50/50 and the venue is familiar. Not really sure about the one city two team rivalries but you're right you can't get away with the stuff like they did in the 90s. How many derbys/showdowns ended up with melee's because of a vicious head high bump or something.

The tribal footy fans are dying out replaced by casual observers. AFL don't care because it's the same money. Next generation growing up in Melbourne have nothing that seperates Collingwood from North, Carlton from Melbourne.

The tribal footy fans are dying out replaced by casual observers. AFL don't care because it's the same money. Next generation growing up in Melbourne have nothing that seperates Collingwood from North, Carlton from Melbourne.
Not totally. Carlton supporters are still weirdos. Even the babies are weird. Always will be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back