Joel Selwood Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He's played well over 300 games in 15 seasons and been part of 3 premiership teams. Must have been doing something right all these years. I've never regarded him a "ducker" as such, he developed this style of warding off the tackle with his arm resulting in many free kicks for high contact. Whether it's illegal, the umpires don't appear to think so. Neither do I. For years I've claimed many players don't go in low enough with the tackle.

He gets the trainers to squirt oil from a sauce bottle at every break so he can do his arm lifting routine.

It is deliberate, it is practised, it is cheating.

The AFL should have dealt with it a long time ago.

Gee that finals record is ugly. I know it’s hardly his fault but its not something you’d ever want to have linked to you.

Gee that finals record is ugly. I know it’s hardly his fault but its not something you’d ever want to have linked to you.

Yeah it is but in the opposition box last night was a bloke who is going to finish his career in the top 5 for losses in the history of the sport and I, and I’m certain, most demons fans, don’t really think of Nathan Jones as being linked to that.

Yeah it is but in the opposition box last night was a bloke who is going to finish his career in the top 5 for losses in the history of the sport and I, and I’m certain, most demons fans, don’t really think of Nathan Jones as being linked to that.
I get what you’re saying but Jones will forever be linked with one of the worst periods in the history of the Demons. Everybody will remember him as one of the few shining lights of an otherwise forgettable period. It’s obviously not his fault though, as this record isn’t Joel’s. Just a victim of circumstance.

I get what you’re saying but Jones will forever be linked with one of the worst periods in the history of the Demons. Everybody will remember him as one of the few shining lights of an otherwise forgettable period. It’s obviously not his fault though, as this record isn’t Joel’s. Just a victim of circumstance.

Well yes I get what you mean. As you point out though no one associates that team failure with Jones. He has been colossal and one of the reasons I would still watch demons games against us during an era when you knew you’d be winning by 10 goals at least

He's the Andy Murray of midfielders.

Just like everyone use to pretend there was a 'Big 4' but it was really a 'Big 3 + Murray', Selwood has never been up there with the elite midfielders of his era like GAJ, Pendles, JPK or Danger.

Just like everyone use to pretend there was a 'Big 4' but it was really a 'Big 3 + Murray', Selwood has never been up there with the elite midfielders of his era like GAJ, Pendles, JPK or Danger.

lost most of us at danger

Try GAJ Dusty Vossy

For some obscure reason umpires in this era have fallen in love with Selwood even paying his "headbutts" as high tackles.

Personally I think if you headbutt someone you should get suspended.
We played Geelong a couple of years ago and Selwood ran into Hawkins while a WCE player was there.

Ump paid a high free to Selwood when the contact canme from Hawkins, I kid you not.

Problem with Selwood is, you take away his incredible ability to draw a free kick, which he is the greatest of all time at doing, he is just a battler , a plodder, who doesn't kick goals has iffy disposal and minimal impact with his possessions.
Selwood is the best of the battlers

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of these is not like the others..

Problem with Selwood is, you take away his incredible ability to draw a free kick, which he is the greatest of all time at doing, he is just a good ordinary player, a plodder, who doesn't kick goals has iffy disposal and minimal impact with his possessions.

He actually has pretty solid disposal. He is vanilla though.

Over 10% of his career disposals are from free kicks

He’s got 3 flags and a glittering record- wouldn’t be too sorry for him.

He’s is the Stephen Powell & Nathan Jones category. Tough honest footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back