Joel Selwood - Just a good average player?

Remove this Banner Ad

on pure football talent he probably wouldn't be in the top 20 players in the league, but his intangibles are what make him elite.

The post you responded to said he has an amazing reputation.

You responded saying no, he has an amazing reputation, look at 3xAA's! (sarcastically remarking reputation in tatters)

No-one had questioned his reputation. That is the point that you missed.
And the point you’re missing is that the 3xAA captaincy’s were not referenced in defence of his reputation, but evidence of his performance. Unless you think every award he’s received as captain has been completely gifted and unearned? I think the multiple accolades he’s received during his time as captain provide a better argument in defence of his performance than one cynical post here does of deriding it.

Beaten in Geelong's best and fairest by Motlop and Blicavs LOL :D and the Cats finished 10th on the ladder.
Really, it should've been his Brownlow season - no other superstars pinching any votes from him. But he could only poll 13 votes.

Selwood's yearly Champion Data ranking points avg:
  • 2007 - 77.3
  • 2008 - 98.2
  • 2009 - 110.8
  • 2010 - 117.8
  • 2011 - 111.5
  • 2012 - 117.4
  • 2013 - 118.4
  • 2014 - 120.9
  • 2015 - 104.5
  • 2016 - 110.8
  • 2017 - 102.2
  • 2018 - 105.0
So you’re pointing out that even his worst year is still elite. His 2015 average was actually 104.8. Dusty Martin this year is 104.7

And the point you’re missing is that the 3xAA captaincy’s were not referenced in defence of his reputation, but evidence of his performance. Unless you think every award he’s received as captain has been completely gifted and unearned? I think the multiple accolades he’s received during his time as captain provide a better argument in defence of his performance than one cynical post here does of deriding it.
You said "reputation in tatters". You made a mistake mate, admit it and move on.

Let’s try and keep it simple and address the thread’s premise. A one word answer will suffice.
Do you think that Selwood is just a good, average footballer?

No.

Selwood is better than a good, average footballer... but worse than the reputation he was anointed with by the media following his team's incredible success as a young player.

No.

Selwood is better than a good, average footballer... but worse than the reputation he was anointed with by the media following his team's incredible success as a young player.
Ah well, happy to agree to disagree.
If anything he is underrated- it’s not about the media-can’t tell you how many games over the years we would have lost but for Selwood. Stood up again and again and again... wonderful footballer.
Very glad to have seen his career. Bad luck for you to have missed it,

Ah well, happy to agree to disagree.
If anything he is underrated- it’s not about the media-can’t tell you how many games over the years we would have lost but for Selwood. Stood up again and again and again... wonderful footballer.
Very glad to have seen his career. Bad luck for you to have missed it,

No way his reputation is below his ability lol.

No.

If that was the case where did the coaches, umpires, players, media and everyone else get it wrong? He is a deservedly highly decorated player.

If that was the case where did the coaches, umpires, players, media and everyone else get it wrong? He is a deservedly highly decorated player.

Like I said, it's common to gush over individuals in premiership teams. Selwood was a young tough nut midfielder in one of the best teams in history, and plays without fear. People respect that.

So he's not as good of a footballer as his supremely high respect level suggests.

Thats easy

Because there are a lot of sheep in the industry. And people are easily led.
That's what I love about BF. "Bullshit Free" discussion where there's no risk of history being rewritten

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said, it's common to gush over individuals in premiership teams. Selwood was a young tough nut midfielder in one of the best teams in history, and plays without fear. People respect that.

So he's not as good of a footballer as his supremely high respect level suggests.
I wonder how he would be rated if you took away his extraordinary courage.

Yes ,a good average player. I would put the following midfield players from his era above him:Ablett, Judd, Dangerfield, Martin,, Sam Mitchell, Nat Fyfe, Scott Pendulbury, Dane Swan ,Trent Cotchin.

Yes ,a good average player. I would put the following midfield players from his era above him:Ablett, Judd, Dangerfield, Martin,, Sam Mitchell, Nat Fyfe, Scott Pendulbury, Dane Swan ,Trent Cotchin.

No way are Mitchell, Martin and Cotchin are above him and Pendlebury is debatable

Remove this Banner Ad

Back