John Todd Tribute - 700th game coached

Remove this Banner Ad

GoEagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2000
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I was going to post a tribute message to John Todd in the Regional Boards and I still might, but I wanted to share on the AFL board what this man has done for football, especially here in Western Australia.

Today he coached his 700th game joining a very elite group of men who have coached 700+ games in state footy/national footy.

He played for South Fremantle and at the age of 17 he won the Sandover Medal in 1955.

He did his knee the following year, but in the age where there was no technology for rehabilitation he carried on playing. Yet 5 years later he was an All-Australian when WA beat the Vics in the National Carnival.

His coaching success:
East Fremantle to premiership in 1974
Swan Districs to premierships in 1982, 1983, 1984, 1990
South Fremantle to premiership in 1997

... and of course to the West Coast Eagles first finals in only their second year in the VFL (1988). IMO he could of taken the Eagles to premiership glory in the 90s like Mick did if he was the coach.

He's also coached WA in state of origin several times and coached some famous footballers over 3 decades: Steve Marsh, Jack Clarke, Polly Farmer, Barry Cable, Brian Peake, Guy McKenna, John Worsfold, Clem Michael, Dean Rioli... etc.

Freo should of gone after this bloke after they got rid of Neesham, I know they wanted a Victorian influence from Damian Drum, but this guy had the experience and Freo passion to get them rolling.

And to those who were wondering about todays game, Swan Districts who are bottom of the ladder beat Claremont who were top! The boys carried Toddy off the ground, much to the delight of the crowd at Bassendean Oval

John Todd - a legend

Good post, Go Eagles. I just wanted to put this post at the top of the board - Toddy has done fantastically well over six (6) decades in WA footy.

Many of the Eagles who went on to Premiership glory in 92 & 94 now realise (with greater maturity) what Toddy was banging on about in 1988 & 1989 and respect him enormously.

...and that win yesterday was remarkable. Swans have no money and are really struggling with one (1) win all season and managed to knock off the top team (then), Claremont, who are a very exciting team with a few potential draftees.

Shows how much the players wanted to win for him (& well done Scotty Cummings with 5 goals back at his home ground).

Onya John Todd. Legendary work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back