Player Watch Jordan De Goey (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordy just needs to find the balance, he has now shown the ability to win the ball on the inside and outside. Just seems to do 1 or the other at this point. He desperately needs to work on not overcommiting to tackles.

This last month or so has been really encouraging though. He really needs another huge pre season, because JDG and Adams will be carrying a huge load next year. I'm definitely a lot more confident he is capable of it though.

I've been critical of his workrate when things are down but this was not the case yesterday.

His numbers might not reflect this but I think he showed that he is commited to the team. After Pendles went down too much was left to him and Adams. Elliot was moved from the forward line to help out in short stints and Fin worked to the best of his ability but we were up against it.

He won't ever be Dusty but he's as good as we have.

I've been critical of his workrate when things are down but this was not the case yesterday.

His numbers might not reflect this but I think he showed that he is commited to the team. After Pendles went down too much was left to him and Adams. Elliot was moved from the forward line to help out in short stints and Fin worked to the best of his ability but we were up against it.

He won't ever be Dusty but he's as good as we have.
I agree. Never Dusty, but if he can channel this month into a whole season he's right back with Petracca in that tier below.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jordy just needs to find the balance, he has now shown the ability to win the ball on the inside and outside. Just seems to do 1 or the other at this point. He desperately needs to work on not overcommiting to tackles.

This last month or so has been really encouraging though. He really needs another huge pre season, because JDG and Adams will be carrying a huge load next year. I'm definitely a lot more confident he is capable of it though.
Should Adams be on the trade table?

Did I say that? Or anything that could possibly lead to you asking such a stupid question?
Suns will give up their 1st pick for the right player. They want someone experienced. Adams is not an A grade mid, he turns it over far too much and get outbodied too often too by bigger mids. Is also undisciplined and a bit of a knucklehead. Injured a bit too, would be a good trade.

Suns will give up their 1st pick for the right player. They want someone experienced. Adams is not an A grade mid, he turns it over far too much and get outbodied too often too by bigger mids. Is also undisciplined and a bit of a knucklehead. Injured a bit too, would be a good trade.
Also our next captain, so no. Heart and soul of this team. I get what you mean, but no, not Adams.

Yet not a single solitary clearance yesterday. Is Adams the only mid we have that is prepared to win his own ball?
DeGoey has to be coached better in his stoppage work. His current style of just flashing through and hoping it falls perfectly or he's out of the contest is really low percentage. He's playing much better around the ground though, despite being a mediocre kick.

DeGoey has to be coached better in his stoppage work. His current style of just flashing through and hoping it falls perfectly or he's out of the contest is really low percentage. He's playing much better around the ground though, despite being a mediocre kick.
Hopefully more mid time will do that but that's his role at the stoppage as the one on the move and to be fair I think of our mids he is the one we want to have that flyer bursting out the front of the stoppage. The better teams have those players that get out the front of the stoppage and forward of the ball but they also have good defensive setups around the stoppage too for the times it don't work. It looks great when works and poor if it don't but something you have to live with if you want those attacking plays from stoppage.
I think though our players are generally too flat footed around the stoppage some players can do that Pendles, Daics by weaving and dodging when they get it but Jordys strength is burst and power so trying to maximise that isn't a bad thing I believe.

Past month..
DeGoey averaging 29 disposals and nearly a goal a game.
Adams averaging 28
Crips 26
Pendles and Sidy 19
But having a closer look at the disposals and most of them are uncontested (is that our ‘keeping a off’ style) and clearances around 3 a game. Maybe the clearance numbers can improve with more experience in the middle. Or maybe it’s the role they want him to play re: low contested disposals.

But definitely looking better with more consistency.

Top 5 players currently

Adams
Crisp
Degoey
Pendles
Maynard

No surprises when Tigers became good Dusty became elite, put DeGoey in a well drilled team where he doesn't need be the best Mid or Fwd and watch him go to another level.

Pretty much our best kick with Pendles and WHE.

But having a closer look at the disposals and most of them are uncontested (is that our ‘keeping a off’ style) and clearances around 3 a game. Maybe the clearance numbers can improve with more experience in the middle. Or maybe it’s the role they want him to play re: low contested disposals.

But definitely looking better with more consistency.
Grundy, Adams and Pendlebury are our contested clearance winners this year. Which is slightly damning, given Pendlebury is more of an outside-inside mid than a purely inside mid, and Grundy is a ruck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back