Player Watch Jordan De Goey (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right, times have changed. What you may have done at his age is not really that relevant.

I know teen-agers (17/18) that are better behaved and they certainly have never put themselves in situations where alcohol and fighting occurs.

I am not throwing stones but neither am I 'white-washing' assault charges irrespective of whether it was downgraded to put the matter at rest via 'plea bargaining'.

Plea bargaining is the way most offences get resolved. Think it runs at over 90% in many places. No need to characterise that part as some sort of voodoo magic only achievable through a highly paid lawyer.

No injuries to the victim means he is stiff to have copped any penalty.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bit more than that, he was very lucky not getting suspended.

Documents released by Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday say De Goey was driving a black Maserati GranCabrio on December 28 last year when police detected him speeding at 93km/h in an 80km/h zone on Nepean Highway, Brighton East.
Police pulled him over and found that as a probationary driver he wasn’t permitted to be driving the sports car, and that he didn’t have P-plates displayed.

Jordan De Goey pleaded guilty to seven charges.

He told the officers the car wasn’t his and that P-plates were on his other car. “I’m literally just dropping it off, there’s no other reason I’d have this car,” De Goey told the officers about the Maserati.
The footballer also admitted to texting on his mobile phone while stationary at traffic lights in his blue Lexus in Punt Road, South Yarra, on July 6, 2019. His licence was suspended at the time because of accrued demerit points.
De Goey conceded to police he had “no reason” for texting while on the road, and said he had “no idea” his licence was suspended at the time. His Lexus was later impounded for 30 days.
In the other road offence, De Goey was pulled over for failing to display P-plates on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle he was riding in Olympic Boulevard, Melbourne, on February 13 last year. He was initially charged with failing to wear a compliant helmet, but that charge was later withdrawn.

Magistrate Timothy Bourke on August 18 fined De Goey $2075, without conviction, after he pleaded guilty to seven charges including speeding and driving while suspended.
Mr Bourke opted not to suspend De Goey from driving, but warned future breaches would run the risk of having his licence suspended or cancelled.
Cheeses, he's lucky we don't have the death penalty in this country.

Documents released by Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday say De Goey was driving a black Maserati GranCabrio on December 28 last year when police detected him speeding at 93km/h in an 80km/h zone on Nepean Highway, Brighton East.
Police pulled him over and found that as a probationary driver he wasn’t permitted to be driving the sports car, and that he didn’t have P-plates displayed.

He told the officers the car wasn’t his and that P-plates were on his other car. “I’m literally just dropping it off, there’s no other reason I’d have this car,” De Goey told the officers about the Maserati.
The footballer also admitted to texting on his mobile phone while stationary at traffic lights in his blue Lexus in Punt Road, South Yarra, on July 6, 2019. His licence was suspended at the time because of accrued demerit points.
De Goey conceded to police he had “no reason” for texting while on the road, and said he had “no idea” his licence was suspended at the time. His Lexus was later impounded for 30 days.
In the other road offence, De Goey was pulled over for failing to display P-plates on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle he was riding in Olympic Boulevard, Melbourne, on February 13 last year. He was initially charged with failing to wear a compliant helmet, but that charge was later withdrawn.

Magistrate Timothy Bourke on August 18 fined De Goey $2075, without conviction, after he pleaded guilty to seven charges including speeding and driving while suspended.
Mr Bourke opted not to suspend De Goey from driving, but warned future breaches would run the risk of having his licence suspended or cancelled.

Put another way, he didn’t do enough to get his licence further suspended. Shouldn’t even be a news item.

There is a good book you should read, “3 felonies a day”. On my 90 minute drive today I reckon I would have looked at my phone on the freeway (at 0kmh) and actually hit 113 rolling down a hill. Maybe I need a diversion program.

Plea bargaining is the way most offences get resolved. Think it runs at over 90% in many places.

I know that! Prosecutors love it. I have friends that work in court houses in NY and Connecticut.

No injuries to the victim means he is stiff to have copped any penalty.

No injuries so no victim?

Given that the story on here is the others started the fight/disagreement, what were they charged with?

Fair string, but all really minor misdemeanours in my eyes.

Fair string, but all really minor misdemeanours in my eyes
Failing to wear a compliant helmet? Is that because the compliance sticker had worn off?
Charge dropped.
Doing 93 in an 80 zone…nobody does that…
Dropping off a Maserati for a friend…we’ve all done that…
edit: does JDG have his own Police Squad following him?

Failing to wear a compliant helmet? Is that because the compliance sticker had worn off?
Charge dropped.
Doing 93 in an 80 zone…nobody does that…
Dropping off a Maserati for a friend…we’ve all done that…
It's quite common to hear young blokes say, "No! I'm not going to drive your Maserati, as I'm still on my Ps!"

I know that! Prosecutors love it. I have friends that work in court houses in NY and Connecticut.

No injuries so no victim?

Given that the story on here is the others started the fight/disagreement, what were they charged with?

If you know it why are you trying to characterise it as something he received because of his big lawyer?

Looked at another way, maybe a plea bargain is a terrible result for De Goey, but the best available option as opposed to the time and trouble of going to a hearing.

No injury, no victim is a pretty decent principle. Maybe this is is something you aren’t familiar with, but nightclub scuffles where no injuries are caused should not make it to court. The whole thing has been a terrible use of the court system.

As for the victim not being charged, maybe De Goey declined the option? Because he isn’t a little pussy. The other guy sounds like one. Maybe there was no assault from the other guy as he was so crap at fighting he was put on his arse before his attempted punch(es?) could land.

If you know it why are you trying to characterise it as something he received because of his big lawyer?

Looked at another way, maybe a plea bargain is a terrible result for De Goey, but the best available option as opposed to the time and trouble of going to a hearing.

No injury, no victim is a pretty decent principle. Maybe this is is something you aren’t familiar with, but nightclub scuffles where no injuries are caused should not make it to court. The whole thing has been a terrible use of the court system.

As for the victim not being charged, maybe De Goey declined the option? Because he isn’t a little pussy. The other guy sounds like one. Maybe there was no assault from the other guy as he was so crap at fighting he was put on his arse before his attempted punch(es?) could land.

Spot on, minor scuffle between intoxicated patrons, waste of resources, those laughing are the lawyers!

In terms of sponsors, I think it's a bit of a furphy. Dennis Rodman lost a few sponsors over the years due to stuff ups, but he also earned significantly more from sponsorship than Scottie Pippen, who most consider to have been a significantly better player - JDG is on the nose for some companies, but he's marketing gold for others.

Back in the day when Dennis Rodman was defending hoops, not every punter out and about was carrying a camera in their pocket.

And even if they were - they’d have to wait a week (well after they’d sobered up) and spend the equivalent of 3 or 4 rounds of beers to get them developed.

And even if they did that, they’d have to be bothered to find a stamp and an envelope and look up the yellow pages for the address of a media outlet to publish it.

We live in a very different world today, it works very differently, and has very different values.

Sure, some people can trade off their notoriety - Clive Palmer and Mike Lindell to name a few. But they are in the tiny minority.

Last edited:
Sure, but even though you don’t care about off-field stuff, do you understand that some people do care?

And that some sponsors care?

And that some people who buy from sponsors care?

And even if you believe that the world has gone in the wrong direction with this stuff, and that the world needs to be righted, is a lad who must be on his 8th, 15th or 23rd warning really the battlefield that this should be fought on?
For me he is exactly the battlefield we should fight this on. I find it hypocritical in lots of ways that posters will forgive their own sins and sins of players past but have developed an almost zero tolerance for what are in the main transgressions that should be of no interest to us. I am against the idea of sponsors dictating players behaviour standards (as unrealistic as that may be).

De Goey to me is a ratbag and i know and love plenty of ratbags. Whether De Goey is lovable or a good bloke I really have no idea. I would reject our need or ability to judge him as a human or a man fit to play footy on what we know of him. This most recent incident, on what we know of it, causes me no concern. I reckon it was a bit of summary justice, not unwarranted. Except that he is famous here its a non issue and I think only ended in court because of the false story of touching.

I don't get peoples seeming need to judge these AFL footballers so closely and know details of their stuff outside footy. They are only footballers not role models. If anyone guenuinely wants to judge him this hard I can't see how thay cant want to judge the whole club to the same standard ( to be clear i don't want to). It seems hypocritical for the club to continue to acclaim and at times eulogise the likes of Pants, Tuddy and our other rogues who have far worse records the Jordy while wanting our players to be more lilywhite than almost all other groups in the community.

I do understand that some people care. But yes I think JDG is a worthy hill. As in terms of the huge number of warnings - what for? He's being judged on a reputation that may or may not be justified - I don't see this big string of issues - unless we're going to include things like driving 78 in a 60 zone... or wearing a non-compliant helmet ... In terms of getting into trouble, I just see him having what is a pretty standard passage through his 20s for many males.

In terms of sponsors, I think it's a bit of a furphy. Dennis Rodman lost a few sponsors over the years due to stuff ups, but he also earned significantly more from sponsorship than Scottie Pippen, who most consider to have been a significantly better player - JDG is on the nose for some companies, but he's marketing gold for others.
Really sr any single incident doesn't matter and to an extent the numbers of warnings can be noted.

However it's the attitude behind them that is the concern.

It speaks of arrogance and a belief he is above lesser mortals in accountability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The amount of debate on a player who at 25 still hasn't delivered on HSI Potential is amazing, I what should be a massive year for him with a big contract at the end of it starts of well with getting himself in shape in the off season to getting arrested and charged. I keep hoping the guy will grow up and live up to his potential but the faith is waning fast. IMO he wont be at the club next year unless he accepts unders as other clubs will pay him the $ he wants.

Sure, some people can trade off their notoriety - Clive Palmer and Mike Lindell to name a few. But they are in the tiny minority.

I wasn't really talking about JDG's notoriety making him more marketable. But like basketball, AFL is marketed as a high octane, high energy sport. Jordy encapsulates that image better than any other Magpie currently does. I dearsay Monster Energy, for example, would have loved the dressing gown shenanigans - the s**t that followed - not so much. Overall, some sponsors may want out due to JDG being a Pie - but others would want in. Watch how many promos for Collingwood games involve JDG - he sells.

Really sr any single incident doesn't matter and to an extent the numbers of warnings can be noted.

However it's the attitude behind them that is the concern.

It speaks of arrogance and a belief he is above lesser mortals in accountability.
I'm not going to pretend I know the attitude behind any of JDG's misdemeanours. But it's no surprise to me that someone who plays footy in the attacking, risk-taking style that Degoey plays, also can be prone to some risk taking behaviour off the footy field.

Let's not forget it is fines and fear of getting in trouble, rather than morality that has played the biggest part in driving down traffic offences in Australia.

Last edited:
For me he is exactly the battlefield we should fight this on. I find it hypocritical in lots of ways that posters will forgive their own sins and sins of players past but have developed an almost zero tolerance for what are in the main transgressions that should be of no interest to us. I am against the idea of sponsors dictating players behaviour standards (as unrealistic as that may be).

De Goey to me is a ratbag and i know and love plenty of ratbags. Whether De Goey is lovable or a good bloke I really have no idea. I would reject our need or ability to judge him as a human or a man fit to play footy on what we know of him. This most recent incident, on what we know of it, causes me no concern. I reckon it was a bit of summary justice, not unwarranted. Except that he is famous here its a non issue and I think only ended in court because of the false story of touching.

I don't get peoples seeming need to judge these AFL footballers so closely and know details of their stuff outside footy. They are only footballers not role models. If anyone guenuinely wants to judge him this hard I can't see how thay cant want to judge the whole club to the same standard ( to be clear i don't want to). It seems hypocritical for the club to continue to acclaim and at times eulogise the likes of Pants, Tuddy and our other rogues who have far worse records the Jordy while wanting our players to be more lilywhite than almost all other groups in the community.

Be a good mod and suspend the next clown who posts defamatory falsehoods. Like labelling JDG a felon.

I'm not going to pretend I know the attitude behind any of JDG's misdemeanours. But it's no surprise to me that someone who plays footy in the attacking, risk-taking style that Degoey plays, also can be prone to some risk taking behaviour off the footy field.

Let's not forget it is fines and fear of getting in trouble, rather than morality that has played the biggest part in driving down traffic offences in Australia.
Amen to that

For me he is exactly the battlefield we should fight this on. I find it hypocritical in lots of ways that posters will forgive their own sins and sins of players past but have developed an almost zero tolerance for what are in the main transgressions that should be of no interest to us.

I don’t think we should judge players past by the values of today.

IMO much of this cancel culture of the world today is dangerous. I don’t think it’s healthy for our descendants to judge us badly for things that are perfectly socially acceptable today. Just as I don’t think it’s healthy of us to judge harshly our descendants who lived 200 years ago in an agrarian society.

I don’t think we should be judging what footy players did 50, 20, or even 10 years ago by the expectations or standards of today.

I am against the idea of sponsors dictating players behaviour standards (as unrealistic as that may be).

Look at it from the sponsors’ point of view: consumers are holding them to account today. Is it reasonable for sponsors to expect that the sponsee (I made up a word) upholds values that are compatible with their own? The sponsors are essentially paying for association and exposure. Isn’t it fair that sponsors‘ contracts expect standards to be upheld?

I don't get peoples seeming need to judge these AFL footballers so closely and know details of their stuff outside footy.

Agree 👍

They are only footballers not role models.

Alex Hawke would disagree 😀

If anyone guenuinely wants to judge him this hard I can't see how thay cant want to judge the whole club to the same standard ( to be clear i don't want to). It seems hypocritical for the club to continue to acclaim and at times eulogise the likes of Pants, Tuddy and our other rogues who have far worse records the Jordy while wanting our players to be more lilywhite than almost all other groups in the community.

Perhaps the difference in the past is that players could be anonymous off the footy field. We’d have no idea what players got up to in a NY nightclub at 2am.

Perhaps in JDG’s case, some of the blame could be levelled at his mate for posting their pre-antics on social media? Would this have blown up as big if there were no pics or vids of JDG slam dancing in a bathrobe?

I don’t think we should judge players past by the values of today.

IMO much of this cancel culture of the world today is dangerous. I don’t think it’s healthy for our descendants to judge us badly for things that are perfectly socially acceptable today. Just as I don’t think it’s healthy of us to judge harshly our descendants who lived 200 years ago in an agrarian society.

I don’t think we should be judging what footy players did 50, 20, or even 10 years ago by the expectations or standards of today.
I have some sympathy with that for sure but there are exceptions. There can be an element of recognition rather than condemnation also.

But I don't think this is judging by different standards overall. Rather we have taken away the relative immunity famous people had and replaced it with a need to hold to strict judgement and shrill condemnation. I dont think community standards have changed around violence in the pub, club etc situation unless become more prevalent and worse. Family, domestic and violence to women has improved fortunately.

So while I agree with you in general I still see a disconnect between this policing of our players that goes well beyond normal community standards and a liberal view of past indiscretions.

No argument with any of that but standards have changed in the last 20 years and tolerance in the wider community is drying up.

Jordy is immature - which is fine as far as it goes.

He is a bad drunk in that he can't handle his grog - which is an issue for both him and the club.

He won't give up the grog - which is his choice - but worsens the issue for the club.

His attitude presents as . . . 'those rules don't apply to me' - which are another issue for the club.

I have hopes that Fly can reach him but I'm not holding my breath.

He is pssing his career up against a wall through lack of focus and self-control.

His choice and if he won't change the result is clear as day.

You have NFI. I remember the club losing sponsorship due to Wellingham drink driving and he was a rookie with probably a handful of games under his belt.

Do you really think sponsors are going to pay big money to be associated with a club where its players are known for antisocial behaviour. Defeats the purpose of sponsorship and potential damages its brand.

If the club does not manage these incidents well some sponsor may walk away, and some may not be willing to pay as much.
Hahahah talk about NFI one government sponsorship with the TAC and the very next day we had a new sponsor lined up. They must of been so put off by it all. While this JDG saga has dragged on we signed another major sponsor. Think of the sponsors is the most brain dead line

Without any comment on Jordan that last para is an indictment on our courts and the magistrate concerned - 7 charges and not convicted - that is an absolute and utter travesty of justice.

Just an observation - twice caught failing to display a P plate smacks of an attempt at evasion of his compliance obligations as a P plater and an attempt to dodge notice from the police.

Hahahah talk about NFI one government sponsorship with the TAC and the very next day we had a new sponsor lined up. They must of been so put off by it all. While this JDG saga has dragged on we signed another major sponsor. Think of the sponsors is the most brain dead line
Maybe we should think of the victims of drink driving instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back