Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naturally you cannot expect a rookie coach to be compared with an experienced coach. Rookie coaches have a high risk factor. That is for the future to decide.

At the moment I read mixed messages in posts, where what some are expecting is a free-flowing, intuitive game plan. That contrasts with other things such as Longmuir's defensive credentials and a controlled, short kicking style. Posters are looking for an upgrade in skills, but for now those skills look quite likely to be used for short disposal style possession rather than for flair. Too early to judge, and I don't really care. I am happy to get to see what unfolds and how the 90% complete rebuild progresses.

I like Longmuir's assistant coaching background more than I did his career. He retired a bit early, but regardless he always felt to me like he fell short of his player potential.
I think you're conflating a couple of different things.
What Longmuir has talked about which has given me reason to be optimistic about watching some more entertaining football this year is that he likes to back his players in to play instinctively and to play them in positions where they dominated as juniors so they can remember why they loved playing back when they were playing intuitively.

Lyon always seemed to me to be a great creator of systems but everyone had to bend to the System and play their role no matter if they were a creative playmaker as a junior they can be turned into a disciplined defender or forwards who spent all their time trying to lay tackles instead of thinking about how to get some space and create a goal.

That had the effect in some cases of taking the joy out of the game certainly for me as a fan and it appeared for some of the players.

Of course Longmuir will have a gameplan that is big on defence, you can't win AFL matches without good defence and it may be that we do employ something of a Collingwood, chip it around the boundary at times. The Eagles and other good teams like to keep possession.

The difference, I'm hoping is we will see players backing themselves in to really take the game on at times rather than appearing terrified of making a mistake. Players playing a disciplined, highly organised game style (like the Eagles do) but with room for creativity and flair. The Eagles use their forwards as forwards to kick goals and their indigenous forwards particularly seem to have a creative license to create exciting passages of play.

I hope the members of the posse still bitter about Ross' sacking, and setting the new coach up to fail, can move on for their sake

I hope the members of the posse still bitter about Ross' sacking, and setting the new coach up to fail, can move on for their sake
I am in that list. I am not convinced Justin Longmuir is an upgrade on Ross Lyon.

Saying that if Freo only have 2-3 wins by round 11, the pro Ross Lyon fans will be up and about

I am in that list. I am not convinced Justin Longmuir is an upgrade on Ross Lyon.

Saying that if Freo only have 2-3 wins by round 11, the pro Ross Lyon fans will be up and about

I'm not convinced he is an upgrade either (in fact I suspect he isn't) but I'll sure as hell be giving him more than half a season to prove himself.
And if he does fail I hope the anger of the pro Ross crowd is directed towards the idiots on our board (i.e. Pres Alcock and his mates) that made the decisions, not JLo

Personnel isn't an adequate excuse for us not to execute an attacking consistent gameplan, that's already been established as a precedent.
He hasn’t had a draft that was suitable for his needs. Obviously the club drafted for Ross, now without KPDs or KPFs nr

Its a refresher.. not an upgrade. JLo will do just as well, he has confidence and experience as an assistant. Ross had a similar apprenticeship for Carlton and Sydney. A youthful and inexperienced list needs a fresh perspective rather then Lyon’s limitations. Rather the youth have that license for flair and take the game on. Lyon will just do the same 22, do the hard effort and for the team.

It’ll be interesting. Less then ideal pre season, Hogan and KPDs injuries. He ll just need to back the team he has and work around it.

Better entries and set up for the forwards is the key, Ross didn’t implement that enough IMO.

I think you're conflating a couple of different things.
What Longmuir has talked about which has given me reason to be optimistic about watching some more entertaining football this year is that he likes to back his players in to play instinctively and to play them in positions where they dominated as juniors so they can remember why they loved playing back when they were playing intuitively.

Lyon always seemed to me to be a great creator of systems but everyone had to bend to the System and play their role no matter if they were a creative playmaker as a junior they can be turned into a disciplined defender or forwards who spent all their time trying to lay tackles instead of thinking about how to get some space and create a goal.

That had the effect in some cases of taking the joy out of the game certainly for me as a fan and it appeared for some of the players.

Of course Longmuir will have a gameplan that is big on defence, you can't win AFL matches without good defence and it may be that we do employ something of a Collingwood, chip it around the boundary at times. The Eagles and other good teams like to keep possession.

The difference, I'm hoping is we will see players backing themselves in to really take the game on at times rather than appearing terrified of making a mistake. Players playing a disciplined, highly organised game style (like the Eagles do) but with room for creativity and flair. The Eagles use their forwards as forwards to kick goals and their indigenous forwards particularly seem to have a creative license to create exciting passages of play.
Fyfe, Mundy, Valente, Serong, Blakely, Brayshaw, Cerra, and Conca all look likely best 22 and come to the club as inside mids, and I’d add Acres and Tucker as guys likely to play that role for us. Either some are not going to play the position they played as juniors or Peel is going to be incredible.

The reality of junior football is a bit similar to university. Once you actually get a job, you start again.

Walters, Fyfe and Mundy, along with a legion of other AFL players on every list and in every era have demonstrated that at the higher end, football skills are transferable to different roles and parts of the ground.

Last edited:

JLo just needs some luck with a fit list of players and we face a difficult start, no coach can afford to lose key fwds and backs for large parts of the season as we saw last year.
Give him a couple of seasons before we pass any judgement
Personally I am confident we will be in a good place by then

Better entries and set up for the forwards is the key, Ross didn’t implement that enough IMO.
I see it quite differently. If Longmuir doesn’t have Hogan or Taberner and if Lobb is thrown into the ruck to replace an injured Darcy it will be Doomsday for the season regardless. Having fit and available forwards improves your forward entries*. Having your forward line decimated destroys them.

* not saying we can’t improve this and I’m confident we will, and you’d hope with the emerging players finding their feet this will happen naturally.

IMO if anybody thinks we'll have more than 2-3 wins by round 11 then they're living on hope. The 1st half of, if not the whole season we will be no good. We all need to mentally prepare for that. At the office, start talking us down now. If we get some light at the end of the tunnel, then great. But we shouldn't be expecting great things (consistently) straight away. Agree with all your WC mates that we're no good. Tell them that before they tell you. This is a season of low expectations.

Our forward line personnel still sucks outside of Walters. That is JLos major hurdle to success this year. He definitely has more than one season to prove himself. Still feel we are a while away and in danger of not getting Fyfe to another grannie in his prime. We need some of these so far mediocre high picks to become elite, its exciting though and I'm glad Ross is gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our forward line personnel still sucks outside of Walters. That is JLos major hurdle to success this year. He definitely has more than one season to prove himself. Still feel we are a while away and in danger of not getting Fyfe to another grannie in his prime. We need some of these so far mediocre high picks to become elite, its exciting though and I'm glad Ross is gone.
Just around the corner, we have Henry, Sturt, Frederick and Serong to come in. Switta recovering from whatever his issue is would be great as well

I still think even with the players we're missing, that we'll beat Essendon in Round 1, just got that feeling.

To me it more has the feeling of Round 1, 2016: Supporters being bafflingly up and about but I feel it in my gizzards that it will be a monumental reality check for a rather long, arduous season (possibly 2) ahead. This change will take time I'm afraid and I'm not convinced we've excised enough necrotic tissue to make a full recovery

I'm yet to be convinced that JLo is an improvement on Ross. I am hoping that I'm a pessimist, but I feel like I'm a realist. I don't think Ross was perfect, but I think the list is just not good enough or deep enough for finals. I honestly don't get the love, maybe I wasn't a big enough fan when he kicked the goal after the siren.

Either way, I can't remember a season I felt flatter than I do now. I think it's going to be a really tough year.

Agree with this.

Longmuire will certainly be given every opportunity to succeed by me, I won't be calling for his head at round 12 if we are 2-10 but if there is no improvement over the year then those who orchestrated the change should be looking for ways to make improvements quickly. Injuries were not seen as an excuse at the end of 2019 so I don't see how they can be used this year, the precedent has been set.

We were in the 8 up until round 15 (? I think) but I for one am fully expecting us to be at the bottom of the ladder. Hopefully those who have made the decision have the made the right decision and we rocket up the ladder and are contending for a flag in the next 12-24 months.

Who gives a s**t about how 'entertaining' the 'style' is that we play. I just want to ****in win more games and play in September again, that's entertaining.

edit - more organised and precision entries into the F50 please.
I do. I decided some years ago to enjoy footy as entertainment. Of course I prefer that we win more than we lose and play finals but how we do that is important to me.

I understand for some the results are everything and these are the people who are probably upset Lyon was sacked. They don't care how it gets done, just get it done.

I'm a romantic. I still get a thrill thinking about the heroics of Rioli winning a GF in his first year or the heculean efforts of Tom Boyd with the dogs, especially with the hindsight of his mental difficulties with the game. I miss the way Hill used to run through the wings and drill goals from 50 instead of passing to the pocket. Maybe I'm deluded but I'm hoping to see more footy like that instead of percentage options.

But hey we're all different, I can only express my opinion. That's what we do here and viva le difference.

I do. I decided some years ago to enjoy footy as entertainment. Of course I prefer that we win more than we lose and play finals but how we do that is important to me.

I understand for some the results are everything and these are the people who are probably upset Lyon was sacked. They don't care how it gets done, just get it done.

I'm a romantic. I still get a thrill thinking about the heroics of Rioli winning a GF in his first year or the heculean efforts of Tom Boyd with the dogs, especially with the hindsight of his mental difficulties with the game. I miss the way Hill used to run through the wings and drill goals from 50 instead of passing to the pocket. Maybe I'm deluded but I'm hoping to see more footy like that instead of percentage options.

But hey we're all different, I can only express my opinion. That's what we do here and viva le difference.
Well you might like hearing this.

So you enjoyed Longmuirs goal after the siren more than being disappointed that it meant nothing in the end when we gave up at half time a week later and missed the finals?

Who gives a s**t about how 'entertaining' the 'style' is that we play. I just want to ****in win more games and play in September again, that's entertaining.

edit - more organised and precision entries into the F50 please.
Bingo.

Would you happy being an attacking side finishing in the bottom 6 or a defensive and dour side and finish in the top 6?

I know which one I would love to be.

I wont deny the depth isnt that strong at the moment.

We have done a rebuild and spent 4 years playing no finals, we got a bunch of players in their 3rd and 4th years, its time to make a climb back to finals contention.

I am realistic.... Freo can be a medium scoring side and still win games.

When I say medium scoring side, I mean kick 12-14 goals a game and win games.

Richmond won last years flag averaging only 86 points in attack and conceding only 73 points a game.

I heavily Disagree with this bit. Freo has a half decent forward line, even without hogan.

The tall forward stocks consist of Lobb, Tarberner, McCarthy, Cox and Dixon.

the Smalls are walters, Matera and Switkowski.

You can throw coyler, Henry, Giro and Crowden as guys that can play on a wing or on a forward flank too.

A team that has Lobb at FF, Matera and Walters as Forward pockets, Tarberner and McCarthy both as rotating CHF or forward flankers as 2nd and 3rd talls and a kid on a forward flank is going to be very dangerous forward line.

If All of Lobb, Tabs, McCarthy, Walters and Matera all play 20 games each, I will be disappointed that all 5 of them dont kick 30 goals each this season.

I don't know who the members of this posse are... wish I did so I could look out for them.

I have moved on but do think that Alcock saying a return to finals was a must has put pressure on this season to be a big season. Like ross or not we increased wins each of the last three seasons and he would have been expected to increase wins with the same squad again this year.

If Ross was expected to increase wins how many wins should we expect from JLo? Given an increase of wins would be 11 plus and getting used to a new game plan surely we should still expect 8-9 wins minimum?

The Board has made it clear that injuries are not an excuse - so we can't use them as one. There should be a clear expectation for 8-9 wins.

If Ross was here I would expect 11-13 wins.

Also - how does a fan set up a coach to fail?

I am excited to have JL here - I think he has done a good traineeship at some strong clubs and seen them have success. As far as resumes go, he is very strong. I hope he takes us to where our expectations would have been if Ross was here. If not I don't think he will be under pressure but the board should be.

So you enjoyed Longmuirs goal after the siren more than being disappointed that it meant nothing in the end when we gave up at half time a week later and missed the finals?
The one has nothing to do with the other. Its a false dichotomy you're trying to create.

But yes, goal is certainly what I remember from that year. The emotion I felt when he kicked it, the joy. Those moments are why I follow football.
Of course it means something when we win or lose. There couldn't be any joy from the great moments without the pain of loss.

To me it more has the feeling of Round 1, 2016: Supporters being bafflingly up and about but I feel it in my gizzards that it will be a monumental reality check for a rather long, arduous season (possibly 2) ahead. This change will take time I'm afraid and I'm not convinced we've excised enough necrotic tissue to make a full recovery
Yeah I can understand why fans have this perception. I'm just of the belief that even with these injuries our depth players can step up. Like with Cox filling in for Hamling, if Cox truly wants to make an impact for us and cares about his position at the club, he will play out of his skin like Hamling does. He's got the skill set and we've all seen it, but it's on him to care enough to apply that skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back