Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it may prove informative that Bell, Carr and Longmuir were all part of the 2006 “rebellion” - the group of senior players who told Connolly he was overthinking it, the plans were needlessly complex and that he should let the players play more of their natural game.

I can’t remember how many we won in a row after that but I do remember having a hilariously good time at the footy.

When is the last time you had a genuinely good time at the footy?
Good post. Freo vs West Coast where the ball was kicked into the middle of the ground and Jeff Framer just thumped it forward as far as anyone could kick it and we kicked a goal. I think it was rnd 21 2006. Best ball movement I've ever seen Freo have. Still get goosebumps. Shattered we couldn't get past Sydney and make it a Derby Granny.
I've been going back through the posts to try and find a discussion on what people think our new game style looks like. Lots of positive comments about better ball movement and skills but nothing specific. Please point me in the right direction if I've missed it.
Sometimes it's easy. Lyon and Longmire are clearly disciples of Roos. Clarkson almost has the 12 apostles coaching other teams.
Sometimes it's hard to predict. Buckley served under Malthouse yet immediately tried to tweak the game plan as soon as he took over.
Is JLo bringing the Collingwood game plan with him or will he be his own coach? Or will his assistants have a bigger influence? Caracella made Richmond a much better team as an assistant.
Have the track watchers seen anything to give us some hints? I posted in another thread about diagonal ball movement and you always see Hawthorn practising this.

Was Lyon a new coach when he got to Freo? Is Aish a delisted journeyman picked up for nothing in the PSD?

I know you're trying your best but it's not really a good comparison

I’d actually be very happy if Aish is an effective in his role as Dawson was tbh.

For all the carp Dawson copped he was basically able to make two players in the field completely irrelevant - one of the oppositions best forwards and himself. You’d take that all day long 6-7 years ago but the game has moved on.

Good post. Freo vs West Coast where the ball was kicked into the middle of the ground and Jeff Framer just thumped it forward as far as anyone could kick it and we kicked a goal. I think it was rnd 21 2006. Best ball movement I've ever seen Freo have. Still get goosebumps. Shattered we couldn't get past Sydney and make it a Derby Granny.
I've been going back through the posts to try and find a discussion on what people think our new game style looks like. Lots of positive comments about better ball movement and skills but nothing specific. Please point me in the right direction if I've missed it.
Sometimes it's easy. Lyon and Longmire are clearly disciples of Roos. Clarkson almost has the 12 apostles coaching other teams.
Sometimes it's hard to predict. Buckley served under Malthouse yet immediately tried to tweak the game plan as soon as he took over.
Is JLo bringing the Collingwood game plan with him or will he be his own coach? Or will his assistants have a bigger influence? Caracella made Richmond a much better team as an assistant.
Have the track watchers seen anything to give us some hints? I posted in another thread about diagonal ball movement and you always see Hawthorn practising this.
I don't want to get into a s**t fight about this, so this is my one and only post about my opinion.
Think WCE, balls being chipped around and then a quick break forward.
Even during Monday's scratch match there was times every player was in one half of the ground. 20200203_103943.jpg
This was a photo I sent my son from Monday's match.

The one big difference in my humble opinion is that most drills have players loose on outside.
Under RTB this player would have been behind the play.
Screenshot_20200204-181207_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200204-181037_Photo Editor.jpg
Some good teams will us kills until we get the short kick game right.
But if we get it spot on happy days.

Last edited:

I don't want to get into a s**t fight about this, so this is my one and only post about my opinion.
Even during Monday's scratch match there was times every player was in one half of the ground.View attachment 817525

The one big difference in my humble opinion is that most drills have players loose on outside.
View attachment 817542
View attachment 817544

From what I've seen Freo have a long way to go even under token pressure. I do however think it'll improve as the team matures

Even during Monday's scratch match there was times every player was in one half of the ground.View attachment 817525

View attachment 817542
View attachment 817544
You edit a photo then take a screenshot rather than save the edited photo? :huh:

Freo 2006
Loss, Win, Win, Loss, Win, Win, Loss, Win, Loss, Win, Loss, Loss, Loss.... then nine wins in a row.

15 Wins, 3rd on the ladder
Yeah It was a crazy time that 2nd half of the season.

Farmer kicked 55 goals that season, 34 of them came in that 9 game winning streak. Pavlich lead Freos goal kicking with 61 goals.

We did play 6 of the last 9 games at home, hence we belted the eagles later in the season in the "away" derby.

My eagles supporting mate brought up this piss weak excuse after Freo belted them by 57 points saying the travel to the Gabba 6 days prior stuffed their team up with some eagles players vomiting the moment the eagles players got off the plane

We still don't know what Freo are gonna go after the pre season games are done. Even then, I won't be convinced.

It will probably take a solid away win to really win most people over to convince a lot of people longmuir is taking us to the right direction.

Saying that, it took that north game at docklands late in 2012 to be convinced that we were going to make finals.

We still don't know what Freo are gonna go after the pre season games are done. Even then, I won't be convinced.

It will probably take a solid away win to really win most people over to convince a lot of people longmuir is taking us to the right direction.

Saying that, it took that north game at docklands late in 2012 to be convinced that we were going to make finals.
We'll most likely be pretty uncompetitive for the 1st half of the year as players adjust. Really only looking for glimpses of the gameplan, maybe some lucky wins, and some good invidual performances from those pushing into the team/ new positions.

We'll most likely be pretty uncompetitive for the 1st half of the year as players adjust. Really only looking for glimpses of the gameplan, maybe some lucky wins, and some good invidual performances from those pushing into the team/ new positions.
that might be the case but looking at freos coaching history. The average life span of a permanent freo coach here is 5 years.

From neesham to drum to Connolly to Harvey to Lyon. The average span is 5 years. And we had 5 coaches in 25 years.

My prediction is Longmuir will last 4-6 years. Well..... 5 and a half to be exact

Last edited:
that might be the case but looking at freos coaching history. The average life span of a permanent freo coach here is 5 years.

From neesham to drum to collin to Connolly to Harvey to Lyon. The average span is 5 years. And we had 5 coaches in 25 years.

My prediction is Longmuir will last 4-6 years. Well..... 5 and a half to be exact
What’s the median?

If you've only had five coaches in 25 years, then median and mode won't tell you much. Well, mean won't either really, but if you're going to predict how long a coach lasts at a club by the tenure length of their predecessors, it's more or less asking how long a piece of string is anyway.

If you've only had five coaches in 25 years, then median and mode won't tell you much. Well, mean won't either really, but if you're going to predict how long a coach lasts at a club by the tenure length of their predecessors, it's more or less asking how long a piece of string is anyway.

Double the length from the middle to the end. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be a real test for JLo at the start of the season.
No Pearce, Wilson, Hamling. Don’t think we ll see his real gameplan in effect the first few months.
Ultra defensive and tighten the leakage of goals will be a possibility. He has done it before with Collingwood’s injury run, however we don’t have the luxury of a Moore or Howe. Watson, O Reilly development will be interesting

No Pearce, Wilson, Hamling. Don’t think we ll see his real gameplan in effect the first few months.
Ultra defensive and tighten the leakage of goals will be a possibility. He has done it before with Collingwood’s injury run, however we don’t have the luxury of a Moore or Howe. Watson, O Reilly development will be interesting

Freo don't have Collingwood's depth

Tobe Watson come on down! I rate this kid.
Logue, Ryan, Cox, Hughes
Young, Watson/Pina/Duman/O'Reilly/Carter

Really gives one of the young ones a chance to shine. We will hopefully uncover a couple who can play at the level.
Rate Watson too. He had the fitness for Peel, have good hands.
2020 is going to be a baptism of fire for the youth anyway. Looking forward to many debuts and potentially rising star nominations.
Carter can still grow, Pina has been training well, Young as half back. Positive for the youth.
However for Fyfe, that’s tough. He’s dominating the league yet may have to captain the club through another transition season and sacrifice personal accomplishments.

Didn't we change to JL to avoid that? I thought we wanted attacking footy.

Personnel isn't an adequate excuse for us not to execute an attacking consistent gameplan, that's already been established as a precedent.

Personnel isn't an adequate excuse for us not to execute an attacking consistent gameplan, that's already been established as a precedent.
Lyon was disposed of with the injury list significantly worse off, and this year there is another preseason under the belt of our next wave, so yes, you are right. But it’d be harsh to judge a new coach until they’ve established their blueprint.

Lyon was disposed of with the injury list significantly worse off, and this year there is another preseason under the belt of our next wave, so yes, you are right. But it’d be harsh to judge a new coach until they’ve established their blueprint.

I'm yet to be convinced that JLo is an improvement on Ross. I am hoping that I'm a pessimist, but I feel like I'm a realist. I don't think Ross was perfect, but I think the list is just not good enough or deep enough for finals. I honestly don't get the love, maybe I wasn't a big enough fan when he kicked the goal after the siren.

Either way, I can't remember a season I felt flatter than I do now. I think it's going to be a really tough year.

I'm yet to be convinced that JLo is an improvement on Ross. I am hoping that I'm a pessimist, but I feel like I'm a realist. I don't think Ross was perfect, but I think the list is just not good enough or deep enough for finals. I honestly don't get the love, maybe I wasn't a big enough fan when he kicked the goal after the siren.

Either way, I can't remember a season I felt flatter than I do now. I think it's going to be a really tough year.
Naturally you cannot expect a rookie coach to be compared with an experienced coach. Rookie coaches have a high risk factor. That is for the future to decide.

At the moment I read mixed messages in posts, where what some are expecting is a free-flowing, intuitive game plan. That contrasts with other things such as Longmuir's defensive credentials and a controlled, short kicking style. Posters are looking for an upgrade in skills, but for now those skills look quite likely to be used for short disposal style possession rather than for flair. Too early to judge, and I don't really care. I am happy to get to see what unfolds and how the 90% complete rebuild progresses.

I like Longmuir's assistant coaching background more than I did his career. He retired a bit early, but regardless he always felt to me like he fell short of his player potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back