Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holistic coaching: "It is a style that considers aspects beyond the athlete's physical and mental states such as their emotional and spiritual states. In the holistic style, the coach creates a relationship with every individual athlete based on interpersonal communication and genuine care."

Justin Longmuir = Mr Miyagi :)
First lesson To Freo players is the Paint defence

Nope. Belichick didn't even play NFL. My guess is that at some point sport will mature to the point whereby people finally realise playing and coaching are two completely separate disciplines. Being a good player does not make you a good coach - most of the best players make rubbish coaches.
The only two great player/great coaches I can think of in the relatively "modern" era are Norm Smith and Dick Reynolds.

And if it has already been mentioned I put my hands up in abject apology, but Vince Lombardi was a very limited footballer as were Alex Ferguson and Matt Busby.

First lesson To Freo players is the Paint defence
Then there's the puke offense in Semi Pro that the players had to practice until they puked!

Jackie Moon got special coaching in the offense from the player coach, (who by the way was traded to them for a washing machine).

The only two great player/great coaches I can think of in the relatively "modern" era are Norm Smith and Dick Reynolds.

And if it has already been mentioned I put my hands up in abject apology, but Vince Lombardi was a very limited footballer as were Alex Ferguson and Matt Busby.
Malcolm Blight and Leigh Matthews (!!) not come to mind?

Justin Longmuir wasn't an iron man of the AFL, but I certainly do not remember him as a soft player.
Yeah he wasn't much like Iron Man. He was more like the stretchy guy from fantastic 4

So good to read this from someone else. I was my clubs top grade women’s hockey coach this year (have coached in high performance for 4 years) and never played top grade, this idea is my main motivation and driving force. Hockey in WA is slowly turning and giving opportunities to non elite level players but still has a lot of room to grow.

Ex elite high level playing experience and anecdotal learning is great, but isn’t the only way to be a good coach - nor is it a necessity IMO.
From a basketball perspective, coaches can be non players or have played at a lower level or have been a role player off the bench.

Basketball culture accepts any coach as long they are good enough.

AFL culture tends to be light years behind. Players and the footy public don’t accept coaches who haven’t played AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really do hope the passion comes back though, was one of the great things about being a Freo supporter in the 00's
i've not been going to games for very long due to living interstate for a while and i absolutely love going now and the crowd is incredible... however... it is nothing like what you see in videos from the past, the J-Lo after the siren kick game gives me goosebumbs every time i see it because of how hyped and involved the crowd is! and the pictures you see of everyone throwing their arms up with their blow up anchors in hand are amazing! would love it if we could get it back to that!

Thinking about that Jlo goal, it really annoys me how the new stadium has the raised seating above the ground meaning players can't run into the crowd like that anymore.
I'd hate for a player to forget and run face first into the concrete

Crowds were probably at their peak passionate wise from 03-07.

the bandwagon year of 2013 doesn’t count imo. The amount of casual eagle supporters who jumped ship for those couple of years..

Loudest crowd ive ever been to was against the Dees at Subi 2006

Went to get some beers at half time, got held up ( as you do at subi the shithole ) by thye time i got back to y seat we were about 3 goals down

Like WTF what happened ?

After that it was a ding dong affair and we prevailed by about 3 or 4 goals

The noise coming from the crowd during the FREEEO chant was pure guttural, in unison with 42,000 fans

Residents in Subi reckon it was the loudest noise they ever heard

The rest of the night was a blur for some reason :beermug:

Loudest crowd ive ever been to was against the Dees at Subi 2006

Went to get some beers at half time, got held up ( as you do at subi the s**thole ) by thye time i got back to y seat we were about 3 goals down

Like WTF what happened ?

After that it was a ding dong affair and we prevailed by about 3 or 4 goals

The noise coming from the crowd during the FREEEO chant was pure guttural, in unison with 42,000 fans

Residents in Subi reckon it was the loudest noise they ever heard

The rest of the night was a blur for some reason :beermug:
I’m pretty sure that was one of the games we come up from Busso for. It was crazy.

Thinking about that Jlo goal, it really annoys me how the new stadium has the raised seating above the ground meaning players can't run into the crowd like that anymore.
The new stadium is a ripper but raising the seating above the playing surface detracts enormously from the atmosphere. It’s just not the same.

I really do hope the passion comes back though, was one of the great things about being a Freo supporter in the 00's
We have to remember it's not just for the players to increase our passion, it is for the crowd to increase the players passion equally. Personally I'm trying to keep square with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back