Coach Kenny Hinkley - should he stay or should he go (or will he be here until the end of time)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Beats me why they (PAFC board) gave him an extension last time around given his lack of finals success.

I don't think Port have been a well run club at level for a long time, and I feel gutted for their fans, I know from the last 20 years of supporting Carlton
David Koch is a really poor choice for President.

Lol, except most of them. Very few clubs have a flag in the last ten years.

Actually no Hinkley is an all time leader for seasons coached without a flag. Most of those clubs generally change it up. 'Lol' better redo that reading comprehension class.

The thing is there aren't many experienced coaches running around. Hinkley actually has a good reputation as a development coach, and that is exactly what North need.

Thinking about flags is ridiculous, North are so far off its not funny. You gotta learn to walk before you run, and Ken has experience at some very well run clubs.

Really? What sort of logic is this? Appointing someone as a stopgap is failing before you've even started - I'll never accept that as a good management.

I'm not saying our next coach needs to get the list ready to win a flag in 3 years but it should be building towards a flag. Appointing Hinkley would be saying hey boys we're a long way off so we will build a plan that won't ever win a flag but it'll buy us 7 years until our next rebuild once the current crop of high picks is wasted.

Noble had some experience at well run clubs, as did Scott.

Actually no Hinkley is an all time leader for seasons coached without a flag. Most of those clubs generally change it up. 'Lol' better redo that reading comprehension class.

Really? What sort of logic is this? Appointing someone as a stopgap is failing before you've even started - I'll never accept that as a good management.

I'm not saying our next coach needs to get the list ready to win a flag in 3 years but it should be building towards a flag. Appointing Hinkley would be saying hey boys we're a long way off so we will build a plan that won't ever win a flag but it'll buy us 7 years until our next rebuild once the current crop of high picks is wasted.

What the actual * are you talking about? I can name about 8 coaches and clubs that haven't got a flag. North has no coach in that category because they haven't kept a coach longer than a rebuild.

Putting it all on the coach is *ed, by the way. But sure, Malthouse is available.

You’re completely wrong.

Name a coach who has kept his job for 10 years without making a gf?
Well, it's because the other clubs have been basket cases. Port have actually made finals in that time.

But yeah, sure - reckon Port would have done better than Brisbane with Voss? Carlton with Malthouse? Adelaide with Pike?

Seriously, I get he should move on but your list has been average and your expectations too high.

Teams who have made a GF in the last 10 years:
Geelong
Richmond
Melbourne
Bulldogs
Adelaide
GWS
West Coast
Hawthorn
Sydney
Collingwood
Fremantle

Teams that haven't:
Port
North
Carlton
Essendon
Gold Coast
Brisbane
St Kilda

The above have basically been rubbish for a decade except Brisbane and Port. Brisbane are at least contending again this year, but if they bomb out again there is every chance Fagan gets sacked before Hinkley.

How does a club lose 2 home prelims in a row, the second by a record margin and avoid scrutiny?

How does the same incompetent buffoon of a coach come back the next year, in year TEN and serve up an utter s**t sandwich and still have a job?
GF a flag these days at Port?

No way is appointing a coach just to get you back to a solid baseline bad management. You appoint someone capable to do a job and they do it. Then reassess after that if they are still the right man for the job. In 3 years time if they best you've got to is 11-11 and not in finals guess what, that's actually a great result. That's a platform for a fresh coach to get success with.

Noble was experienced in running a football department but obvious had huge issues with coaching, which is a completely different skill set. Hinkley would come in with a functional game plan and knowing how to deal with players. You wouldn't have to hand over list management to him, Ken's shown at Port he's dealt with players leaving and new players coming in. His teams might be a bit flaky but his player development is excellent and I don't think you can look at guys like Wines, Jonas, Boak and plenty of others and say they don't play the right way. He's 55 and probably isn't going to coach forever, 3-5 years would only be to the start of North's window and that's if everything goes right from here. And with North's recent history you can't really say an unproven new coach is going to have everything go right.

If Clarkson isn't available then Hinkley would be a great hire for North.

Whatever you can say about Port, they're not soft. We front up every week, and if a side beats us, they've generally earned it.
Did you miss the prelim last year? You played a team that had travelled all over Australia, lost their key forward, weren’t allowed to train when they landed, on your home ground with a weeks rest and conceded the game in less than ten minutes.

That was the softest and frankly most pathetic finals display any team has put up since 2007.

It really doesn’t get any softer and you backed up that humiliating exit by losing the first five games of the next season.

Amazing.

Last edited:
Did you miss the prelim last year? You played a team that had travelled all over Australia, lost their key forward, weren’t allowed to train when they landed, on your home ground with a weeks rest and conceeded the game in less than ten minutes.

That was the softest and frankly most pathetic finals display any team has put up since 2007.

It really doesn’t get any softer than that and you backed up that humiliating exit by losing the first five games of the next season.

Amazing.

I remember when you weren't an insufferable c8nt. Those were good times. You latched onto us as your 2nd team needing to feel relevant, I mean it must have sucked supporting such a s**t club so you need someone else who actually regularly won games. You'd really want to make the most of your time at the top. Players already looking to be poached, you were doing the May victory laps that Richmond were doing, but they actually backed it up. Your 1 flag in 60 years shittruck club doesn't impress anyone. Tanking for picks for years to be good for one year doesn't impress anyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, it's because the other clubs have been basket cases. Port have actually made finals in that time.

But yeah, sure - reckon Port would have done better than Brisbane with Voss? Carlton with Malthouse? Adelaide with Pike?

Seriously, I get he should move on but your list has been average and your expectations too high.
Jesus it’s not rocket science.

The only coach to reach 10 years without making a gf.

You don’t even know what you’re arguing against as you seem to be flopping around like a fish out of water.

Tanking for picks for years to be good for one year doesn't impress anyone.
Well at least we had a reason for being at the bottom of the ladder, what was Port’s excuse for missing finals five times since the prelim against the Hawks?

I can’t believe you think Port haven’t been soft in those five years. You told me you were smart, why did you lie to me?

da7af513f8.png

Well at least we had a reason for being at the bottom of the ladder, what was Port’s excuse for missing finals five times since the prelim against the Hawks?

I can’t believe you think Port haven’t been soft in those five years. You told me you were smart, why did you lie to me?

Clearly we should have tanked, got Hinkley suspended, get the AFL to pay a premiership coach to coach us, get a bunch of freebies, then win 1 flag for 60 years and take a year long victory lap telling everyone we're the greatest team that ever lived.

Clearly we should have tanked, got Hinkley suspended, get the AFL to pay a premiership coach to coach us, get a bunch of freebies, then win 1 flag for 60 years and take a year long victory lap telling everyone we're the greatest team that ever lived.
Actually it's two flags in the last 60 years, which is more than Port Adelaide have in their history btw.

Re: tanking, that was so long ago now the coach that was in charge at the time has been dead for 10 years and the last priority pick we got retired years ago (as a Port Adelaide player, on less).

I don't think Port need to tank personally- I think your list is pretty good. Certainly better than finishing two or three spots out of the eight!

Hinkley seems a likeable enough guy… unlike gambling addict Simon Goodwin. For instance.

I remember when you weren't an insufferable c8nt. Those were good times. You latched onto us as your 2nd team needing to feel relevant, I mean it must have sucked supporting such a s**t club so you need someone else who actually regularly won games. You'd really want to make the most of your time at the top. Players already looking to be poached, you were doing the May victory laps that Richmond were doing, but they actually backed it up. Your 1 flag in 60 years shittruck club doesn't impress anyone. Tanking for picks for years to be good for one year doesn't impress anyone.
Nice Melt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back