Draft Watcher Knightmare 2020 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knightmare
Might as well ask you a question as well if you don't mind?
Henry Walsh, where do you see him going in the draft pecking order?

Recruiters all seem to want him to be good and want to watch him. He's one I found last year was getting over-hyped off of 1-2 glimpses of 'something' but nothing for the rest of games.

What I would have liked to have seen with Walsh this year is a strong rate of improvement and increased frequency of those glimpses to feel more comfortable with him or to include him on my personal draft board.

He should get drafted. Whether it's from the name, or whether clubs see his upside for growth as being there. There was enough interest last year in him. Second or third round would be where clubs would start to give him a thought and is where based on talk last year his probable range would be. Ultimately probably depends on if clubs want to take a chance on a project ruck and how early they're willing to take one.

Recruiters all seem to want him to be good and want to watch him. He's one I found last year was getting over-hyped off of 1-2 glimpses of 'something' but nothing for the rest of games.

What I would have liked to have seen with Walsh this year is a strong rate of improvement and increased frequency of those glimpses to feel more comfortable with him or to include him on my personal draft board.

He should get drafted. Whether it's from the name, or whether clubs see his upside for growth as being there. There was enough interest last year in him. Second or third round would be where clubs would start to give him a thought and is where based on talk last year his probable range would be. Ultimately probably depends on if clubs want to take a chance on a project ruck and how early they're willing to take one.
Done well, much appreciated :thumbsu:.
The reason im asking is i just want Geelong to recruit a young ruck from the Under 18s level, but I don't think we have recruited a ruck in that category since West, Blake, Mumford...
Any young rucks are also a chance of a look at?

The reason im asking is i just want Geelong to recruit a young ruck from the Under 18s level, but I don't think we have recruited a ruck in that category since West, Blake, Mumford...

Geelong LOVE local talent so I wouldn't put them past taking Walsh.

Nikolas Cox and Zach Reid are two others who if there in the second round I expect would receive strong consideration for clubs needing a ruckman. I've seen a few fairly wild projections with both of them, but I would have wanted to have seen a high rate of improvement from both of them this year before considering them first round choices. Of those Cox is the less likely to be a ruck as more likely a KPP, but he's still 199/200cm.

Mumford was a mature age player from our VFL side. I heard that SDK was recruited last year with the ruck in mind..

WA ruck/forward Shannon Neale had 20 disposals and 2 goals today. One to keep an eye on as he has some impressive athleticism aswell.

WA ruck/forward Shannon Neale had 20 disposals and 2 goals today. One to keep an eye on as he has some impressive athleticism aswell.

Certainly one to watch but I would have Michael Mallard a fair way ahead of him and Mallard is very athletic himself.
I reckon if the Championships were held then Mallard and Kalin Lane 204 cm 93 kg ( Claremont ) would have been the two WA rucks.

Four Colts games have been played in the WAFL: here are the two players stats.

Neal. South FREMANTLE. 201cm 86 kg

Round 4. 20 D 3 M 14 HO G 2
Round 3. 9 D 9 M 20 HO G 0
Round 2. 10 D 1 M 4 HO G 0 ( was up against Mallard this game )
Round 1. 15 D 7 M 15 HO G 1

Mallard. West PERTH. 198 cm 80 kg

Round 4. 22 D 5 M 36 HO G 1
Round 3. 15 D 2 M 32 HO G 0
Round 2. 18 D 5 M 30 HO G 0
Round 1. 20 D 5 M 33 HO G 0

Certainly one to watch but I would have Michael Mallard a fair way ahead of him and Mallard is very athletic himself.
I reckon if the Championships were held then Mallard and Kalin Lane 204 cm 93 kg ( Claremont ) would have been the two WA rucks.

One was named in the academy and played in the all-stars game, the other did neither so I’d say that tells a lot in how the scouts see them.

Stats certainly won’t work in Neales favour as he is mainly playing as a forward so far this year in a struggling side when Mallard is the main ruck in the top side so far.

Those measurements for Mallard aren’t correct either he is 200cm and 98kg now. His athleticism from his testing is only ok, Neale is definitely the better athlete.

I haven’t got to watch either one yet this year but hoping the stream game is the West Perth one.

One was named in the academy and played in the all-stars game, the other did neither so I’d say that tells a lot in how the scouts see them.

Stats certainly won’t work in Neales favour as he is mainly playing as a forward so far this year in a struggling side when Mallard is the main ruck in the top side so far.

Those measurements for Mallard aren’t correct either he is 200cm and 98kg now. His athleticism from his testing is only ok, Neale is definitely the better athlete.

I haven’t got to watch either one yet this year but hoping the stream game is the West Perth one.

Fair enough.
I had heard that Mallard had grown , but I didn't know the exacts.

But by gee Mallard has been very impressive in the Colts this year, he has caught the attention of several astute Colts watchers, who's opinions I rate.
Will be a good test for him in round 8 when he and Lane go head to head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough.
I had heard that Mallard had grown , but I didn't know the exacts.

But by gee Mallard has been very impressive in the Colts this year, he has caught the attention of several astute Colts watchers, who's opinions I rate.
Will be a good test for him in round 8 when he and Lane go head to head.
Hard not to gather attention when you keep getting so much of the ball as a ruck especially at his size is sure his not hard to miss haha

the young Perth ruck looked good although a bit undersized so look forward to seeing that matchup if it’s the stream game next week.

It might be unfair to judge on TSL games, but im going cold on Tassie's draft prospects this year :( Callow is the one that is doing best from the 18 year olds. Walker and Collins haven't been super impressive. Collins seems to be clanging less though, but he is being asked to play defensive roles on guys much bigger than him.

Overages Jake Steele, Hamish Allen and Dakin have been having decent seasons... Kieran Lovell could definitely play at AFL level, but don't know if any team will give him a chance again.

Last edited:
It might be unfair to judge on TSL games, but im going cold on Tassie's draft prospects this year :( Callow is the one that is doing best from the 18 year olds. Walker and Collins haven't been super impressive. Collins seems to be clanging less though, but he is being asked to play defensive roles on guys much bigger than him.

Overages Jake Steele, Hamish Allen and Dakin have been having decent seasons... Kieran Lovell could definitely play at AFL level, but don't know if any team will give him a chance again.
Callow has been very good so far. Davis took a bit to get back into things but is back to put out very good performances

Callow has been very good so far. Davis took a bit to get back into things but is back to put out very good performances
Callow looks like the one that is stepping up in his draft year. Tassie has an issue developing players :sob: So many promising 16-17 years olds that don't take the next step in their draft years. I feel bad judging based on only a few games this year but if I had to guess where they go at this stage:

Callow - 15-35 - Looking good, making the kind of impact at TSL level that you would expect. I am surprised only Knightmare has him going high, the AFL draft guys don't seem to rate him in the top 30 prospects this year.
Davis - 25-rookie - havent seen many of his games this year but he doesn't look ready to make an immediate impact at AFL level.
Collins - 35-Rookie - Looks a bit cleaner this year, but playing a lockdown role for NH against bigger bodies makes his development hard to judge.
Walker - 50/50 chance to be drafted, drifts in and out of games, good skills but doesn't look as comfortable against bigger bodies in the TSL as he did in the NAB league.

Wildcards: Jake Steele, Hamish Allen, Jared Dakin

Callow looks like the one that is stepping up in his draft year. Tassie has an issue developing players :sob: So many promising 16-17 years olds that don't take the next step in their draft years. I feel bad judging based on only a few games this year but if I had to guess where they go at this stage:

Callow - 15-35 - Looking good, making the kind of impact at TSL level that you would expect. I am surprised only Knightmare has him going high, the AFL draft guys don't seem to rate him in the top 30 prospects this year.
Davis - 25-rookie - havent seen many of his games this year but he doesn't look ready to make an immediate impact at AFL level.
Collins - 35-Rookie - Looks a bit cleaner this year, but playing a lockdown role for NH against bigger bodies makes his development hard to judge.
Walker - 50/50 chance to be drafted, drifts in and out of games, good skills but doesn't look as comfortable against bigger bodies in the TSL as he did in the NAB league.

Where people rate players and where they expect them to go is two different things. I have Callow high as well but would be surprised if he gets selected Top 20. Watch more Davis, clearance work is up there with the best this year, especially impressive considering he doesn't have size on his side.
I'd throw Menzie in there as a wild card, has been impacting the scoreboard and putting more tackle pressure on his opponents this year, might be looked at late

I’m not sure if callow makes it as a forward at AFL level, I see similarities with Cale hooker who is not overly athletic. Could see a club settling him down as a defender.
Lack of athleticism is my only real concern for him, certainly reads the game well enough to make it as a defender but we've seen Hooker have some good stints up forward. Honestly not sure if he'll truly settle at one end, could get flipped around based on opponent

I'm not convinced Callow features inside the first or second round. I just view him on output in 2019 as one of the best 20 prospects.

Collins I think is the clear number 2 prospect and I have him going first round at this stage, albeit more a 10-20 prospect. If I'm to guess today, I'd imagine he'd be the first Tasmanian picked with clubs to see Callow as undersized and unathletic and Davis vanilla with Collins likely to be viewed as the more likely to fill a role.

Davis I have getting picked. He's a second round onwards pick, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go late in the draft rather than early. He's on my draft board and one on performance last year thoroughly deserves to be picked.

Walker I agree on and have in the same boat. I lean towards him getting picked without being someone I'd select.

Collins I think is the clear number 2 prospect and I have him going first round at this stage, albeit more a 10-20 prospect. If I'm to guess today, I'd imagine he'd be the first Tasmanian picked with clubs to see Callow as undersized and unathletic and Davis vanilla with Collins likely to be viewed as the more likely to fill a role.
I hope you're right, I would have agreed early last season, now im not so sure. Have you heard any rumours about interest in Jake Steele? Think he is totally worth a rookie spot. Good athlete and is starting to play some good football too, think he is a fairly recent AFL convert.

I hope you're right, I would have agreed early last season, now im not so sure. Have you heard any rumours about interest in Jake Steele? Think he is totally worth a rookie spot. Good athlete and is starting to play some good football too, think he is a fairly recent AFL convert.

Steele didn't stand out last year, but of course this is a new year and he may be better this year, and this year's play is what he would be judged off of.

Last year he wasn't intercepting enough and was poor by foot so he'd have to be quite a lot better to contend to make my own draft board.

Unsure on the views of recruiters on Steele and if he is on any draft boards.

Steele didn't stand out last year, but of course this is a new year and he may be better this year, and this year's play is what he would be judged off of.

Last year he wasn't intercepting enough and was poor by foot so he'd have to be quite a lot better to contend to make my own draft board.

Unsure on the views of recruiters on Steele and if he is on any draft boards.
I think he converted from basketball at age 17, so he was really raw for the devils but was always pretty decent in the air, doing some nice things for NH playing more forward this year. He is more of a project player, but athletically he is pretty good for his size. I think he is a very outside chance but liked his games this year.

Is 198cm tall enough at AFL level? I guess it depend on his spring.. It seems Neale kicks more goals but MM has more HO & D... ..more time on ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back