Analysis Koch: Port Adelaide to review season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

What does a stronger pre-season training program mean? Under Burgess's 'we don't know the limits of an athlete's endurance' philosophy we have players dropping off the perch like budgies in Chernobyl. So I hope a stronger pre-season has nothing to do with even more running.

How about we determine the limits of running capacity needed for AFL football and build our pre-season around that? Then we can factor in a weight training program that ensures we have bigger stronger players in the pre-season.
Crows tried to push the limit last off season and we know how they fared.
Will be interesting to see what changes but I am glad we will going away on a camp.
I thought PAFC should have done that last off season to help gel the group with such a large turnover of the playing group and I stated as such back then.

Our pre-season programs will only change slightly under the current fitness regime. We simply replaced Australian Burgess with Northern Irish Burgess. One thing is for sure, they strongly believe they have one of the best programs in the AFL. I'm inclined to agree that we have a good program from purely an injury management perspective but we ******* suck at being able to get our best players on the field for high TOG, midfield rotations and generally managing players on game day. I'm also strongly unconvinced that we tailor the right programs for the positions our players play.

The TOG numbers for our engine roomers in the second Showdown were utterly disastrous, whether by accident or design.

Does s**t like that fly at Hawthorn or Sydney?

So second rate.

The TOG numbers for our engine roomers in the second Showdown were utterly disastrous, whether by accident or design.

Does s**t like that fly at Hawthorn or Sydney?

So second rate.

My belief is they are trying to be too smart and lose perspective on what works.

Yeah time to piss of the EPL, Field hockey, Gaelic football, etc fitness regime.

Lets get an AFL appropriate fitness regime, not some hybrid s**t. First 2 years our Burgo fitness regime had an advantage. Next 4, its been nothing special.

Get a Australian Football expert to review it. Trouble is those experts already are stitched up.

Last edited:
Our pre-season programs will only change slightly under the current fitness regime. We simply replaced Australian Burgess with Northern Irish Burgess. One thing is for sure, they strongly believe they have one of the best programs in the AFL. I'm inclined to agree that we have a good program from purely an injury management perspective but we ******* suck at being able to get our best players on the field for high TOG, midfield rotations and generally managing players on game day. I'm also strongly unconvinced that we tailor the right programs for the positions our players play.
Cam Falloon - we were wrong!

I think is some of it though, is we are so s**t at disposal and intelligent positioning that we have to get our players having more endurance rather than the strength / size we lament not occurring every pre-season.

You can only compensate for all that extra running to a certain degree though, so 2015 onwards we’ve had the worst of all worlds. Players stuffed from too much (what should be unneeded) chasing, but also too weak (how often do we look like boys against men?), so we lose contests and have to chase more.

I hope 6/6/6 results in play KPP’s, in their areas more, so they can get strength and out muscle any lean mids dropping back into Defense. It’s Ken though so it’ll be ‘run harderer longerer and Dixon lose another 10kg!’ :(

Remember when Dan Comerford replaced Burgess the first time he walked out on us?

Brought us classic fitness programs like 'the wheelbarrow'

Club_Pre-season_med.jpg

Remember when Dan Comerford replaced Burgess the first time he walked out on us?

Brought us classic fitness programs like 'the wheelbarrow'

Club_Pre-season_med.jpg
This is how Thomilf got home after another large night at Rumours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something that should be reviewed but won't be is our inability to value add our fringe players.
Long gone are the days of Bode, French, Eagleton etc. Nowadays we are good at devaluing players come trade time.

Is it drafting or are we doing something wrong at the club/coaching/team selection level or even at trade time where we refuse to trade a player at peak value when we have the opportunity such as Lobbe, Butcher etc.

Something that should be reviewed but won't be is our inability to value add our fringe players.
Long gone are the days of Bode, French, Eagleton etc. Nowadays we are good at devaluing players come trade time.

Is it drafting or are we doing something wrong at the club/coaching/team selection level or even at trade time where we do not want to trade at peak value.
I believe our ethos over recent years has been ‘family cllub’ and ‘stability’ over all else and we saw that as our way to a flag.
It seems though that whilst that approach has given us happy and content players, and ones who don’t want to leave, they have lost the killer edge.
It looks like the club has seen the error now.

I believe our ethos over recent years has been ‘family cllub’ and ‘stability’ over all else and we saw that as our way to a flag.
It seems though that whilst that approach has given us happy and content players, and ones who don’t want to leave, they have lost the killer edge.
It looks like the club has seen the error now.
Yeah but it also includes not having added any trade value to players such as Atley, Drew, Frampton etc.
We probably wouldn't be able to get a 4th rounder for the 3 combined.

Is this so called review an internal one or are they bringing people in to apply some heat.
If it is an internal one koch can stick it up his butt as it will be completely worthless imo.

Our skills acquisition coach in a technobabble way has just tweeted "let them play" (and don't over coach).

Technobabble is a red flag for me. Better to explain complex concepts simply than to make simple concepts sound complex.

Hopefully that tweet is not representative of his communication style internally and his message resonates with Kern and co.

Technobabble is a red flag for me. Better to explain complex concepts simply than to make simple concepts sound complex.

Hopefully that tweet is not representative of his communication style internally and his message resonates with Kern and co.

Ken would be like "yuse blokes run hardery and I'll coach softery."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back