Kyabram DFL discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

A 2 div comp and grab some surrounding teams that are also struggling.
Yea+Broady combined team or even bonnie doon

I’d be interested to see how this would work.

Currently with 14 clubs, you’d want another 4-6 to make it viable.

Then there’s the wider impact in other leagues.

So many variables, distance, grades and where clubs draw players from.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

All of footy in country Vic needs a shake up so why not start the process

For those that know me would know that I’m not against a league shake up, I’m just interested in your take on how to do it.

Either split in two via competitiveness or geographical lines. I’m not a fan of promotion and relegation so if you decided on a split do it and then let things settle for a few years

Here is something left field…..
There is probably 10 clubs within a 1 to 2hr radios that realistically will never compete at the top end of the ladder ever again.
Most of these clubs will eventually die a slow death which no one wants to see.

These clubs could form a league of there own. 50k salary cap
Senior football & 2x senior netball side
Might have to get creative with list sizes Or permit type top ups.

These clubs will survive and have no major
Burden on other clubs who can sustain 70/80k budgets.

I would rather travel further for a chance of winning and success then going 15kms down the road for a 200 point floggin.

Just don’t know how to structure juniors into that plan.
But I think junior footy is just about dead unless the AFL, Hubs & Clubs get serious about fixing it.

There is probably 10 clubs within a 1 to 2hr radios that realistically will never compete at the top end of the ladder ever again.

I would rather travel further for a chance of winning and success then going 15kms down the road for a 200 point floggin.

But I think junior footy is just about dead unless the AFL, Hubs & Clubs get serious about fixing it.
Who are those 10 clubs Snake?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A review into junior football within the region was done in 2018 , only 1 covid unaffected season ago .

9 each Division would be ideal playing 8 other Clubs twice but if one Division had to roll with 8 that would be workable IMO. Broadford, Yea and Kilmore would all be targets to add.

9 each Division would be ideal playing 8 other Clubs twice but if one Division had to roll with 8 that would be workable IMO. Broadford, Yea and Kilmore would all be targets to add.
It helps the lower end clubs look more attractive.
It could eliminate those 200+ point losses.
If I was younger and still playing footy those clubs would come into question to where I would play footy.

A review into junior football within the region was done in 2018 , only 1 covid unaffected season ago .

Which I believe endorsed trying to align junior grades across leagues.

Junior Comp leading into GVL at U10, U12, U14, U16, U18

Kyabram District to work to join Murray and Picola with U14, U17.

Which I believe endorsed trying to align junior grades across leagues.

Junior Comp leading into GVL at U10, U12, U14, U16, U18

Kyabram District to work to join Murray and Picola with U14, U17.

Think all comps should align to u14 and u17’s and only one team per senior team .
GVL as the premier league in the region having u19’s .

So by that do you mean no reserves in all leagues ?
No I don’t , I don’t believe any club should have more than 1 team in an age group feeding it beyond u12 level and I believe age groups 14 and beyond should all be the same in the region , but I do acknowledge that GVL’s highest junior age group should be higher to increase the amount of top age juniors that play senior footy.

No I don’t , I don’t believe any club should have more than 1 team in an age group feeding it beyond u12 level and I believe age groups 14 and beyond should all be the same in the region , but I do acknowledge that GVL’s highest junior age group should be higher to increase the amount of top age juniors that play senior footy.
Need to get rid off the U/15s comp in the shepp juniors or the U/16s GV, not enough kids for the 2 comps

Think all comps should align to u14 and u17’s and only one team per senior team .
GVL as the premier league in the region having u19’s .

Sadly for the KD juniors the kids aren’t living in our towns. As a game in the Goulburn Murray we need to work together to get to a solution.

I’m toying with the idea that GV clubs can run a second team under the banner of a neighbouring district club. Some have perfect synergy of location and playing uniforms.

For instance Shepp United’s second team could take the field each week following the Tallygaroopna fixture. They could still train as a Shepp United outfit, but work with the KD club. This would get all kids playing in a club environment and hopefully engaged beyond juniors. Obviously the “Tally” kids would need to be included in such an arrangement.

Benalla to Violet Town
Echuca to Girgarre?
Euroa to Avenel
Kyabram to Lancaster
Mooroopna to Undera
Rochester to Stanhope?
Seymour to Nagambie
Shepparton to Dookie
Shepp Swans to Longwood?
Shepp United to Tallygaroopna
Tatura to Merrigum

Perhaps leaving Murchison-Toolamba, Rushworth and Shepparton East as ‘stand-alone’ clubs for their junior pathway. You’d like to think that these three clubs would have the drawing power/population base to field junior teams. (Possible alignment with 2 GV clubs in some way)

To tidy it up Mansfield could align with Bonnie Doon and have the same… if the Bombers were seen as a good fit for the KD. In doing so it also solves the junior issue that confronts Benalla and Mansfield who have to send their juniors to Wangaratta.

It would get clubs and leagues working together to improve our game.

Sadly for the KD juniors the kids aren’t living in our towns. As a game in the Goulburn Murray we need to work together to get to a solution.

I’m toying with the idea that GV clubs can run a second team under the banner of a neighbouring district club. Some have perfect synergy of location and playing uniforms.

For instance Shepp United’s second team could take the field each week following the Tallygaroopna fixture. They could still train as a Shepp United outfit, but work with the KD club. This would get all kids playing in a club environment and hopefully engaged beyond juniors. Obviously the “Tally” kids would need to be included in such an arrangement.

Benalla to Violet Town
Echuca to Girgarre?
Euroa to Avenel
Kyabram to Lancaster
Mooroopna to Undera
Rochester to Stanhope?
Seymour to Nagambie
Shepparton to Dookie
Shepp Swans to Longwood?
Shepp United to Tallygaroopna
Tatura to Merrigum

Perhaps leaving Murchison-Toolamba, Rushworth and Shepparton East as ‘stand-alone’ clubs for their junior pathway. You’d like to think that these three clubs would have the drawing power/population base to field junior teams. (Possible alignment with 2 GV clubs in some way)

To tidy it up Mansfield could align with Bonnie Doon and have the same… if the Bombers were seen as a good fit for the KD. In doing so it also solves the junior issue that confronts Benalla and Mansfield who have to send their juniors to Wangaratta.

It would get clubs and leagues working together to improve our game.

3 clubs having their own juniors and the rest not having them would give those clubs a massive advantage over time and make the rest unsustainable .
Don’t agree with the GV alignment concept kids who aren’t going to be good enough to be in GVL’s thirds not being aligned with district clubs at a young enough age is what is causing the issue now IMO.

Last edited:
3 clubs having their own juniors and the rest not having them would give those clubs a massive advantage over time and make the rest unsustainable .
Don’t agree with the GV alignment concept kids who aren’t going to be good enough to be in GVL’s thirds not being aligned with district clubs at a young enough age is what is causing the issue now IMO.

Love getting your perspective Roar!

I was actually thinking that not being aligned would be a disadvantage.

KDL is down to 8 thirds teams this year, so was looking for a solution.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back