Society/Culture Kyle Rittenhouse

Cyg1992

Team Captain
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Well, we are pretty Americanized. And it was made political by Biden, Whoopie, CNN, Cenk, that tool Lebron, plus many others by the sounds of it and then seeing that, Fox and the right jumped on board and made Rittenhouse their boy. So its not that shocking its become political and Aussies talk about it.
Not 'we' speak for yourself.
If you put stock into what garbage all those people you listed say plus the christian conservative grifters and media tycoons, that's on you.

All this is pretty easily ignored if you look beyond your social media feed.

This issue should be totally irrelevant in our country. It's disturbing that it is.

Cyg1992

Team Captain
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Not really. There's been a bit of work unpacking how/why people get radicalised, and it boils down to this: they do it as disaffected lonely young men (as it's usually men) seeking community, and they find it in these people. You listen to Shapiro, Crowder, Molyneux and their messages are comforting: you are not at fault for the inadequacies you feel in your life, it's them (whoever 'them' is in the moment). If you listen to one of their videos, the algorithm matches you to more.

And it's designed to be easy to consume, easy to become addicted to the parasocial relationship.

It's kind of a little scary how easy it is to fall into that kind of a bubble of opinion reinforced by other opinion, which is what it is. It's why these videos are a comforting mishmash of essentially the same thing over and over.

That does not mean that they shouldn't be held unaccountable for what they say, or that they're the victims. One can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time; one can be both victim and victimiser. But there's an element of 'there but for the grace of god go I' to this stuff.
I agree.

It's the fast food of current events, aimed at simple minded peanuts.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree.

It's the fast food of current events, aimed at simple minded peanuts.
Think we need to come across an alternate term, an alternate way of descibing getting sucked into this bullshit. A way to adequately depict how folks get sucked in by it but come to their senses.

Because that, in and of itself, is the trick of fascism. They are able to convince the gullible of the unpalatable, and they rely on individuals being too ashamed of what they have done to come clean.

'Simple minded peanuts' makes others less likely to come forward. We as a society need to come forward with a new narrative for those escaping from a neolib or otherwise ideologically compromised place.

Cyg1992

Team Captain
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Think we need to come across an alternate term, an alternate way of descibing getting sucked into this bullshit. A way to adequately depict how folks get sucked in by it but come to their senses.

Because that, in and of itself, is the trick of fascism. They are able to convince the gullible of the unpalatable, and they rely on individuals being too ashamed of what they have done to come clean.

'Simple minded peanuts' makes others less likely to come forward. We as a society need to come forward with a new narrative for those escaping from a neolib or otherwise ideologically compromised place.
For mine, people just need to be grown ups and realise what is factual and what is ideologically driven propaganda.

I have friends and peers who come from almost identical backgrounds to me who have actively chosen to swallow all that is fed to them from those propaganda outlets and build camp in those rabbit holes.

There should be no shame in growing up and being gentle and kind with these types hasn't worked. They simply dive in even deeper, in my personal experience.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
For mine, people just need to be grown ups and realise what is factual and what is ideologically driven propaganda.
Out of interest, how much research have you actually put into the process of online radicalization?

Because I missed it by a hair's breadth. I was getting the videos in my youtube, I was on a number of forums, and I am from one of the communities they prey on for a continuous stream of angry young men. The only reason I didn't get sucked in is because I liked Dark Souls (the video game) and parts of that community are extremely wholesome and hostile to that kind of infiltration.

If you want deradicalization, you need to understand how people are radicalized in the first place, and by saying that you just need to realize what is factual and not propaganda fails to cater for the biases that everyone - you, me, the smartest person alive and the most foolish - has. We all think we're right; we all think we're immune to the effects of propaganda.

We're not.
I have friends and peers who come from almost identical backgrounds to me who have actively chosen to swallow all that is fed to them from those propaganda outlets and build camp in those rabbit holes.

There should be no shame in growing up and being gentle and kind with these types hasn't worked. They simply dive in even deeper, in my personal experience.
I'm not talking about gentleness. These people are not nice people; they're bigots.

What I'm saying is that looking at the whole process of deradicalization as simply the difference between truth and lies is missing the point. People don't choose to be racist, bigoted, trans or homophobic; people choose to remain part of a community that comforts them in their world view, reinforces that world view, and isolates them from people who think differently. They operate like cults do, with the specific intent of pulling you deeper. First, you think it's political correctness that's to blame for society not making sense to you, then Crowder puts a video in there about freedom of speech and links you to Stefan Molyneaux, then you get pushed to Sargon of Akkaad, then Paul Joseph Watson. You start out watching Pewdiepie for his streaming, then he drops a few Nazi salutes and catchcalls as a joke and it throws you but the rest of the community seems fine with it. Someone posts a link to something like Stormfront, and you read up and it makes you angry, and the people there are angry, and you like it. You try to tell your friends about it, even though your online friends tell you not to tell them, but you try anyway and it goes down exactly as they said it would.

Just to be clear, this isn't my experience at all, but this is likely the avenue that I would've gone down. I had these people in my feed; I had an active interest in youtube atheism and social issues, and I watched some of these videos. There is but a hair determining whether you go one way or the other, and the thousands of people who have gone the other way tells me that you cannot go soft on them but so too can you not aggressively simplify it into dumb versus smart people, people who accept propaganda and those who don't.

Give this a squiz if you get a tick:

Last edited:
Out of interest, how much research have you actually put into the process of online radicalization?

Because I missed it by a hair's breadth. I was getting the videos in my youtube, I was on a number of forums, and I am from one of the communities they prey on for a continuous stream of angry young men. The only reason I didn't get sucked in is because I liked Dark Souls (the video game) and parts of that community are extremely wholesome and hostile to that kind of infiltration.

If you want deradicalization, you need to understand how people are radicalized in the first place, and by saying that you just need to realize what is factual and not propaganda fails to cater for the biases that everyone - you, me, the smartest person alive and the most foolish - has. We all think we're right; we all think we're immune to the effects of propaganda.

We're not.

I'm not talking about gentleness. These people are not nice people; they're bigots.

What I'm saying is that looking at the whole process of deradicalization as simply the difference between truth and lies is missing the point. People don't choose to be racist, bigoted, trans or homophobic; people choose to remain part of a community that comforts them in their world view, reinforces that world view, and isolates them from people who think differently. They operate like cults do, with the specific intent of pulling you deeper. First, you think it's political correctness that's to blame for society not making sense to you, then Crowder puts a video in there about freedom of speech and links you to Stefan Molyneaux, then you get pushed to Sargon of Akkaad, then Paul Joseph Watson. You start out watching Pewdiepie for his streaming, then he drops a few Nazi salutes and catchcalls as a joke and it throws you but the rest of the community seems fine with it. Someone posts a link to something like Stormfront, and you read up and it makes you angry, and the people there are angry, and you like it. You try to tell your friends about it, even though your online friends tell you not to tell them, but you try anyway and it goes down exactly as they said it would.

Just to be clear, this isn't my experience at all, but this is likely the avenue that I would've gone down. I had these people in my feed; I had an active interest in youtube atheism and social issues, and I watched some of these videos. There is but a hair determining whether you go one way or the other, and the thousands of people who have gone the other way tells me that you cannot go soft on them but so too can you not aggressively simplify it into dumb versus smart people, people who accept propaganda and those who don't.

Give this a squiz if you get a tick:

No disrespect but this is a normie taken in itself. Pearl clutching about surreptitious right-wing radicalisation is reminiscent of the 'Satanic panic' of the 1980s in my humble opinion.

That the likes of milquetoast guys like Molyneux, Sargon and Pewdiepie(FFS) are considered gateway drugs to Nazism just demonstrates, to me at least, how far the Overton window has shifted in the last few years.

Last edited:
Pearl clutching about surreptitious right-wing radicalisation is reminiscent of the 'Satanic panic' of the 1980s in my humble opinion.
Except you have actual neo-Nazis traipsing around the place building up little cells of violent idiots:

Except you have actual neo-Nazis traipsing around the place building up little cells of violent idiots:

from my very brief scan it seems the 'lads society' larpers had 38 active members. Seems to me genuine Neo-nazism isabout as much of an epidemic as people killed by Black sabbath fans in the 80s

the 'lads society' larpers
Yeah but that isn't the only group. They form, dissolve, re-form. They aren't static and they aren't going away. They are at times clever with their messaging and at times stupid. They smuggle their Nazism inside other campaigns like the anti-mandate movement, "Aussie pride" type rallies and so on.

I wouldn't write them off as nothing. They aren't likely to take over the country but they are likely to get people killed.

Yeah but that isn't the only group. They form, dissolve, re-form. They aren't static and they aren't going away. They are at times clever with their messaging and at times stupid. They smuggle their Nazism inside other campaigns like the anti-mandate movement, "Aussie pride" type rallies and so on.

I wouldn't write them off as nothing. They aren't likely to take over the country but they are likely to get people killed.
In my view the left, particularly in the mainstream, way overplay their hand in regard to this hand wringing about neo-nazis in every nook and cranny. Ultimately it has the reverse effect as disaffected youth constantly being called Nazis just because they dont support BLM, or whatever is this weeks popular cause, come to see it all as pretty meaningless. Further they see their favourite youtubers or tweeters getting kicked off of the platforms for daring to question the dominant narrative. If you want to know want genuinely radicalises impressionable minds it is that.

When i first started posting on this forum many moons ago people were forever handwringing about Stormfront. Almost 20 years later I see people here are still worrying about them. Have Stromfront even grown in that time?

When i first started posting on this forum many moons ago people were forever handwringing about Stormfront. Almost 20 years later I see people here are still worrying about them. Have Stromfront even grown in that time?
Their denizens have formed different groups over the years. Moved to other platforms. Far as I know it wasn't "a group", just a forum for white supremacists and neo-Nazis.

I don't see this happening. Give us some examples?
Come on mate, you just have to watch the T.V for a couple of hours and they'll mention Neo-Nazis.

I had to laugh the other day when Putin said his reason for going into Ukraine was to save them from Neo-Nazis within. Its all so ridiculous.

Come on mate, you just have to watch the T.V for a couple of hours and they'll mention Neo-Nazis.
Honestly: which TV channel or show?

The last I saw about it was a flurry about the shirtless bush-walking Nazis months ago. Then the aftermath of the thug who attacked the TV security guard.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
No disrespect but this is a normie taken in itself. Pearl clutching about surreptitious right-wing radicalisation is reminiscent of the 'Satanic panic' of the 1980s in my humble opinion.

That the likes of milquetoast guys like Molyneux, Sargon and Pewdiepie(FFS) are considered gateway drugs to Nazism just demonstrates, to me at least, how far the Overton window has shifted in the last few years.
Don't think you read my post, personally, so it's difficult to see any disrespect in the first place.

Big_Birdy

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
If it was an Aboriginal policeman who shut a lunatic white man charging at him with an axe, he too would've been found not guilty. Stop trying to create racial hatred by pushing your agenda.
That’s not what happened.

Walker was attacking them with a pair of surgical scissors.

The shots were also to defend the other officer, not himself.

Back