Recommitted Kysaiah Pickett [Re-Signed till 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

But isn't that subjective to what four years you are talking about?
2021 - port used their first
2022 - port traded their first
2023 - port traded their first
2024 - port would need to use that first otherwise they would have only used one in a four year period.

It has to be calculated from the previous rolling 4 year period otherwise its Cherry picking which year is the start of that 4 year block.
So to trade out 2024 they must have used two firsts in the previous 3 years.
Does trading in a no.1 pick from the 2021 draft count?

But isn't that subjective to what four years you are talking about?
2021 - port used their first
2022 - port traded their first
2023 - port traded their first
2024 - port would need to use that first otherwise they would have only used one in a four year period.

It has to be calculated from the previous rolling 4 year period otherwise its Cherry picking which year is the start of that 4 year block.
So to trade out 2024 they must have used two firsts in the previous 3 years.
In typical AFL style there is grey areas. If you trade in a player close to draft age (JHF), exceptions can be made. Which I don't mind TBH.

We have all this year to see how Pickett goes. If he has a super year then he would be worth a similar value, if he has a bit of a quiet year then it will be less.
While people might not agree with it, a bit of currency is still attached to where they were drafted and seen as a Jr.
I was a big gee for Pickett all through his Jrs, but Rankine in that U18 year destroyed and had alot more impactful body of works than Pickett did.
For all we know he may well re-sign with Melbourne. Plenty of water to go under the bridge.
All I know is that if he wants to go, Melbourne will want a top 5 pick and the team he is going to will offer a late first for him. Where it ends up will be what the teams have to play with pick wise.
I'm a bit confused. Rankine is playing this season the way Pickett has played for 2 full seasons. At the time Rankine was traded however he really hadn't produced on a consistent basis yet. So dees will rightfully want a tonne of value if we lost Pickett. A top 5 pick or 2 firsts. And even then i'd be spewing. A lot will depend on which club he chooses to go to though. If it's Port Adelaide dees will get significant unders so better hope it's not there.

Can’t really complain though. He’s a quality player and Melbourne have prioritised signing their other stars to long contracts.

It’s merely the salary cap doing it’s thing.
Money isn't the issue with signing Pickett. Nor was Jackson. Not sure where you're getting you're info from. It's just home sickness/not liking Melbourne. We could've paid Jackson 900k.

Money isn't the issue with signing Pickett. Nor was Jackson. Not sure where you're getting you're info from. It's just home sickness/not liking Melbourne. We could've paid Jackson 900k.
Yeah I simply do not buy that you could’ve paid Jackson 900k. I would say Pickett would also be getting pretty good offers from SA and WA. Not saying home sickness isn’t also a factor.

Charlie Cameron was a fraction of the player Kozi is at the same game. And he was traded for pick 12
C Cameron was dropped due to poor form a couple of times in 2017 (the year he was traded to brisbane)..

His set shot goal kicking was actually pretty poor too but he seems to have really cleaned that part of his game up..

Pickett is miles ahead of CC of 2017.. and worth far more than pick 12 and I think we were lucky to get pick 12 for CC tbh.. he was still contracted for another year for the crows is probably why.

I’d be asking for a pick in the top 5-7 for him and if the club he choses hasnt got that then 2 firsts.

The lad is a gun.

Would love him at Adelaide even if we probably need a classy big bodied mid more.. although by years end if the last two weeks of Dawson in the centre continues.. we may already have that on our list.

We shouldve picked Kossie with pick 6 in 2019 instead of McAsey. What a fxxk up that turned out to be..

if the dees lost Pickett we'd have no choice but to take Nick Watson at the draft. The odds that Watson will be as good as Pickett is about 1%. We must hold as you're always going to get shafted for value when out of contract.

At the time most ''experts'' were saying pick 12 was too early for Pickett, so you guys would never have used pick 6. But I know what you mean.
I do believe at the time Adelaide were seriously considering using 6 on kossie.. but with Talia on his last legs the call was made to get a KPD replacement for him..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a bit confused. Rankine is playing this season the way Pickett has played for 2 full seasons. At the time Rankine was traded however he really hadn't produced on a consistent basis yet. So dees will rightfully want a tonne of value if we lost Pickett. A top 5 pick or 2 firsts. And even then i'd be spewing. A lot will depend on which club he chooses to go to though. If it's Port Adelaide dees will get significant unders so better hope it's not there.
Playing the role of small forward can be very difficult and a bit of a feast or famine role, especially in a lower ranked team. Being a forward, especially a small forward, would be a difficult role in the Gold Coast team over the last couple of years given how the ball has come into their attacking 50 at times. Perhaps because of this, Rankine had a tendency to be a bit selfish and go it alone instead of playing the team first game.

On the whole, Pickett has played in a team that moves the ball better than Gold Coast. Also, the senior players and coaches at Melbourne, in particular Gawn, look a lot better at setting standards around attitude and the role players are expected to play than do Gold Coast's. When Pickett has shown glimpses of being a bit selfish, Melbourne have been very good, for the most part, at picking him up on it.

It seems to me that since coming to Adelaide, Rankine's attitude has changed in terms of his role within the team he plays for. From what I hear, both Taylor Walker and Rory Sloan are very good at mentoring younger players and outlining the expectations of the club so it wouldn't surprise me if one of them has had a chat with him. He seems to be playing team first football instead of me first football.

It wouldn't surprise me if the difference between Pickett and Rankine through the first few years of their careers was more to do with the environment they were in than anything else. Because of this, I suspect that, should Pickett leave Melbourne, they'll end up getting very similar to what Gold Coast did for Rankine.

Playing the role of small forward can be very difficult and a bit of a feast or famine role, especially in a lower ranked team. Being a forward, especially a small forward, would be a difficult role in the Gold Coast team over the last couple of years given how the ball has come into their attacking 50 at times. Perhaps because of this, Rankine had a tendency to be a bit selfish and go it alone instead of playing the team first game.

On the whole, Pickett has played in a team that moves the ball better than Gold Coast. Also, the senior players and coaches at Melbourne, in particular Gawn, look a lot better at setting standards around attitude and the role players are expected to play than do Gold Coast's. When Pickett has shown glimpses of being a bit selfish, Melbourne have been very good, for the most part, at picking him up on it.

It seems to me that since coming to Adelaide, Rankine's attitude has changed in terms of his role within the team he plays for. From what I hear, both Taylor Walker and Rory Sloan are very good at mentoring younger players and outlining the expectations of the club so it wouldn't surprise me if one of them has had a chat with him. He seems to be playing team first football instead of me first football.

It wouldn't surprise me if the difference between Pickett and Rankine through the first few years of their careers was more to do with the environment they were in than anything else. Because of this, I suspect that, should Pickett leave Melbourne, they'll end up getting very similar to what Gold Coast did for Rankine.
I agree with most of what you said. The thing is Rankine was traded before his Adelaide early season form. If you can say 4 weeks is form. So if Rankine was traded for pick 5 off the back of not much then Pickett who had kicked 80 goals in 2 season is worth much more. He also has shown a much better defensive mindset.

I hope and expect he stays, but if he were to leave I'd like him to choose Fremantle. :)
Lol, you have already wiped out their picks so they don't have much left for Pickett.

Of all the (reportedly) interested suitors in Kosi, Freo need him the most, unfortunately they sold all their trade capital last season for Luke Jackson (rightly or wrongly) so if they are desperate for him, they would have to pony up a talented young Vic kid like Hayden Young along with their 2nd rounder this year.

But that would create even more list and structure problems for J-Lo or whoever is coaching Fremantle next year.
We have at least as much as Port, tbf.

Don't worry though. We could go in with nothing but pick 300 and future 22nd and the Dees would still find a way to **** us.

if the dees lost Pickett we'd have no choice but to take Nick Watson at the draft. The odds that Watson will be as good as Pickett is about 1%. We must hold as you're always going to get shafted for value when out of contract.
I think Watson is every chance to end up being the best small forward in the comp. He's an absolute freak.

I think Watson is every chance to end up being the best small forward in the comp. He's an absolute freak.
biiiiiiiig call. I don't see how that's even possible considering Kozzie is better than Cyril at the same age. Cyril being arguably the greatest fwd pocket ever. Which means you're saying Watson is going to be one of the goats at 169cm.

biiiiiiiig call. I don't see how that's even possible considering Kozzie is better than Cyril at the same age. Cyril being arguably the greatest fwd pocket ever. Which means you're saying Watson is going to be one of the goats at 169cm.
To be fair Kozi is only 171cm. I think Watson's the best small forward to come through the draft in some time and hopefully that translates to his performances on field once he reaches the AFL.

And you know I love Kozi, so I don't say it to undermine him at all. I think Watson's something special.

I agree with most of what you said. The thing is Rankine was traded before his Adelaide early season form. If you can say 4 weeks is form. So if Rankine was traded for pick 5 off the back of not much then Pickett who had kicked 80 goals in 2 season is worth much more. He also has shown a much better defensive mindset.
Through the middle part of last year Rankine was ranked the #1 general forward of the entire competition, when GC were pulling off some big upsets. All the signs were right there he was close to going to new levels. Probably many just don't watch GC so missed it.

Would love Pickett, looks a gun too though not sure he'll choose Adelaide anyway.

My point was that it was the environment Rankine was in that was the cause of his inconsistency and tendency to be a bit selfish. If this is the case, then any comparison between Pickett and Rankine at Gold Coast when determining value should Pickett leave Melbourne is pointless. The comparison would have to be made with Rankine at Adelaide. Early form at Adelaide suggests that it was, although I agree that 4 games isn't enough to say it definitively.

Rankine had proved that he had the potential to be an elite small forward but hadn't shown it consistently. The most common 2 reasons for this is the environment the player's in and their professionalism or perhaps lack thereof. Both of these are fixable which is where recruiter's due diligence comes in.

My point was that it was the environment Rankine was in that was the cause of his inconsistency and tendency to be a bit selfish. If this is the case, then any comparison between Pickett and Rankine at Gold Coast when determining value should Pickett leave Melbourne is pointless. The comparison would have to be made with Rankine at Adelaide. Early form at Adelaide suggests that it was, although I agree that 4 games isn't enough to say it definitively.

Rankine had proved that he had the potential to be an elite small forward but hadn't shown it consistently. The most common 2 reasons for this is the environment the player's in and their professionalism or perhaps lack thereof. Both of these are fixable which is where recruiter's due diligence comes in.
I agree with that. Rankine had definitely showed that he had the potential to be an elite small forward. Pickett has shown that he is the elite small forward. But like you said, Adelaide paid up for Rankine. Pick 5 is a high pick. And sadly, probably more than what the dees will get due to circumstance and port coughing up picks for JHF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back