Least funniest Australian comedians on tv

Remove this Banner Ad

The bland same same Malbun Comedian Mafia has taken over just about every comedy/panel show there is. It's the same boring idiots doing the same boring jokes and just rotating shows. It's a closed shop.
HYBPA is responsible for bringing Urzila Carlson, Celia Pacquola, Dilruk and more to greater attention. But generally, I agree; there was a festival preview on 10 and it featured Jimeon, Dave Hughes, Akmal, Lawrence Mooney, Kitty Flanagan and maybe 1 or two lesser known comedians (not everyone on that list is bad or tired).

Pete Hellier gets my vote. And he's liberal knob which seals the deal.

Not Strayan but lost respect for Jimmy Carr when it came out he's a massive tax dodger. Posh campaigner isn't a character he plays, it's actually who he is.

HYBPA is responsible for bringing Urzila Carlson, Celia Pacquola, Dilruk and more to greater attention. But generally, I agree; there was a festival preview on 10 and it featured Jimeon, Dave Hughes, Akmal, Lawrence Mooney, Kitty Flanagan and maybe 1 or two lesser known comedians (not everyone on that list is bad or tired).

Kitty is a funny woman!

Page 1 mention is what that smug private school campaigner deserves. Reporting on what's happening in the news and making a smart comment. Yeah that's original. He was ear aids on JJJ but then again that was around when I stopped listening.
*ing lol

anyone see the show about the Doug Anthony All Stars last night? I was never a fan growing up, never really understood their humour.

anyone see the show about the Doug Anthony All Stars last night? I was never a fan growing up, never really understood their humour.

I saw it, I wasn't a huge fan of theirs either, their humour was hit and miss, sometimes they could be funny but other times they were just annoying dickheads.

782545-gen-y-representative-josh-thomas.jpg

Tegan-Higginbotham-Entertainment-Bureau-620x400.png

Are these two nerds characters from Harry Potter?

I saw it, I wasn't a huge fan of theirs either, their humour was hit and miss, sometimes they could be funny but other times they were just annoying dickheads.

On the flip side, Paul McDermott really found his niche once he started doing GNW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australians are funny people but we don't have any stand out comedians who are consistently funny. The U.K. however have blokes like Russell Howard and Greg Davies. Also they have Mock the Week which is amazing.

Australians are funny people but we don't have any stand out comedians who are consistently funny. The U.K. however have blokes like Russell Howard and Greg Davies. Also they have Mock the Week which is amazing.
We absolutely do have standout comedians, if not in the same numbers. Hannah Gadsby, Tim Minchin, Jim Jefferies, Josh Thomas, Adam Hills have all been very successful overseas (not everyone is going to like them all), we have Shaun Micalleff at home. What we don’t have is the kind of comedy shows you mentioned to expose more. Have You Been Paying Attention highlights some good comedians like Celia Pacquola or Dilruk. And the ABC supports plenty of good comedians that most people have never heard of. I reckon we bat above our weight in talent but the scene just isn’t as thriving.

We absolutely do have standout comedians, if not in the same numbers. Hannah Gadsby, Tim Minchin, Jim Jefferies, Josh Thomas, Adam Hills have all been very successful overseas (not everyone is going to like them all), we have Shaun Micalleff at home. What we don’t have is the kind of comedy shows you mentioned to expose more. Have You Been Paying Attention highlights some good comedians like Celia Pacquola or Dilruk. And the ABC supports plenty of good comedians that most people have never heard of. I reckon we bat above our weight in talent but the scene just isn’t as thriving.

Not sure they're the best examples to use when talking up Australian stand up comedians, Tim Minchin is talented but he's more of a musician than a stand up.

Not sure they're the best examples to use when talking up Australian stand up comedians, Tim Minchin is talented but he's more of a musician than a stand up.
The thread is about least funniest comedians and the post argued Australia didn’t have any standout comedians. All five of them are comedians and successful overseas in one format or another: Gadsby and Jefferies in stand-up, Hills as a talk show host, Thomas with a TV show and Minchin in just about everything. All have done stand-up as well though.

Adam Hills makes me cringe every time I see him. Use to think he was ok but his smugness knows no bounds.
Hannah Gadsby's last comedy special had me onboard for the first 15 minutes then I began feeling like a rapist male pos so decided it wasn't really "comedy" aimed at men

Adam Hills makes me cringe every time I see him. Use to think he was ok but his smugness knows no bounds.
Hannah Gadsby's last comedy special had me onboard for the first 15 minutes then I began feeling like a rapist male pos so decided it wasn't really "comedy" aimed at men
Hills can definitely be annoying but he’s carved out a pretty successful career in the UK. I can watch the Last Leg in small doses but rarely get through the whole thing.

As for Gadsby, I’m a white middle class male and I could enjoy her work. It’s definitely not traditional stand-up, wouldn’t watch it every week, but it’s intelligent, powerful comedy, with a message that needs to be heard. I’m secure enough to wear the digs and understand what she’s trying to say.

Yeah I don't like Adam Hills either, I can't watch that Last Leg show because of him even though I like some of the other people on the show.

I've only seen bits of Hannah Gadsby's show that everyone has been raving about but it felt more like a lecture than a stand up routine so not my cup of tea.

There aren't many stand up comedians where I can watch a whole show of theirs for like an hour or more, most are better in small doses like 5-10 minute sets.

Hannah Gadsby's special sucked. I hate it when comedians, instead of being funny, turn their set into a lecture. Same with Bill Hicks. If you wanna get up there and rant and rave then go ahead, but don't bill it as comedy. Hate this idea that comedy has to have a message or be socially conscious.

Hannah Gadsby's special sucked. I hate it when comedians, instead of being funny, turn their set into a lecture. Same with Bill Hicks. If you wanna get up there and rant and rave then go ahead, but don't bill it as comedy. Hate this idea that comedy has to have a message or be socially conscious.

If you want comedy where you don't have to know anything The Front Bar is there.

I don't hate Adam Hills but he's what you get in Australia's media landscape. Free-to-air TV wants stuff 45-year-old mums in Brisbane can laugh at and Foxtel doesn't want anything satire because Murdoch. Even if you can work around that and get yourself a spot, Mitch Fifield will be on talkback radio the next day calling you an arsehole. It's unsurprising comedians with ambition leave when they get the chance.

Hills can definitely be annoying but he’s carved out a pretty successful career in the UK. I can watch the Last Leg in small doses but rarely get through the whole thing.

As for Gadsby, I’m a white middle class male and I could enjoy her work. It’s definitely not traditional stand-up, wouldn’t watch it every week, but it’s intelligent, powerful comedy, with a message that needs to be heard. I’m secure enough to wear the digs and understand what she’s trying to say.

Hills, Gadsby and Thomas are beyond awful, all in their own special ways.

Jeffries has his moments but also just says campaigner a lot.

Minchin is sometimes okay, but in general quite annoying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back