Is a TV an essential item?

Remove this Banner Ad

#23 Hill

Premium Platinum
Jan 22, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is a TV an essential item? Could a person live comfortably without one? Or would it be cruel and unusual to expect them to do so?

You sound like you have a scenario in mind?
These vibes hey Chief ... :moustache:

Animated GIF

Is a TV an essential item? Could a person live comfortably without one? Or would it be cruel and unusual to expect them to do so?
Not essential.
Food, water, air, shelter are essential ... if you go without a nice-to-have thing for a small period of time you quickly realise you don't need it.

Not as essential as it used to be with the ability to stream tv shows or even live stream tv channels on the internet.

I would have struggled to cope without a tv in the pre-internet days but not so much now, you can get by without it.
True. Imagine the melts if people had to live without their mobile phones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a friend who was one of those insufferable "I don't even have a tv" people.

Except she'd spend 5, 6, 7 hours every night streaming netflix (that she didn't pay for) on her computer, and didn't see how she was unable to claim flog high ground of not having a tv.

Not really relevant to the thread, but what a moron. I can't believe I was friends with her for so long.

You sound like you have a scenario in mind?
I'm a social worker and I had a client, who's couch surfing, ask me if I could get them a TV, because the TV at their current accomodation got stolen. I asked them why the home owner couldn't buy one and they told me the home owner is overseas at the moment. If my client was moving into to their own house our program would help them with furniture and white goods but this situation is a bit different. But it got me thinking about whether a TV is essential.

I had a friend who was one of those insufferable "I don't even have a tv" people.

Except she'd spend 5, 6, 7 hours every night streaming netflix (that she didn't pay for) on her computer, and didn't see how she was unable to claim flog high ground of not having a tv.
So is it essential to be able to watch shows, be it on the TV or the net?

i could live without a tv if i had to. but not without a computer monitor.

i wouldn't miss free to air or most streaming platforms. youtube would be harder to give up and i'd be on my phone looking at it. i can remember some time ago there being a few monitors on the market with tv tuners but it doesn't seem to be a thing now, consumers tend to go the other way if they need to they use a tv for a monitor. inch for inch monitors seem more expensive.
could watch movies, blu rays on the monitor.

most obvious difference is the communal aspect of a big tv, you can involve a few more people than you can for on a monitor of roughly the same price.
if you had to not use a tv you'd switch to a projector for larger viewing area but then may lose some clarity.

Why in gods name would you prefer to watch something on a tablet/laptop rather than a TV? What a bizarre viewing habit

Sometimes I'll go to bed and watch something on my tablet but otherwise I prefer a TV.

Only need it for 1 day a year.
The biggest day of the year.

Grand Final day on channel 7 (we just love the footy)

In saying that, i prefer watching on my 60 incher than a tablet laptop or phone because bigger is better.
But you have these ‘futuristic’ options except for grand final day

I missed watching the 2014 GF because I had Foxtel installed and somehow my tv wasn't allowing me to watch any FTA channels which I didn't realise until just before the game began. I thought about going to the pub to watch it but by the time I thought about that the game was pretty much over so didn't bother.

Not really relevant to the thread, but what a moron. I can't believe I was friends with her for so long.
If your going to be "zoned", it has to be by quality.
You got out while the getting was good.
Good for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back