45 Harrison Petty SA 194 80 DEF
46 Isaac Hewson SA 184 78 MID
47 Brayden Ainsworth WA 183 75 MID
48 Kyron Hayden WA 185 88 MID
49 Thomas Mundy Allies 185 79 MID
50 Ben Miller WA 196 98 FWD

Last edited:
Progressive Phantom Draft.
I liked Bishops format with regards to the phantom draft, so I am stealing the idea.

Pick 1: Brisbane Lions: Luke Davies-Uniacke
Others: I would hazard a guess that Dow or Brayshaw could be the other two options at this point.

Pick 2: Fremantle: Andrew Brayshaw
Others: Dow or Cerra would be my best bets with regards to players that could be next in line here.

Pick 3: Carlton: Paddy Dow
Others: Cerra and Rayner would be around the mark as well at this point. In my eyes if one of the previous names have slide out to here, I would be picking that player.

Pick 4: North Melbourne: Cam Rayner
Others: Stephenson could be around this point as well as he provides that x factor in their team. North have a number of slowish inside mids and some speed and x factor would be nice.

Pick 5: Fremantle: Adam Cerra
Others: I personally think the Dockers will just build their midfield up. They may have liked a forward, but I'm not sold on selecting anyone at this point. Not sure Brander or Fogarty are forwards first and foremost and Allen this is too early for him. I also don't massively rate Hayes, so he is not a consideration for me.

Last edited:

Putting some names forward after getting a chance to watch a few of the potential draft picks for the 2017 draft class.
Just some slightly different thoughts to some of the other respected draft observers out there.
A shout out to Bishop, Knightmare and Chris25 for giving some extra information that helps me narrow down some players to watch.

Obviously my ability to watch most of this kids is massively limited, so my rankings may be completely off due to limited viewing of these players. I do often reach out to a few posters on their thoughts with regards to SA and Vic talent.

If you have any questions with regards to a position on a player, feel free to hit me up.
I'll just talk about a few players here.

1 Adam Cerra Vic Metro 186 85 MID

I thought this kid would be higher on a heap of draft boards and I am struggling to place too many infront of him. Clean hands, nice kick, aggressive in the contest and loves to tackle hard. Can drift forward, take a mark and kick a goal. I personally think has one of the most attacking handballs in this draft class. A lot to like about this kid and I would be slightly shocked if he slips out of the top 5 come draft night.

6 Joel Garner Vic Metro 183 81 MID/DEF
I marked this guy harshly when I watched him live, but watching on TV there are a number of things which I missed during his first game. I love his ability to spoil and get to a contest. It almost looked like he was dual sided with the spoil. Love his kicking action and decision making, I think he has a touch of Mundy about him which annoys me at times with his slow moving.. yet he does not get caught holding the ball.

8 Nick Coffield Vic Metro 190 83 DEF/MID

This is my bandwagon player that is lower in the draft rankings. I love his work in the backline and when he gets a chance in the midfield, I feel like he shows his worth. Lovely size and great hands above his head, watch this space.

12 Oscar Clavarino Vic Metro 195 86 DEF
13 Sam Taylor WA 196 85 DEF

These two defenders look insanely solid and you could almost add Naughton to that mix. I am not completely sold on which defender I like the most, but they're all slightly different in their own regards. I like Naughton's aggressive attacking nature, I like Taylors lock down defending and I feel he has upside and Clavarino maybe is just the safest of the lot so I ranked him first.

15 Darcy Fogarty SA 192 88 DEF/FWD

Fogarty for me showed his best work as a defender. When moved to the HBF against WA, he and CCJ created a wall that nobody could get passed him. When he plays forward, he looks a little lazy with is leading patterns. When he plays in the midfield, he gets caught holding the ball constantly. He attempts to use his pure strength and I personally thought he got found out. Now if he is carrying a bad injury, there is scope to move him higher in the rankings before the end of the year.

18 Sam Hayes Vic Metro 203 93 RUCK/FWD

Hayes is a let down for me. Slow in nature, not very dangerous forward and poor in the ruck, does not show enough grunt and hard work for mine. Is not gifted enough around the ground to cover for his lack of grunt. (English last year).

27 Will Sutherland Vic Metro 195 90 FWD

Need more vision and even knowing if he will be drafted is another bonus.

A few thoughts atm, with a heap of water to go under the bridge yet:

High on Davies-Uniacke, L.O'Brien and Clavarino from their performances at Champs last year.

LDU has since caught everyone's eye and seems cemented as a Top 3'ish Pick. I'd agree.

O'Brien seems respected but not raved about. I think he has Josh Kelly like class and credentials and prospects.

Clavarino, like most gun defenders is recognised but not drooled over. I loved how he handled his opponent and dominated his area at Champs last year. Looks like he has picked up where he left off last year when it counts. If i was a Club needing a defender i wouldn't worry about using a high single digit/low double digit pick on him.

Darcy Fogarty i reckon is a topline AFL player just waiting to get there. Not that he's not trying, just that i see AFL topliner in him.

Petrucelle and Dow i like the sound/look of and want to see more.

Rayner and Worpel i'm not overly keen on in comparison to most.

Rankine looks WOW for next year.

A few thoughts atm, with a heap of water to go under the bridge yet:

High on Davies-Uniacke, L.O'Brien and Clavarino from their performances at Champs last year.

LDU has since caught everyone's eye and seems cemented as a Top 3'ish Pick. I'd agree.

O'Brien seems respected but not raved about. I think he has Josh Kelly like class and credentials and prospects.

Clavarino, like most gun defenders is recognised but not drooled over. I loved how he handled his opponent and dominated his area at Champs last year. Looks like he has picked up where he left off last year when it counts. If i was a Club needing a defender i wouldn't worry about using a high single digit/low double digit pick on him.

Darcy Fogarty i reckon is a topline AFL player just waiting to get there. Not that he's not trying, just that i see AFL topliner in him.

Petrucelle and Dow i like the sound/look of and want to see more.

Rayner and Worpel i'm not overly keen on in comparison to most.

Rankine looks WOW for next year.

Fogarty in my small sample size has not looked great. He does have his knee strapped, so I am partially hoping that is the reason for his poorish showing.

Petrucelle I am really looking forward to seeing his output in the midfield as I liked his run and dash from the back half.

Rankine is going to be a pleasure to watch at AFL level, very close to Wingard for me in style.

What are your thoughts on Ballenden, Naughton & Clark?

Ballenden - I think he looks best in the ruck to be honest and I am not completely sold on his ability to play that role. I think he really needs to show his ability as a forward because someone his size may struggle to hold down a ruck position. I personally don't like picking rucks with top selections, so I could see him sliding down a little further on draft night. I did like his marking last year so he has some ability forward, just not sure he has some good speed to go with his height. Solid skills around the ground so if he can improve his mobility, he may be a good selection for the Lions.

Naughton - I really like this kid, one of the more attacking defenders in this draft pool. I think if you're looking for a lock down defender with an attacking flair, then Naughton may just be your man. I was concerned with his kicking before the champs, but it seems compact and I like his vision. Another great aspect of Naughton is his ability in traffic to get away from a pack, always seems to have time and finds space. Mature body and I could see having some potential to play earlier in his career than most tall defenders. I still remember this kick from the wing into the corridor around a 40+m kick that opened up the play. Those kind of moments stick out as a player with vision and the ability to hit those targets.

Clark - If I am being honest, one of my favourite pre champs players for a prospect. I like his work across the HBF, not the most natural defender, but solid enough and reads the play really well. Then he can move into the midfield and on the wing is where I really like his work. I like his ability to spread and get away from congestion. He does not seem to mind using both sides of his body so that allows him to get out of trouble and makes solid decisions. I'd like to see him show some more ability and spend more time in the midfield. This will really show to me if he can push higher into the top 10. Still he could start his life playing the Kade Simpson role.

What is Coffields AFL position?

I'd start him as a Birchall/Enright styled player and hope that he moves into the midfield. I've pushed him higher in my rankings because I can see his ability in the midfield, the moments he has moved into the midfield he has shown vision and ability in close. I could see him growing a more contested styled game in the back half of this season. (I've not seen his TAC styled form, but only in the champs).
He really stood out in the WA game when I watched him live. Then in the second half of the latest game I thought he really lifted his team when moved into the midfield.

His ability above his head was also a highlight in the WA game, so I think he can hold his own playing taller than his height. Maybe even a Brad Shepherd styled game?

What are your thoughts on him, no doubt you know him better than me?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd start him as a Birchall/Enright styled player and hope that he moves into the midfield. I've pushed him higher in my rankings because I can see his ability in the midfield, the moments he has moved into the midfield he has shown vision and ability in close. I could see him growing a more contested styled game in the back half of this season. (I've not seen his TAC styled form, but only in the champs).
He really stood out in the WA game when I watched him live. Then in the second half of the latest game I thought he really lifted his team when moved into the midfield.

His ability above his head was also a highlight in the WA game, so I think he can hold his own playing taller than his height. Maybe even a Brad Shepherd styled game?

He is a terrific leader and can play just about anywhere. I don't think he will settle in a position he will move wherever he is needed much like a Hodge or Bartel. His composure and movement in traffic is incredible so id like him to become a midfielder but he has mostly played down back for Northern. He always looks dangerous when switched forward as well, his game early in the year where he kicked 4 was one of the best half's of football I've seen from a player this year. He jumped into my top 20 purely off that Round 1 performance.

Two more games worth of information and I've updated my rankings a little to reflect the latest information.

Darcy Fogarty is going to want to show something soon.
If Rayner produces a decent beep test/2km time trial, I could see him moving into position 1. He probably deserves it a little more than Cerra.

Stephenson is moving closer to where I thought he should have been at the before the championships, just has that element of burst speed that you have to love. Looking more comfortable on the wing.

I have a watch this space on Dow and his kicking, it worries me a little.
I'm also getting a little more concerned with LDU's kicking skills as well. I'd like to see him nail a few more kicks in the next game to warrent my high rating of him.

Hi LemmingMaster . With Fagan's mantra being good to elite disposal skills who in your top 3-5 rated players has the best kick. I'm not thinking safe kicks, more take the game on, seem to make time stand still kicks ah la Sam Mitchell/Scott Pendlebury.

Who would be the top 5 kicks in the draft?

Hi LemmingMaster . With Fagan's mantra being good to elite disposal skills who in your top 3-5 rated players has the best kick. I'm not thinking safe kicks, more take the game on, seem to make time stand still kicks ah la Sam Mitchell/Scott Pendlebury.

Who would be the top 5 kicks in the draft?

Depends on the position of the ground.

LOB, Cerra, Coffield, Rayner.... I don't mind Hunter Clark.
Garner could be somewhere in that group as well.

Not sure if there are a heap of insanely elite kicks in this draft just a bunch of very solid players.

LOB is a lovely kick.

He reminds me of Gaff. Not quite the same level of production but similar in style.

Depends on the position of the ground.

LOB, Cerra, Coffield, Rayner.... I don't mind Hunter Clark.
Garner could be somewhere in that group as well.

Not sure if there are a heap of insanely elite kicks in this draft just a bunch of very solid players.
Hunter Clark a chance for st Kilda?..local mt Martha boy

What do you love so much about Cerra consistently having him top of your rankings?

The main game that stands out for me is the WA game.
He tackled insanely hard, worked well in close and has some of the best hands in the championships. Seems to be a one touch player that also has a defensive side to his game. Spreads well from the contest and always looking to create space.
He moved into the forward line and looked dangerous there as well, loved his leading patterns. I was attempting to look at a heap of other players but he just stood out to me.
If Rayner records a decent endurance score before the draft camp, I could see him being picked with the first selection.
Fogarty - Every game I've seen he has looked bad.
LDU - I had him around the pick 1 mark, but his kicking is a slight worry for me.
Hayes - Not worth a pick 1.
Stephenson - Very outside, kicking has some issues so I would prefer that inside/outside midfielder.
LOB - Very outside as well, I prefer the more inside player.

Not sure what other players people are considering with pick 1, but for me other than Rayner, I think Cerra can do it all.
I'm also jumping slightly on the Constable and Coffield bandwagons as well and if I had more balls, I could move those two into my top 5 as well.

Im not convinced he defends well enough but he has been terrific in the nationals which is all you can do.
My worry with him is he can play lots of positions but does he play any well enough.
I think Kyle Langford has suffered from this. I agree half back is probably his position.

The main game that stands out for me is the WA game.
He tackled insanely hard, worked well in close and has some of the best hands in the championships. Seems to be a one touch player that also has a defensive side to his game. Spreads well from the contest and always looking to create space.
He moved into the forward line and looked dangerous there as well, loved his leading patterns. I was attempting to look at a heap of other players but he just stood out to me.
If Rayner records a decent endurance score before the draft camp, I could see him being picked with the first selection.
Fogarty - Every game I've seen he has looked bad.
LDU - I had him around the pick 1 mark, but his kicking is a slight worry for me.
Hayes - Not worth a pick 1.
Stephenson - Very outside, kicking has some issues so I would prefer that inside/outside midfielder.
LOB - Very outside as well, I prefer the more inside player.

Not sure what other players people are considering with pick 1, but for me other than Rayner, I think Cerra can do it all.
I'm also jumping slightly on the Constable and Coffield bandwagons as well and if I had more balls, I could move those two into my top 5 as well.
Thanks I am really buying into this draft with all the names you have mentioned and that is ignoring Ballendan, Balta, Brander, Sutherland and CCJ as decent KPP players seems like a great top 15 IMO.

On Cerra he seems like a player as you say with few flaws and a two way game, great to know he has such clean skills. Is his only knock potentially pace?

Im not convinced he defends well enough but he has been terrific in the nationals which is all you can do.
My worry with him is he can play lots of positions but does he play any well enough.
I think Kyle Langford has suffered from this. I agree half back is probably his position.

I was a huge Langford fan as well, so I could be falling into that trap again. I guess if he proves to be another Langford, I am going to have to remember that for following years rankings.

You certainly nailed my main concern with him and Langford was exactly the player he reminded me of a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back